The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBLindsay's brain droppings

Sounds like a great cream. Can't wait to see what you got up your sleeve.

Wednesday 3/21/2018
Straight Shave #799

• SV Artisan 2.0 26mm Badger
  • Chiseled Face/Zoology -Nightingale
  • Geo. Wostenholm Pipe Razor
  • Hammond Bouquet
I didn't put much thought into today's shave, just grabbed the first razor in the rack and the first soap on the hidden, under-sink, shelf and lathered it with the most trusted brush in the den. The Chiseled face soaps effeminately get better with age and this one is aging well. Whenever I think Nightingale I think of two things, the first is my Grandma who loved to whistle and would whistle like a Nightingale ...the other is the Tiki hut at Disneyland "...let's all warble like the nightingale...". You ever notice that people don't spend but time whistling anymore? I don't recall my mom and dad whistling a whole lot but my grandparents definitely took the time to master the skill.

Anyway, the scent on this soap is plenty strong and definitely has a grandma vibe. I like that i can smell it throughout the shave so i don't mind the grandma vibe. Pairing it with a few little spritzes of @cmh737's Hammond Bouquet just made sense.

The Shave was decent, 3 simple passes and no clean up left me basically BBS, there might be an errant whisker here or there but otherwise I am BBS. The razor is plenty sharp but just didn't feel wonderful, maybe some finishing time on the hone will improve this OR i just need to strop the dickens out of it.

Meanwhile...back at the farm...
My 9 year old is scheduled to attend Lego Land tomorrow with her school and we are going to tag along then stay over night so we can go see the wild flowers on Friday. The sad news is the biggest rain storm of the season is currently dumping rain in the central/northern portion of Cali and expected to move south toward the Sand Diego area tonight. Weather projections call for 1-1.5" of rain in the area we plan to be tomorrow. We are hoping the school will cancel the field trip rather than travel almost 3 hours to find out the outdoor theme park is floating. This all means I don't really know my schedule for the rest of this week, we may still go since we can stay and play in the area or we may kill the idea and go to the science center this weekend.

Oh I am pretty good at whistling.

Wow that is a significant amount of water for that area.

Great read and shave Chris!

Bummer when mother nature interferes with plans.

Nice shave Chris, even if the blade wasn't keen enough to tickle your willies. I've been eyeballing the Nightingale scent...not sure what to make of your "grandma" comment...lol.

With the lack of rain your area has experienced this past year, it would figure that the trip would be affected by a rainstorm...a significant one at that. Hopefully your plans pan out and it is a nice get away.

Dagwoodz said:
Nice shave Chris, even if the blade wasn't keen enough to tickle your willies. I've been eyeballing the Nightingale scent...not sure what to make of your "grandma" comment...lol.

With the lack of rain your area has experienced this past year, it would figure that the trip would be affected by a rainstorm...a significant one at that. Hopefully your plans pan out and it is a nice get away.
The most appealing part of the Nightingale scent is that it isn't "wild" or "feral" like the Rhino, or even Civet. Although the scent isn't the same I would say the Hammond Bouquet cologne is very similar in that it is a unique interpretation of plant and floral. Hard to say it is a must have scent but it is a very good version of premium scented soap.

I don't know why it just hit me, frameback would be pretty close to what a Weck is no?

NurseDave said:
I don't know why it just hit me, frameback would be pretty close to what a Weck is no?
Frameback razors come in a few different varieties but yes, it is similar to a weck but it shaves really different. Most frame back razors have very stiff blades considering how thin they are. The Engstrom is more of a true frame back, it has a blade (made of swedish steel) inserted into a frame that includes the spine and tang. I have other frame back type razors that the tang and blade are all one piece and the spine is a piece of metal that is slipped over the top like a straw that has been sliced down the length. Once i get this stupid Engstrom honed properly i think you will find a new level of enjoyment.

Quijote said:
Nice shave. Any special plans for #800?
Not really. Looks like I’ll be getting up REALLY early tomorrow to drive 2-3 hours to LEGO land (Which has already posted that they will have the rides closed) so my daughter can participate in a 1hr class.
I think I may have beaten the NurseDave Engstrom into shape so maybe I’ll test drive that for#800

CBLindsay said:
Meanwhile...back at the farm...
My 9 year old is scheduled to attend Lego Land tomorrow with her school and we are going to tag along then stay over night so we can go see the wild flowers on Friday. The sad news is the biggest rain storm of the season is currently dumping rain in the central/northern portion of Cali and expected to move south toward the Sand Diego area tonight. Weather projections call for 1-1.5" of rain in the area we plan to be tomorrow. We are hoping the school will cancel the field trip rather than travel almost 3 hours to find out the outdoor theme park is floating. This all means I don't really know my schedule for the rest of this week, we may still go since we can stay and play in the area or we may kill the idea and go to the science center this weekend.

This reminded me of a pic I just needed to share. My daughter in Legoland in the rain back in 2007.

CBLindsay said:
Not really. Looks like I’ll be getting up REALLY early tomorrow to drive 2-3 hours to LEGO land (Which has already posted that they will have the rides closed) so my daughter can participate in a 1hr class.
I think I may have beaten the NurseDave Engstrom into shape so maybe I’ll test drive that for#800

Man O man, that dude looks like he’s been through a few rounds!

Sskim3 said:
So many framebacks is that, Chris?
I am guessing I have at least 10 still in the den. Of course I have that very attractive gold trimmed one you gave me, still going strong. I’ve been lucky to find a few Engstrom’s at great prices that have been passed along but I’ve kept most of the CW Dalgren razors I’ve picked up. Regardless of the make or design I am a sucker for an interesting frame back

Saturday - 3/24/18
Straight Shave #800

• SV Artisan 2.0 Badger
  • J.Engtrom FrameBack “NurseDave’s”
  • Proraso Single Edge “vetiver/Cedar” Cream
  • Proraso Vetiver Cedar post shave balm
Strait shave #800 is now official on the books. I had a somewhat hurried morning but still opted to log #800 by using the Engstrom I have been working on for a long while. To eliminate potential problems caused by a bad soap choice I went with the Proraso SE, flat out great stuff and I love this scent. I really could use this stuff exclusively if I needed to. The cream has been spread at the bottom of a 4 ounce tin so I can load it easily, it has dried out a little but still loads and lathers great. Of course the trusted SV brush did its part.

The shave was rather uneventful, a simple 3 pass routine needing little in the way of clean-up. The Engstrom did great. the edge was nearly perfect as it was but I decided to take it to the Welsh Stones for a proper finish before I pack it up and send to to NurseDave. This razor shows a little age but still has its original horn scales and very little signs of rust. The spine shows pleanty of wear as a result of my beating it into submission but the blade still has a little smile near the toe.

No photo of this shave but I’ll get some photos soon.

Sunday 3/25/18 was a no-shave-day...rare? Yes, but called for.

On the homefront: I spent the last several days doing things with the family. LEGO land, the flower fields at Carlsbad, the California Science center (including a visit to the Endeavor shuttle) and WAY too many hours on the road in typical So cal traffic. I would say I spent about 15 hours on the road over a 50 hour span. LEGO land was tolerable and the flower fields were interesting. It was fun to visit the science center again, I often end up going there for various meetings and workshops but don’t take the time to walk through it all. I got a few photos of the old shuttle which was cool. As a kid I was able to watch both the Columbia and Challenger land on the Edwards Air Base dry lake run ways...both eventually had their own disastrous ending. Guess it’s cool to have been part of that history non-the less.

1st of all!

Great job on the J.Engtrom FrameBack!
Great read and shave!

Sounds like you had a busy but fun trip!

Congrats on 800 Chris! Great job on the Engstrom as well. Science museums are always a good time, kiddos or not. Sounds like it was a great time overall, even if the traffic wasn't cooperating.

Back