The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

Friday February 28, 2020
2020 Shave # 62 ( 480 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: PolSilver SI (?)
Brush: Cadre Member Brush, Cashmere
Soap: Tallow & Steel Maya
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
Aftershave 2: Bootleggers Bay Rum
Fragrance: Tom Ford Noir Extreme

1st of a few that I pulled a sample from the sample pass box was one I've been curious about for awhile. Maya was the scent still readily available that was least "What in the world is that" and I wanted to try the soap base. Very good soap but not a scent for me. I am going to try Kyoto as this is the scent I would put on a to buy list but alas it isn't available. May try that tomorrow. Having 7 more samples to try means I should be able to mail this out next Friday. The Fatboy has sat and it was time to call it to the plate. It didn't disappoint as I got a stellar shave from setting 5. After some Maravilla 70 I splashed on some Bootleggers Bay Rum because................ it was on the shelf and I haven't killed the sample from KJ yet. It's nice but I much prefer my Anthony's which is from my brothers Barber up in PA. Some Tom Ford Noir Extreme not because I'll be around anyone today as I'm doing things at home, but I wanted to smell good and I CAN !! That's all Cadre, Have a Stupendous day !!!
View attachment 17984
Nice looking shave Dave! I've been meaning to try out a vintage Gillette adjustable,I will purchase one, one of these days..

Saturday February 29, 2020
2020 Shave # 63 ( 481 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Tatara Masamune Nodachi SB
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: The Shaving Cadre 1st Anniversary Brush
Soap: Eufros Park Avenue
Aftershave 2: Nivea 2 into 1 Aftershave
Fragrance: Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

1st shave with Euphros soap and Park Avenue is a nice scent I can't describe but liked and was curious about the makers base so pulled a sample from the pass around box. Great soap base and would buy if they have a scent I want in the future as the scent strength was nice and strong. Also 1st shave with the Nodachi SB razor from Tatara. EXTREMELY well engineered and machined razor. Initial thoughts are I like it and will try with my go to blade of a Wizamet. Today was an Astra SP on recommendation that it's a best fit for the razor. Hoping a Wizamet is better for me as the Astra SP just isn't sharp enough for me and never has been. It's an okay blade but not as efficient with my whiskers. Looking forward to more shaves and getting to know this razor. Video uploaded with again just INITIAL thoughts as it was just the 1st shave. Have a great day Everyone !!!!!
IMG_20200229_052040444.jpg

Sunday March 1, 2020
2020 Shave # 64 ( 482 Consecutive Shaves )
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Brush: Rubberset 400/Maggards Synthetic
Soap: T&S Kyoto
Aftershave 2: Aqua Velve
Fragrance: Bvlgari Aqva Amara

2nd shave with the Nodachi razor from Tatara. Chose T&S Kyoto for the soap today and took a bit getting the lather I wanted due to not getting it loaded onto the brush (soft soap pushing around the bowl) and then adding too much water and got a frothy lather that eventually came around closer to what I was looking for. Not a problem with the soap, just need a tub of it but it's no longer available. Anyway on to the razor. Installed a fresh Wizamet blade and got a better shave with it but still dialing in the angle which seems to requires you to lean more to riding the cap than I normally do, but that's where the sweeter spot is for cutting. The longer handle makes this more difficult for me to do so comfortably but we will continue the science experiment tomorrow. After some Maravilla 70 we topped off with Aqua Velva and some Bvlgari Aqva Amara. Video will be in the VLOG member section. Have a great day Cadre !!
IMG_20200229_203108909.jpg

Monday March 2, 2020
2020 Shave # 65 ( 483 Consecutive Shaves )
Blade: Wizamet (2)
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft Silvertip
Soap: Razor Master Pine Tar
Aftershave 2: Stirling Texas on Fire
Fragrance: Bvlgari Man In Black Essence

Today was shave #3 with the Tatara Nodachi and I've used it enough to know that it is an extremely nice razor but not for me. I will say today was the best shave I had with it yet but more effort to get there than compared to other razors FOR ME. You shave long enough and you learn that things can be talked up or talked down on the forums but until you try things yourself you don't know if it's a fit for you. Some take it personal if you don't agree with there assessments. I don't as there have been razors that were raved about that I didn't care for. There have also been razors people talked negatively about that were perfect fits for me. Yes sometimes it has to do with a persons technique not being refined enough. I've been shaving like this since 2008-9 and know what works for me. I got a better shave with my Wizamet blades but still it required too much clean up and buffing to get there due to the angle required for the sweet spot that while a great and extremely well manufactured razor, it isn't one I feel the need to grab right away. Not saying I won't get one down the road. Just not a must have. I personally can get a far better, closer and more comfortable shave with my 6s plate 5-6 or the .84 Game Changer. Again this isn't a knock on the razor. This is my experience with it for me personally. I thank Tatara and Dan for doing the pass around and appreciate being a part of it. Have a great day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200302_053921256.jpg

Back