The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

beginish’s Eye on a Splintered Mind

Some updates. Windsor soap is done, moving on to an impulse-purchased jar of Omega cream (“Proraso Green Light”). Great performer. I bought a tube of Proraso styptic. At least I thought it was. Turns out that it was moustache wax. I should learn to read Italian.

Replaced my tube of moustache wax with an Osma styptic pencil. Thoroughly enjoying the Omega cream and in no hurry to kill it. I’ve still got a couple of months left. It’s not like the 3 T’s creams and not quite the consistency of Cella, but definitely a bit more dense. A liberal hand with the water gets a nice lather explosion and the eucalyptus oil is so understated that I’m actually liking the scent. Proraso could take a lesson here.

Replaced my tube of moustache wax with an Osma styptic pencil. Thoroughly enjoying the Omega cream and in no hurry to kill it. I’ve still got a couple of months left. It’s not like the 3 T’s creams and not quite the consistency of Cella, but definitely a bit more dense. A liberal hand with the water gets a nice lather explosion and the eucalyptus oil is so understated that I’m actually liking the scent. Proraso could take a lesson here.
Hey, great to see you! Omegas another cream I should try some day before it gets discontinued!

Hope all is well!

Yup, it's a tough field to be in right now. One of our walking buddies is a nurse and she had enough and packed it in back in January. A slew of her coworkers are getting ready to walk away as well. Beyond the workload, the government here capped their wage increases at 1% pre-pandemic and only pays lip service to the value they bring.

Yup, it's a tough field to be in right now. One of our walking buddies is a nurse and she had enough and packed it in back in January. A slew of her coworkers are getting ready to walk away as well. Beyond the workload, the government here capped their wage increases at 1% pre-pandemic and only pays lip service to the value they bring.
That's a crying shame. Many people come to realize and appreciate the value of nurses only once they are hospitalized.

Bob, what is your field of work?

Hard to believe, but I’ve only finished half the jar of Omega so far. The lathers are really, really good. I like that it’s a eucalyptus soap that doesn’t smell like Proraso. Unfortunately, it doesn’t smell like much of anything to me, so I’m getting bored with it. Time to really ratchet up the loading to “load it like it owes you money.”

Booster Polar Ice AS is also getting to the end, and I’m determined to finish it this fall. I have already purchased a tube of TOBS Jermyn Street AS cream for the winter, and it smells great. It will be a nice change for the cold weather.

The brushes in my stable have been totally reliable, and after about 6 weeks with my Semogue 1470 (perhaps the best version of Semogue for quality/performance and price), I switched to my Simpson 55 in Best Badger. The Fifty series from Simpson remains, for me, the most versatile brush design.

I have been rotating razors between the Schick M type injector, EJ DE89L and old reliable Gillette Sensor. I just can’t complain about shave quality. Having been a traditional wet shaver for more than 20 years at this point, and a hobbyist since 2009, I’m at the point where it’s not a hobby anymore. I don’t buy just to acquire, but to use. Maybe I’m boring, but I hang around the boards for the people, and not for the gear. I may not post a lot lately, but I’m still around.

I’m at the point where it’s not a hobby anymore. I don’t buy just to acquire, but to use. Maybe I’m boring, but I hang around the boards for the people, and not for the gear. I may not post a lot lately, but I’m still around.
Great to see ya post Bob and know that you’re lurkin 🕵️‍♂️

Boring is good! Balances out the crazies like @Scuttlesoap

Great to see you on the forum, Bob. I am glad that you are doing well and getting great shaves.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with boring. It means you know what you are going to get.

I’m finally nearing the end of my jar of Omega. It’s more of a croap like Cella than anything. Heck, I can’t complain about the quality of the shaves at all. Considering that I have gotten more than 6 months of 5 day per week shaves out of it, this soap’s a steal. I have a large hole in the bottom and what’s left is retreating to the edges. Definitely a goner by Christmas.

I also finished the bottle of Polar Ice and am now using TOBS Jermyn Street AS cream. It’s virtually unscented and unlike some other creamy balms, it absorbs easily. Great stuff performance wise. I’m also sticking with the EJ DE89L as my razor and have just picked up DE blades in the drugstore. The King C Gillettes were ok, but a little rough. I’m now using a 10 pack of Goodline blades. They’re pretty smooth. The drugstore blades are all more expensive than the packs we can get from the online shave shops, but right now I can’t be bothered to go chasing down the perfect blade, and I ain’t buying a 100 pack of anything.

Back