The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

beginish’s Eye on a Splintered Mind

6 months! What is that thing? The love child of a PdP puck and some P.160 Tipo Duro?

Beats me! I’ve been way overloading for the last few months and if I’d stuck to the load I was doing for the first 4 months, I’d probably be looking at another 4 from now. Great stuff.

Going through the Chaos Thread and GIF/Meme thread today, and I’m laughing my head off. Back in the day, I bought these cloth bound box sets of The Complete Far Side and Complete Calvin and Hobbes and to this day, they give me nothing but joy.

Big gap in updates for the last several months with much going on, and not all good. I hated that Clubman soap and ultimately ditched it early. It was, honestly, the worst soap I’ve ever used. Then I moved on to a new puck of Cade soap, which is on its second or third reformulation since ai first used it in 2010. At the time, I loved the scent but had trouble getting a stable lather. Since then, performance hasn’t changed, and it was still tough for me to get a stable lather. Load for fully one minute and I could get 2 reasonable passes (the first always better than the second). I used several different brushes and a boar was the best performer.

After two months, I finished that puck. I still have a Cade puck from circa 2014, but I’m putting it at the bottom of the pile. I have since moved on to Saponificio Varesino, Manna di Sicilia in the Beta 4.3 formulation. It is outstanding, and one of the best performing soaps I have ever used. 12 seconds of swirling is all I need to get 3+ passes worth of rich, slick, cushioning lather. Without exaggeration, I have gotten just one weeper in almost 2 months using it with DE blades (in a mild EJ and a Slim Adjustable), compared to multiple weepers per week before that. I can’t recommend this soap for performance highly enough. I managed to find a seller who had it for $31 per tin, so that’s still pricey even compared to the $51 I’ve seen elsewhere. It’s been worth the splurge for me.

The SV sounds like it's a winner, Bob. Needing to load so lightly, it might even be more economical for you than many other soaps.

I’m still working on the SV and estimate that I have about 1/3 of the puck left. Weirdly, I’ve been working on it for 3 months and have no itch to get it over with and move on to the next. I don’t think I’ve ever had that happen before. Scent’s great, performance and protection rock and I just get great shaves from it. I can count the number of nicks and weepers on one hand.

I’m still working on the SV and estimate that I have about 1/3 of the puck left. Weirdly, I’ve been working on it for 3 months and have no itch to get it over with and move on to the next. I don’t think I’ve ever had that happen before. Scent’s great, performance and protection rock and I just get great shaves from it. I can count the number of nicks and weepers on one hand.
I understand the feeling about not tiring of SV. I chalked it up to enjoying the state of "it doesn't get any better than this!"

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back