The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

beginish’s Eye on a Splintered Mind

wicked-elphaba.gif

Very nice Bob! 😍
There is a lot to be said for 3 band Super.

The Hive really, really, really would have been better with a higher loft. You don't do anyone any favors by putting Manchurian badger hair in a dense knot AND setting the loft low. Maybe if I didn't face lather, it would be fine, but I do, so it isn't.

I'm closing out this week's set of album listens with 'Eat a Peach' by The Allman Brothers Band. This band provided the single greatest concert experience of my life in the early 90's at the Beacon Theater in New York City. The album was the last to include Duane Allman before his tragic death, and is, in my opinion, one of the all-time great records.

That Simpson Hive looks sooo different what what we have been accustomed to seeing, Bob.

I agree. I had a Vie Long Beehive once, and it was almost a clone of the Rooney. An Omega Beehive boar I had was slightly different from the Rooney, but unmistakeable. Simpson went out of their way to do their own take on the Beehive shape/concept.....in a good way! The business end of the brush could be more to my liking, but there is no disputing the elegance of the handle.

Listened to Dylan’s first album yesterday, and am currently listening to The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan right now. I think that’s the second one. Many recall the infamous time when he got booed at Newport Folk Festival for going electric. They shouldn’t have booed. They should have wept instead. He is so, so good on acoustic guitar. These songs are all iconic, but the full album listening experience puts them all in context; of a time; of a place; of one man’s brilliant mind.

This Rooney Beehive is just spectacular…an absolute joy to use. In one of the synthetic brush threads a couple years ago, I said that they were fantastic tools but lacked a soul. You could put this Rooney down on the Ouija Board and get a ton of hits.

The Eagle today was just great. There was this period of time in the 2010-2012 range where Simpson's Best grade of hair just had really soft tips. Rumor has it that this custom Eagle had a Chubby 1 knot stuffed into it, so it's dense with a really comfortable handle. The Rover from last week (same general time frame) isn't as densely packed and the knot is pillowy soft with a nice springiness. It falls between the resilience of Manchurian and the pushover nature of 3 band Super. I also used a DE today for the first time in more than a year and a half, breaking out the Mergress to use with the King C Gillette DE blades I got in the supermarket. The razor did a nice job on 3 day beard growth. It was a little rough, but I kind of expect that from just about any new DE blade. The true test for me will be on Thursday following 3 consecutive shaves. If the blade is worth its salt, it will have broken in and be pretty smooth. Will report back.

As I mentioned before, one of my resolutions for 2022 was to spend more time with music, so I have been listening at a minimum to one album per day. I tend to gravitate toward rock of a certain era, but have a pretty good breadth of jazz and classical experience too. In the hidden list below, I've detailed Month #1 of my project, and highlighted those albums that are new to me. Some of the albums contain songs I've heard (many times) before, but I haven't listened to them all as a piece. I'm trying to give myself a broader experience, especially with indie performers, Broadway and rap/hip hop. I'm not having an easy time of it with rap and hip hop. I haven't found something that resonates with me yet, and even tunes that I do like will often have some of the must repugnant lyrics I've heard. It's kind of off-putting. It's not that different from some of the stuff from Zeppelin, for instance, ***cough***cough***The Lemon Song***cough***, so I may just be getting old. Revelations this month were 'Mingus Ah Um' by Charles Mingus and 'The Velvet Underground & Nico' by The Velvet Underground. I have always held a personal dislike for The Velvet Underground, just because they were a favorite of Andy Warhol, whose work I can't stand, and was very pleasantly surprised by the album. It's not perfect by any means (no matter what the VU stans have to say about it), but is something that I will listen to again.

1/1/2022 The Honeydrippers (Vol. 1); The Honeydrippers
1/2/2022 Promises; Floating Point; Pharoah Sanders; London Symphony Orchestra
1/3/2022 Tallahassee; The Mountain Goats
1/4/2022 Mozart Clarinet Concerto; Sabine Meyer, Staatskapelle Dresden
1/5/2022 The Wall-Live in Berlin; Roger Waters
1/6/2022 The GOAT; Polo G
1/7/2022 Wicked; Original Broadway Cast
1/8/2022 Brandi Carlile; Brandi Carlile
1/9/2022 Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 3 "Eroica"; Leonard Bernstein; New York Philharmonic
1/10/2022 The Best of Rent; Original Broadway Cast "Rent"
1/11/2022 Rush; Rush
1/12/2022 Milestones; Miles Davis
1/13/2022 Things Fall Apart; The Roots
1/14/2022 Eat a Peach; The Allman Brothers Band
1/15/2022 Monk; Thelonious Monk
1/16/2022 Camp; Childish Gambino
1/17/2022 Bob Dylan; Bob Dylan
1/18/2022 Aoxomoxoa; Grateful Dead
1/19/2022 Ramones; Ramones
1/20/2022 Cabaret; Original Broadway Cast
1/21/2022 Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2; Herbert von Karajan; Berlin Philharmonic
1/22/2022 Trios II; Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris
1/23/2022 Star; Belly
1/24/2022 Skylarking; XTC
1/25/2022 Talking Book; Stevie Wonder
1/26/2022 Mingus Ah Um; Charles Mingus
1/27/2022 Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 4, 5 & Egmont Overture; Leonard Bernstein; New York Philharmonic
1/28/2022 Get Nervous; Pat Benatar
1/29/2022 Swing Easy!; Frank Sinatra
1/30/2022 Merrily We Roll Along; Original Broadway Cast
1/31/2022 The Velvet Underground & Nico; The Velvet Underground

After a week with a King C Gillette blade purchased in the supermarket, I’m prepared to call it fine. This will never happen, but if I’m ever in a pinch and need DE blades, I have no problem picking some up, even at the nutty price they charge for them.

Back