The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

beginish’s Eye on a Splintered Mind

The tin of SV is getting thin in the middle, so I think I'll break through pretty soon. When I make these predictions, they always happen faster than I think, so it could break through tomorrow! SV is excellent and easily one of the best soaps I have ever used. I don't regret breaking my policy of not buying new soap myself until I get the stock down to unobtainium. This stuff has been great and something I will buy again, and maybe sooner than I would plan for. I just had the rug pulled out from under me with MWF, and I don't want that to happen again, but I'll be darned if I will overbuy and horde soap again.

6/8/2023: Schick Adjustable (set on 5) with Schick Blade/Plisson Synthetic for L'Occitane brush/Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia soap/Thayer's Lavender Facial Toner

I've broken through the SV to the tin. It won't be too long now, and I'm not even trying to use it up quickly. We're just at the point in the life of a soap when it can't hop onto the brush fast enough.

I’m milking the SV for all it’s worth. By now I have scraped the soap out of the edges and pressed it back into the bottom of the tin twice now. The soap just delivers, and we’ll see how much longer I can get from it. I am not a harsh grader of soap performance (give me a decent lather without much muss or fuss and I’ll be happy), but when you get a stand out, I’ll sing it’s praises.

I have a very short list of outstanding soaps that are still available (Provence Sante Green Tea, Pre de Provence, Boellis Panama 1924, Vitos Super Extra Coco, TOBS Jermyn Street), and am now adding Saponificio Varesino to that elite list. I dare say that it may be the best currently available.

I have started and finished a lot of soaps in my time, so I’ve used just about all of the classic, major brands. Most of my current stock is out of production or unobtainium. I know which ones I will milk for all they’re worth and WON’T give them the 3017 treatment. I have my eye out for discontinuation notices for the ones above and will make sure to pick up another puck or brick should the day come.

Long time, no Journal.

Finished the SV, wept for a time, started a 9 year old puck of Musgo Real, weep periodically, and broke out the Chubby 2 Synthetic to accelerate the process.

Currently using my Mergress with Personna Platinum blade (getting about a week from the blade), and now that the weather has changed, put away my half bottle of Proraso ASL and took out my half tube of Jermyn Street AS cream (good stuff!).

With the exception of about a week or so, I've used badger all this year. Need to swap over to boar + synths for next year.

No Musgo soap in my stockpile, but a few of their creams. 2024 will mainly be a cream year for me, as i will try to work through a few tubes of various partially used stuff before tacking new tubes.

With the exception of about a week or so, I've used badger all this year. Need to swap over to boar + synths for next year.

No Musgo soap in my stockpile, but a few of their creams. 2024 will mainly be a cream year for me, as i will try to work through a few tubes of various partially used stuff before tacking new tubes.

I will happily use a tube of Musgo cream. It’s the best. One thing I look forward to with the slow approach of my graduation from 3017 is regular use of creams. Don’t get me wrong,I like the soaps and their old school nature. I really appreciate a cream’s ease of lather and strength of scent. Soaps just don’t deliver the scent experience nearly as well, IMHO.

Long time, no Journal.

Finished the SV, wept for a time, started a 9 year old puck of Musgo Real, weep periodically, and broke out the Chubby 2 Synthetic to accelerate the process.

Currently using my Mergress with Personna Platinum blade (getting about a week from the blade), and now that the weather has changed, put away my half bottle of Proraso ASL and took out my half tube of Jermyn Street AS cream (good stuff!).
BarberDave’s house of predictions Chop House and Cigar Lounge has consulted with the magic 8-ball and predicts more SV in your future 😄

Did the last yard tidy of the year today, mowing the front and back with edging and some weeding. After more than 20 years using a manual push mower (I don’t have a big yard), we got an electric mower this year and made for an easier job of it. Of course we also dug new flowerbeds in the lawn, so maneuvering around the edges got a little more complicated. Still, it’s always nice to have a tidy castle just before the (hopefully) cold weather sets in.

My frustrating puck of Musgo is on its last legs. It started breaking into chunks thanks to the determined loading with the Chubby 2 synthetic. I’ve pressed the remains of the soap into the dish and expect a speedy exit by the end of the month. A virtually brand new puck of Penhaligon’s Sartorial has already been moved into the ready position.

Back