The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

beginish’s Eye on a Splintered Mind

beginish

The Dr. Who of the TSC
With a hat tip toward Alan Dean Foster’s 1978 sequel novel to Star Wars, ‘Splinter of the Mind’s Eye,’ I bring you periodic random thoughts on various topics from my head.

I am truly inspired by the rich journals that TSC has cultivated, providing the members here with such a great venue for making it possible. No other shave-centric site does it better. Check in now and then for what kind of plants I can make grow in this fertile soil.

Eye splinters are no fun. Be sure to see a doctor about that. 🏥 but I hear vets might be a little cheaper.

When I started with this hobby, I did the same thing I always did whenever someone gave me advice...I didn’t listen. I intentionally avoided the things everyone said you should try.

Simpson? Nope, my first year was Rooney.

Rooney 1/1? 3/1? Nope, I went with the 2/1.

Eventually, my SBAD raged, and I tried them all, and ended up using all brands, but I got a very good idea what I liked, and the Simpsons were it. Even then, I went with the off the beaten path Simpsons, Keyholes, Harvards, Beauforts, the Classic 1, the Rover!

However, my first Simpson was the 57 (my buddies got the 56!), and in that I found the perfect combination of handle size and shape, and knot size and density. It was downhill from there and I vowed to acquire the full set of Fifties. It took a few years, but I finally topped off the set with the big ol’ 59. Truthfully, it’s too big and the 55 is a bit small, but the whole lineup is a murderers row of soap killing Best Badgers, and not one of them sheds.

Without further ado, I present my Fifties.....

76745AD0-E045-4E9F-957E-991AC96413A9.jpeg

WOW That went Left in a hurry, nice Brushes Bob, ..... I think... I will never look at a Simpson brush the Same way again.... Thanks Sam!

Back