The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Beekeeping

Sounds fun. We've already got plans, including working with the bees at the local farm.
This sounds awesome! Looking forward to picking up all my items or building them over the winter. I'd like to start with two hives in the spring! :)

This sounds awesome! Looking forward to picking up all my items or building them over the winter. I'd like to start with two hives in the spring! :)
Have you taken any classes yet? I see a bunch of people on the facebook groups jump right in and then they ask a ton of basic questions, just showing they weren't ready to get bees. I've taken several classes and I still don't feel ready. It seems quite easy at first, btu there's a whole lot to it and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how much there is to it that I still don't know.

Have you taken any classes yet? I see a bunch of people on the facebook groups jump right in and then they ask a ton of basic questions, just showing they weren't ready to get bees. I've taken several classes and I still don't feel ready. It seems quite easy at first, btu there's a whole lot to it and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how much there is to it that I still don't know.
I have not taken any classes as of yet. I have attended two monthly meetings of the Jefferson County Bee Keepers Association and have visited the apiary once for a demonstration. I will be enrolling in the late summer class and the February class to get myself all set up.

It's intro to beekeeping season again. Lots of beekeeping classes are happening now or soon will be. I went to my local beekeeping club's class last weekend, and part 2 of that class is tonight. I'm also attending a Veteran organization's beekeeping class next weekend. They have an apiary on site so we'll be getting into the hives as well. I'm looking forward to playing with the bees again! These are the same two classes I took last year, but I'm taking them again as a refresher and I will be getting my bees in April or May.

I will be enrolling in the late summer class and the February class to get myself all set up.
Matt are you still thinking about getting into bees, or have the worms completely taken over?

It's intro to beekeeping season again. Lots of beekeeping classes are happening now or soon will be. I went to my local beekeeping club's class last weekend, and part 2 of that class is tonight. I'm also attending a Veteran organization's beekeeping class next weekend. They have an apiary on site so we'll be getting into the hives as well. I'm looking forward to playing with the bees again! These are the same two classes I took last year, but I'm taking them again as a refresher and I will be getting my bees in April or May.

Matt are you still thinking about getting into bees, or have the worms completely taken over?
Yep, worms have taken over, busy buying packaging and sticking labels. Maybe next year if I can handle 1 more thing LOL.

It is the time of year where we (here in Southern California and the High Desert area of So.Cal) the bees start to move. Usually they KEEP moving but occationally they rest in a tall Eucalyptus tree or set up shop a little longer lower down near our pool. This week one of the baseball games (I think it was a Dogers game) was delayed 2 hours becasue a bunch of bees that had been in the area behind home plate moved to the outfield fence and formed a huge ball. A beekeeper eventually came out and removed them then threw out the first pitch. No word on what actually happend to the bees but I assume they weren't simply destroyed on site.
The local news made a point of mentioning that just a few years ago our bee population was in real trouble but it seems bees are doing much better now. This was no doubt an anechdotal statement made because they have reported on a few (normal) swarms that have impacted public locations. Perhaps @Spider knows more about the actual state of the worlds bee population, is it still considered threatened or are they indeed doing better.

Perhaps @Spider knows more about the actual state of the worlds bee population, is it still considered threatened or are they indeed doing better.
I don't really know the status of the bees. There are native bees, wild honey bees and managed honey bees. The only thing I know for sure is that there are fewer beekeepers and fewer managed hives being kept in the US than 20-40 years ago.
No word on what actually happend to the bees but I assume they weren't simply destroyed on site.
I saw some of the footage of the removal. It looked like a legit beekeeper and they would have likely put the bees into a hive in their or someone else's apiary. Found swarms are a source of free bees. A package of bees, which is the equivalent of a swarm, costs $150-$200.

There it is. Pretty cool story. I can image how exciting it might be to add those bees to your collection. Home run honey!

False alarm. I misunderstood my source. But should be this week. Hives are set up and ready.

Back