The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Beekeeping

HRH has just started keeping bees, and already has three dozen or so. She says she's got an expert handler coming round to give a demonstration. He'll carefully take out her 38 bees... and soon have them flying round his head.

T

HRH has just started keeping bees, and already has three dozen or so. She says she's got an expert handler coming round to give a demonstration. He'll carefully take out her 38 bees... and soon have them flying round his head.

T
I feel like this should be code or something.

Would love too, however I am dealthy alergic + here anyway I guess most here are all Africanized and very aggressive. Sharon is still pondering , or trying to off me….. not sure of her motivations. 😂😂

Yeah, I have no idea what he’s talking about.

the local ones might be, but if you started a hive, you would use ones that aren’t.
I have heard that but someone I spoke to said that due to the concentration here that within 1-2 generations they are converted. Still investigating , as Sharon really wants to, and there is no doubt that bee populations are dropping to “scary”levels. Without bees it is Game Over

I have been interested for a few years, have read a few books, watched the videos, done the research, just haven't started yet.

So, what are you waiting for?
I have a small yard and don't really have a good spot for them at my house. I have thought about putting a hive at my mother in laws house as there is lots of room there, but not sure how will that would go over with everyone.

I have a small yard and don't really have a good spot for them at my house. I have thought about putting a hive at my mother in laws house as there is lots of room there, but not sure how will that would go over with everyone.
Yeah, someone else's property is always an option. I've told some of my friends for years that if they wanted to put hives on my property, they could. I have a friend in Texas that has bees and I just found out he has to drive 40 minutes to get to his hives. Some people keep hives in multiple locations too. Different areas have different crop and will result in different tasting honey.

Probably because $1.29 is too expensive for someone.
No I would spend any amount on beekeeping stuff, just not a $1.29 on an Utah Football Fight song. That would be like buying a used Q-Tip from a oily poodles ear

Okay...so I signed up for the course. I don't really have any intention of beekeeping at the moment...but knowledge is always a good thing. The wife and I plan to have some rural property at some point, so this course could be very useful.

Okay...so I signed up for the course. I don't really have any intention of beekeeping at the moment...but knowledge is always a good thing. The wife and I plan to have some rural property at some point, so this course could be very useful.
Cool. And you can sign up for it every year if you want to get the latest info. So take it now, to understand what you'd be getting yourself into.... then take it again when you get serious about it.

My wife did it for years, as a kid with Dad, and then after we had our son. Homeskooling on the Homestead, ha! I'll be following along from my Lazyboy.
It is amazing to watch the bees coming and going from the hive, how they "dance" to communicate, etc. It's very difficult to NOT believe in a Creator if you look at the Geometric shapes, the way they choose a Queen, etc.

My neighbor kept bees when my wife did, helping each other out, sharing the spinner, etc. He once bought some European (?) bees that supposedly strengthened his hives health, but all I noticed is they must not like lawnmowers in Europe, cuz those were the only ones that stung me!

When my Satsuma tree starts to blossom with flowers in the spring, my tree comes alive with honey bees. For a few weeks the tree will look like it is moving because there will be so many bees on it. It is one of my favorite times of the year!

I am quite allergic to bees so inviting them to my home or being responsible for "handling" them is far from desirable to me. I can honestly say I have no desire to engage in the hobby itself BUT the idea that some of you guys in the forum who live in areas with unique bee food sources intrigues me. It seems there is potential for a wide variety of honey to be produced by members who live in different areas. And of course if KJ flavors with peppers and such that is another thing.

AND honey can make the skin really happy. Beeswax and honey can both be used in shaving soap if we get creative.

I learned a bit about bee keeping in college (I wen to an agriculture school) so I understand the concepts but have never put them into practice myself. I grew up with a neighbor who kept bees in her back yard and she had a huge garden/farm of all kinds of fruit trees and various vegies, never tried her honey but I am sure it was pretty good. Back then the bees were kept in wood boxes (like you typically see) but I have seen many creative hive designs available today, some made to make collecting honey easier or to maximize the use of space.

Do we need to join a beekeeping forum now? :ROFLMAO:
I am sure we can add a section for beekeeping here if enough people are interested but I would think finding/joining a legit beekeeping forum would be VERY important if you guys want to be successful...but of course you need to come back here and share your stories.

Back