The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Beekeeping

We've taken two beekeeping intro classes so far.

First of all, our local beekeeping club, The Johnson County Beekeeper's Association, had a 2-day Beekeeping 101 class. The first day was all day on a Saturday, and the second was 2-3 hours on the next Thursday. This was just enough information to get me more interested in the hobby, but not near comfortable enough to start caring for my own bees. The fee for this class also included membership to the club for a year (that's smart). So, we'll be attending their monthly meetings and getting to know other keepers in the area. I already know a few people from work that keep bees, so I'll have plenty of help when I need it.

The second class was a one day class put on by Camp Valor Outdoors, which is an organization for Veterans an does a lot of hunting and fishing trips for local Vets. They started keeping bees on their lodge property 5 years ago, and offer classes free for vets to get them into the hobby. They have learned that keeping bees can be very therapeutic and helps a lot of vets with PTSD and other issues. They also sell their honey and all the profits go back into the bee programs for veterans (like providing new keepers with a free hive and set of bees). He said he wanted to give me the hive and bees this year to get me started, but I still don't feel ready to start. At the end of that day, we went into their bee yard and opened up the hives to check on their status. It was a really cool experience getting into the hives, holding a frame full of bees, and hearing them buzz all around you. As odd as it sounds, I found it to be very calming.

1686067397264.png1686067420322.png
1686067533493.png

Last edited:
We also just started a 9-month beekeeping course created for veterans called Heroes to Hives, which is based out of Michigan State University. Each month they email you a series of videos to watch, so it's all self paced. We've received one set of videos so far, and they go into a little bit more detail than our previous classes. Missouri University Extension partners with them, and there are 3 apiaries in MO where we can get hands on training and experience. One of them is 10 minutes away! We get our first experience with them this Friday where we will be installing new packages of bees. MU Extension also does a monthly zoom call, expanding on MSU's instruction and giving us things that apply specifically to keeping bees in our area. This course lasts through November. We're very excited for this program.

We just recently went out and bought our own Bee Jackets, Gloves and Hive tools. We're all set for now, unitl we are ready to start buying hive equipment.

If you are at all interested in Beekeeping, I found an awesome free online resource. University of Arkansas recorded one of their beekeeping 101 classes and put it all on YT. I'm about halfway through watching all of the videos, and it is the same type of info I got in my one day classes.

Had our first On-Ground Training at the UCM Farm. We installed 2 packages of bees in two new hives: A Layens hive and an AŽ hive. No, not an Arizona hive, it's a hive style from Slovenia and it's prounounced AH-shah.

We also inspected and reversed their 5 or 6 normal Langstroth hives. Fun day working with the Bees. Amber stayed in the back and just observed. She's slowly getting used to them and used to the idea. She's kind of worried she might be allergic to them, so she keeps a healthy distance.

Queen Cage
1686067067287.png

Package of bees (appx 10,000 bees)
1686067088953.png

UCM Bee Yard
1686067110140.png

Amber chilling with a couple new bee friends
1686067132404.png

Putting Bees in the new Layens Hive.
1686067163843.png

Opening up a Langstroth hive.
1686067197144.png

Last edited:
Brings back memories! I think there's a law somewhere that states hives have to be weird colored. Maybe it's a Michigan thing?

There is definitely something strangely calming in being in the middle of some bee hives on a nice Spring or Summer day as the bees race around hither and yon.

I think there's a law somewhere that states hives have to be weird colored.
The weirder the better. The reason hives are often multicolored, is that the hives need to be painted to protect them from the elements so they will last longer. The bees don't care what color they are, and beekeepers are a very thrifty bunch, so they go buy whatever is cheapest from the returns section of paint stores. The randomness of it all is oddly satisfying.

There is definitely something strangely calming in being in the middle of some bee hives on a nice Spring or Summer day as the bees race around hither and yon.
It definitely is calming. It's an odd feeling, and not what you'd expect.

The weirder the better. The reason hives are often multicolored, is that the hives need to be painted to protect them from the elements so they will last longer. The bees don't care what color they are, and beekeepers are a very thrifty bunch, so they go buy whatever is cheapest from the returns section of paint stores. The randomness of it all is oddly satisfying.

It definitely is calming. It's an odd feeling, and not what you'd expect.
Lol, we used a LOT of old paint on our hives.... sadly, we have been out of the hobby for 5? ish years, and we are seeing less and less bees.... I may do it again next year just for the pollination. The collapse is real.

I may do it again next year just for the pollination. The collapse is real.
There's been a steady decline in the number of hives in the US from it's peak around 1950. About 2 million fewer hives now than then.

Spent a few hours on Saturday at the Bee Yard. We opened up and checked on 6 hives. Only had 5 people there aside from our instructors, so I got a good amount of hands-on time.
1686066578786.png

A Langstroth Hive
1686066612778.png
A frame with capped honey on the top. The girls are working on getting nectar into the rest of it.
1686066644988.png
The girls....
1686066669906.png
A frame from the horizontal hive.
1686066703210.png
The horizontal hive.
1686066732733.png
The AZ hive.
1686066768514.png
Installing bees in this type of hive is tricky, and they started building comb before the last two frames could be inserted. We'll have ot wait for the brood to hatch out before removing this comb to replace it with frames.
1686066796561.png

Last edited:
I forgot to share this before, but last month we went to the grand opening of a local beekeeping supply store.
They gave away 10 frames to everyone who attended (on top of the hive in the pic). And to top it all off, Amber won this hive for us by answering a trivia question correctly! They gave away 3 full hives that day. The best gear is free gear!

1686067614131.png

Dang it KJ, stop posting bee keeping stuff. 😉
Now I am looking at hives again.

Back