The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Beekeeping

Last month when I was working at the college Bee Yard with Heroes to Hives, I got stung 3 times (forehead, nose and hand). The back of my hand swelled up a bit, but other than that, nothing really happened of consequence.

This past Saturday, I was there again and I got stung again on the forehead. I was sitting away from the hives and it was a good 10 minutes after we were done working them. This time the upper half of my face swelled up, mainly around my eyes. Didn't hurt, but it looked kinda bad over the weekend. The facial recognition software on my phone didn't even work to open my phone. Mostly back to normal this morning. Luckily, I'm pretty sure I know which type of bees stung me (Russian variety), and they are not the type I am keeping. My bees have been very chill.

I found out I was allergic after my 2nd sting. 1st time nothing as your body does not know what is it to be allergic. However the second time I got stung, same as you, third time full on anaphylaxis. So get an epinephrine kit just in case. I carry one ALL the time. It is a life saver

I found out I was allergic after my 2nd sting. 1st time nothing as your body does not know what is it to be allergic. However the second time I got stung, same as you, third time full on anaphylaxis. So get an epinephrine kit just in case. I carry one ALL the time. It is a life saver
I’ve received a total of 5 honey bee stings in my life. All have been from the same bees at the college. First sting was last year.

Thankfully not allergic. Been stung numerous times. 3 years ago I got stung in the corner of the eye (almost hit the eye ball), 2 years ago got stung inside the mouth, just behind my front teeth. She crawled into my beer and I did not know. That one hurt, but no reaction.

She crawled into my beer and I did not know.
Similar thing happened to me a few years ago, but it was a yellowjacket. I was drinking a soda from a glass bottle. The offending wasp had flown in the bottle without me noticing. Put the bottle up to my mouth to take a drink and it stung me on the inside of my lip. Thought I'd cut it on broken glass for a minute unitl I realized there was no blood. Minor swelling, but no big reaction from that one.

Just saw this thread and nice to know others are interested in saving the bees. Started out with 2 hives of Russian bees. They are nasty/aggressive suckers. Also as mentioned, they queens are sluts and will mate with any healthy male they can find. Also just got 4 new nucs and split my other hives so we'll see how it goes this year. I do find it enjoyable to just watch the girls coming/going and all the hard work they do.

Hey Michael! Glad to find another keeper on here. I knew there had to bee more than just me.

Feel free to add any pictures, observations, or knowledge to this thread!

Russian bees. They are nasty/aggressive suckers.
Yeah, pretty sure all of my stings came from Russian bees.

Back