The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Beekeeping

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
Does anyone here keep bees? Any new-bees interested in keeping bees?

I have always planned on getting into the hobby, just never knew when I'd find the time to do it. I just discovered a free 9 month online course for Veterans who are interested in learning about beekeeping. It's called Heroes to Hives, www.HeroesToHives.com and is run out of Michigan State University, but is available to any Veteran. Registration for the 2023 course is open through the end of February and the Course runs March-November. There is no obligation to complete the course if you find you don't like it or don't have the time. The information is just available to you to go though at your own pace. You can take a test at the end to get a Certificate of Completion if you like.

I also learned that Missouri University has an Extension program though Michigan State to give local Vets hands on experience at the apiary, which happens to be at the University of Central Missouri farm, which is in the city I live in! I couldn't believe it. At least 4 states have Heroes to Hives partnered programs like this. I'm very excited to learn all I can over the next year, and decide if this is something that I really want (or have the time) to do. I'm thinking if it is, then I will likely start either 2024 or 2025.

I also know a couple of local beekeepers who can help me along the way.

There are other programs out there as well for non-veterans. The University of Nebraska at Lincoln has a Master Beekeeping program, and I believe a lot of their online classes are free.

I'd be happy to share things that I learn along the way, and answer any questions that I can.

Is anyone else interested in this hobby? I'd encourage you to seek out your state and local groups and clubs for more info. Let's learn about this awesome hobby together!

Do we anticipate spicy honey added to your stock?

Do we anticipate spicy honey added to your stock?
Yes! That is one thing I will totally be making. I've already made garlic infused honey with honey I got from a local friend and it's great. I bought a bottle of Nugget Honey from Heatonist (of Hot Ones fame), which is honey infused with Pepper X, and it's good stuff. Can't wait to make my own along with other honey products (especially mead!).

I've always been interested. But never looked into it. Utah is called the beehive state we have a lot of beekeepers here.

Does anyone here keep bees? Any new-bees interested in keeping bees?

I have always planned on getting into the hobby, just never knew when I'd find the time to do it. I just discovered a free 9 month online course for Veterans who are interested in learning about beekeeping. It's called Heroes to Hives, www.HeroesToHives.com and is run out of Michigan State University, but is available to any Veteran. Registration for the 2023 course is open through the end of February and the Course runs March-November. There is no obligation to complete the course if you find you don't like it or don't have the time. The information is just available to you to go though at your own pace. You can take a test at the end to get a Certificate of Completion if you like.

I also learned that Missouri University has an Extension program though Michigan State to give local Vets hands on experience at the apiary, which happens to be at the University of Central Missouri farm, which is in the city I live in! I couldn't believe it. At least 4 states have Heroes to Hives partnered programs like this. I'm very excited to learn all I can over the next year, and decide if this is something that I really want (or have the time) to do. I'm thinking if it is, then I will likely start either 2024 or 2025.

I also know a couple of local beekeepers who can help me along the way.

There are other programs out there as well for non-veterans. The University of Nebraska at Lincoln has a Master Beekeeping program, and I believe a lot of their online classes are free.

I'd be happy to share things that I learn along the way, and answer any questions that I can.

Is anyone else interested in this hobby? I'd encourage you to seek out your state and local groups and clubs for more info. Let's learn about this awesome hobby together!
I watched the Bee Movie - does that count?

1669934105191.jpeg

Thanks for the info KJ! I am mildly interested in Bee Keeping. Though I likely won't actually do it. But knowledge is power and who knows when you might need to set up your own survival community after the zombies take over.

I'll check into it and report back later. I'll also pass it along to some veterans groups I frequent. Thanks!

I've been interested for several years and watched a lot of youtube videos on bee rescue and care. I was thinking of starting in 2024 myself after I establish our garden and wildflower garden. Maybe we'll be starting our apiaries at the same time!

Have fun with it buddy!

I was thinking of starting in 2024 myself
If so, definitely get to learning over the next year, and try to find a mentor in the local area. Here are some resources for you:

If so, definitely get to learning over the next year, and try to find a mentor in the local area. Here are some resources for you:

I'm lucky to have the Jefferson county bee keeping club about a mile away from me. They have an Apiary and have monthly meetings and get togethers. I'm definitely gonna look thought all these other links too! Thanks KJ

I have to comment again on how weird it is how many of us are really similar in our hobby tastes.. Now including Bee keeping..... lol

Back