The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaves & Such

Thanks Don, It only took 6 months to get LOL, but if you remember back to the BB days I always pined over one, and finally decided to pull the Stupid trigger, and boy was it worth it. Best overall brush in the stable
Took a look at the Brad Sears/M&F brush sight...and that one is by far my favorite color combo and maybe my favorite style. One of these type brushes (maybe not exactly like the one you have) is definitely on the short list of must haves!

Took a look at the Brad Sears/M&F brush sight...and that one is by far my favorite color combo and maybe my favorite style. One of these type brushes (maybe not exactly like the one you have) is definitely on the short list of must haves!
Don:
I had stared at that for over a year before hitting the buy button LOL and finally did you will not be disappointed

Don:
I had stared at that for over a year before hitting the buy button LOL and finally did you will not be disappointed
Just curious if you have knowledge. But what would be the biggest difference between the Brad Sears and the M&F. There is a HUGE price difference. It seems as if all the brush handles from both are made by Brad Sears...so is the difference only in the knot?

Just curious if you have knowledge. But what would be the biggest difference between the Brad Sears and the M&F. There is a HUGE price difference. It seems as if all the brush handles from both are made by Brad Sears...so is the difference only in the knot?
Indeed you are correct Don, Brad does do the handles under permission to use the Morris & Forndran name and these are all Bespoke and made to order, and the knots are hand selected and ties by Lee Sabini. I believe the Sears are made by him as "Off the Shelf" with locally sourced knots I believe thus the price difference

Plus shipping (x2) across the pond and back. I believe Brad makes the handles then ships them to the UK, Lee makes and installs knots then the completed brush gets shipped back. They sure are great looking brushes.

Wow! High praise indeed. Thank you for the glowing review. Just don't be too mad when that check I wrote for it doesn't clear. ;)
Few can wield such an edge without donating blood to the shaving gods. Bravo. :)
The "Shogun Edge" TM is achieved by channeling the master's of old Japan. First you must consume out of date gas station sushi. Then once the fever takes hold. Pick up your stones and have at it.
Seriously though. You are half right on the stones used. Actually the Shogun progression is as follows.
Trans Arkansas stone with Gokumyo 1K slurry stone.
Trans Arkansas stone with Gokumyo 3k slurry stone.
Norton 8k
Gokumyo 20k stone first dry then wet.
Translucent Arkansas dry with heavy then light pressure.
There are many ways to sharp. This is my wacky way. That has evolved from trial and error. Some of the steps are quite possibly superfluous. Many try to make honing into some sort of impossible thing. Lot's of what I do is copying from other peoples methods. With a good amount of use what you have thrown in.
The pressure and stroke type vary with grind thickness and quality. And or prior hone wear. Yes entire edge is big emphasis.
Don't think of myself as a "Honemeister" Like to think of myself as a Hone Ace. That way there can be many equal "Aces" out there gunning to take me out. Put on your silk scarf. Test your guns at the end of the runway. I'll be checking my "Six".
Thanks for the compliments.
Fluffy

Wow! High praise indeed. Thank you for the glowing review. Just don't be too mad when that check I wrote for it doesn't clear. ;)
Few can wield such an edge without donating blood to the shaving gods. Bravo. :)
The "Shogun Edge" TM is achieved by channeling the master's of old Japan. First you must consume out of date gas station sushi. Then once the fever takes hold. Pick up your stones and have at it.
Seriously though. You are half right on the stones used. Actually the Shogun progression is as follows.
Trans Arkansas stone with Gokumyo 1K slurry stone.
Trans Arkansas stone with Gokumyo 3k slurry stone.
Norton 8k
Gokumyo 20k stone first dry then wet.
Translucent Arkansas dry with heavy then light pressure.
There are many ways to sharp. This is my wacky way. That has evolved from trial and error. Some of the steps are quite possibly superfluous. Many try to make honing into some sort of impossible thing. Lot's of what I do is copying from other peoples methods. With a good amount of use what you have thrown in.
The pressure and stroke type vary with grind thickness and quality. And or prior hone wear. Yes entire edge is big emphasis.
Don't think of myself as a "Honemeister" Like to think of myself as a Hone Ace. That way there can be many equal "Aces" out there gunning to take me out. Put on your silk scarf. Test your guns at the end of the runway. I'll be checking my "Six".
Thanks for the compliments.
Fluffy
it was my pleasure, I take the same tack, Honing is nothng more than rubbing steel on a rock and does not need to be complicated, and once a good edge is achieved, leave it the HE double hockey stick alone just strop. I guess I am a minimalist in my honing Dilucot on the Coti to water and a sticking, and then to the arks with honing solution Diluark until water only and sticking, then strop the beejesus out of it, Lather, shave, and move on. Great Edge!

Nice shave Dave. I agree, Hipster is a very nice scent.

My favorite part was - "If I buy the open comb base plate" . Bwahaha, he said if, bwahaha. :LOL:

Nice shave.
I also recently acquired a Vector based on your "recommendations". And I must say it's a great razor, I can load a Feather Super Professional in it, and that is the only one which give me full bbs because of my heavy beard. @BarberDave

Nice shave.
I also recently acquired a Vector based on your "recommendations". And I must say it's a great razor, I can load a Feather Super Professional in it, and that is the only one which give me full bbs because of my heavy beard. @BarberDave
awesome I am glad you like it

I had the same initial thoughts about what Hipster would smell like. The scent is definitely more pleasant than I imagined lol! I really like your thoughts on the "ethereal" scent.

Back