The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaves & Such

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
Like some others I have had all my videos all over the place so over time I will condense them here. I like the Vlog Idea and will post my 1st one here soon

Now we will have Bob Ross AND William Alexander!
1f61c.png

I wouldn't know what that kind of dry felt like. It's been mid to upper 80's here, but 70-80% humidity. About 100 in my shop with the forge lit haha.

Great video Dave.

Very good Dave. I was planning on sharing some of my maintenance techniques too. I certainly don’t go through what you do but I can keep an edge in tip top shape doing it.

Great video, Dave! Enjoyed the stories from the barber school...

One question though, that you may or may not be able to answer. From what I've been told, in other states, such as NY, straight shaves must be done with a shavette, with a new blade (from what I understand). Not because the blades cannot be sanitized in barbacide, but because a fixed blade (traditional straight) must be stropped and the strop is what has been deemed unsanitary. Just curious if that is the actual truth...I figure the instructors there would know what the actual truth of the matter is.

Dave is such a show off with his fancy effects and big shave den and crazy honing skills!
1f60b.png
Great video Dave...you keep videos like those up and you will have an army of straight razor wielding gentleman!

Finally got around to watching. Great video Dave! Sounds like Barber school is going really well for you, I’m glad.

Thanks for displaying your post shave razor regimen, I hope to eventually have something like that rather than just a strop and balsa strop. A few questions though when you have a minute, or any other honemeisters who know the answer perhaps:

- My counting may have been off, but it looked like your stone “strokes” and your strop “strokes” differed in count. Stone strokes were counted one way only and strop strokes were counted out and back as one. Why is this?

- I also noticed that on your toe/heel alternating on the stone appeared to be one side of the blade for the toe, other side for the heel. You did not appear to alternate so that you covered the toe of area of the side you did the heel stroke on or the heel area of the side you did the toe stroke on...if that makes sense? This does not effect the edge vs covering the full length of the edge on both sides?

- Lastly, what stone were you using?

thanks Guys, and honestly Chris it was 0530 when i taped it and I really did not keep count and the strokes were all over the place. Under normality I do the following and it is a Arkansas Translucent

10 x-stoke laps on full Smiths Honing solution
10 laps alternating heel/toe
5 laps x stroke on water dilution
5 laps alternating on water dilution
25 on linen
50 on leather
Great video, Dave! Enjoyed the stories from the barber school...

One question though, that you may or may not be able to answer. From what I've been told, in other states, such as NY, straight shaves must be done with a shavette, with a new blade (from what I understand). Not because the blades cannot be sanitized in barbacide, but because a fixed blade (traditional straight) must be stropped and the strop is what has been deemed unsanitary. Just curious if that is the actual truth...I figure the instructors there would know what the actual truth of the matter is.

Josh, Thanks
and that is true some states only allow shavettes, but AZ allows Straights. However a small dilution of Barbacide in Neatfoot oil will santize the strop and the hone which is required before each shave. I will probably us my Feather DX, as it allows a very similar shave to a straight, and allows easy disinfecting, however I will also offer a real straight shave for those that request it, still uncertain at this time, and to one or the other or both

Dave, Thanks for a great video. I really enjoy all the detail. I really admire your endeavors at this stage in life. Wish I could get out there and get a shave by you.

Dave, Thanks for a great video. I really enjoy all the detail. I really admire your endeavors at this stage in life. Wish I could get out there and get a shave by you.
thanks and love the cartoon!

Holy maintenance Batman!

Onward to 500!!

Great video Dave! Nice to see your maintenance routine.
I was wondering if in fact you were the oldest student in your class. I kinda figured you were.

As to the nickname, has the instructor been to your shave den?

Daaaave, good to see you again. Hope all is going well.

Back