The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaves & Such

Believe it or not, Dave is right. No, not that Dave, the other one. But he knew what I meant.

So I know you wouldn't say in the video, but who in your opinion get's the barbershop scent right? Maggard's, Zingari's Wanderer, and Mike's Barbershop are very similar. I am a big fan of Fine American Blend. The first scent I smelled that immediately sent my mind to the barbershop of my childhood was Clubman of course. But to my surprise another one that did was Wholly Kaw's King of Oud, which smells nothing like oud to me, but it smells like the barbershop of my childhood. WK's site says it has aldehyde notes in it, so I wonder if that is it. Have you smelled King of Oud? Have you tried any of the talc-free powders? So some say Canoe smells like Clubman. Does it to you? I am thinking about buying a bottle. Loved the video as always!

Just wanted to let you know Dave that I am really enjoying watching your videos
I find them entertaining and informative.
It's great to watch someone that knows what they are doing with a straight razor👍
Almost makes me want to give it another try ,,,,,almost😜

So I know you wouldn't say in the video, but who in your opinion get's the barbershop scent right? Maggard's, Zingari's Wanderer, and Mike's Barbershop are very similar. I am a big fan of Fine American Blend. The first scent I smelled that immediately sent my mind to the barbershop of my childhood was Clubman of course. But to my surprise another one that did was Wholly Kaw's King of Oud, which smells nothing like oud to me, but it smells like the barbershop of my childhood. WK's site says it has aldehyde notes in it, so I wonder if that is it. Have you smelled King of Oud? Have you tried any of the talc-free powders? So some say Canoe smells like Clubman. Does it to you? I am thinking about buying a bottle. Loved the video as always!
Ok for true Barber Shop Fine American Blend, in all aspects for the soap and AS, Mikes, for Fragrances YSL's Rive Gauche ( the older fornula ) CBL and Lisa's to me. Thats American. and WSP's Barbershop

For Italian . Simple Proraso Green in all aspects, and SV 70th

English, Penhaligon's Bayolea, a modern take on the Old Time, Savoy Steam as well, then T&H 1805 for old School

Although I love the Performance Stirling and Mystic Water are just too powery ( ie Baby powder for a true BarberShop scent. and Yes I have Wholly Caws, and agree I do not inidcate andy Agar in it.

As an overall "Best Pick" inlcuding a "World Barbershop" View, I Have to pick two as the clear winners in this order.

1. Fine American Blend, as the soap, AS and Fragrance are all consistent and the closest to my olfactory
2. WSP BarberShop, same reasons

Canoe to me is just a classic scent, as is Brut probably more so due to my "Dad's" preferences and those memories, however it is a bit softer than Clubman, smoother if that makes sense. Not quite as harsh, creamier. I prefer it to clubman. Made by Dana now so it is not quite what it used to be, but for a "drugstore, Walgreens style brand Canoe is a winner, I think you would enjoy it.

I will try to get the Sartorial out to you not this week but next as I am waiting to go to the post office so I can ship a whole bunch of stuff at once
Hope this helps

Just wanted to let you know Dave that I am really enjoying watching your videos
I find them entertaining and informative.
It's great to watch someone that knows what they are doing with a straight razor👍
Almost makes me want to give it another try ,,,,,almost😜
Thank you sir

Chevelle!?!??! Are you high? It's bigger, but that's still some precision engineering. Bronco...whatever dude :p

Nice video Dave! I have the OREN but the shave is very mild with the 2 dot head and a proguard blade in it. I may try out the 3 dot and see if it is too aggressive.

Chevelle!?!??! Are you high? It's bigger, but that's still some precision engineering. Bronco...whatever dude :p
Have you seen the New Bronco??? it is certainly not a knock, I love that thing

2020-Ford-Bronco-illustration-Avarvarii-1.jpg

Nice video Dave! I have the OREN but the shave is very mild with the 2 dot head and a proguard blade in it. I may try out the 3 dot and see if it is too aggressive.
Ya I still have a hard time believing it will beat the Vector, but we will see

Back