The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaveapalooza

Date: 06.23.2020 Straight Razor Shave #1753
Koraat/SV 6/8 FBH
Brush: Saponificio Varesino Artisan 2.0 Ebony / HMMW
Shave Soap: Saponifico Varesino Cubebe
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Talc: BoroTalco
EdP: Cubebe

Day-10 Tour of Saponificio Varesino
Cubebe

We have arrived at day -10 with only one to go. Cubebe is a nice creamy peppery fragrance that is the epitome, or the sights and sounds of Rome IMHO. The 4.3 Beta is as slick as they get with the addition this time of Manoi de Tahiti ( Tahitian Gardenia and Coconut) and Fragrance notes of Labdanum ( sticky resin from the Rockrose Shrub) and Benzoin another sticky pungent resin, from the Styrex tree. Both of which have both medicinal and healing properties.

The Shave:
The Koraat and all characters played very well together for an outstanding shave DSBBS all the way around, some talc application and more than a few Vasilli's of the Edp and as @Maryland998 would say The Yoga pant army was alerted, LOL

The Set-up:

c1OXwAzh.jpg

Video:

Fragrance Notes:

Cubebe.jpg

Have a Good Day and Thanks for Reading

There it is, one of the few razors that would stand a chance of making me want to try straights again.

Date: 06.24.2020 Straight Razor Shave #1753 (Holding) DE Shave Today
Feather ASD2 / Voskhod (2) @dangerousdon
Brush: Saponificio Varesino Artisan 2.0 Ivory / HMMW
Shave Soap: Saponifico Varesino Desert Vetiver
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver
Talc: BoroTalco
EdP: Desert Vetiver

Day-11 Final Day Tour of Saponificio Varesino
Desert Vetiver
No better way to finish off our journey than with Desert Vetiver. A 2020 special release of the tried and true Beta 4.3. The ever thinking chemists at SV however added Date Oil to this Vetiver Inspired Scent to, again, up the anty for skin nourishing and protection. the date oil firms and hydrates the skin, and as a added benefit makes the soap super slick if used with water correctly, both while lathering and rinsing post pass. Again Aftershave is optional however why? With an EdP to match the user is enveloped in a light but peppery, woody aromatic with hints of clove a woody creamy dry down, but with a bushel full of citrus, and of course a base note of the namesake Vetiver. A wonderful experience for the SV Lover.
The Fragrance note are" The entire kitchen sink" as this truly is a symphony made up of it's parts. Desert Vetiver uses more scent notes than any previous version.... and that is a good thing.

The Shave:
@dangerousdon is the next on the ASD2 pass-around and during our Sunday Zoom Call wondered what the razor would be like with a Voskhod. This was a revelation as I do believe the gap and exposure were better giving a better shave than the feather blades. I have maintained that they are over-hyped to begin with, and the Voskhod made it like a "Tech++" 3 passes DSBBS and sad to see the ASD2 leave, but I will have one in the stable. Finished with the AS, Talc and the EdP. I will have a summation in the review section for those that are looking to get some SV scents and want a side by side comparison. I hope you enjoyed this Tour as much as I did. Thanks for coming along.

Set-up:

WskR9s6h.jpg

Video:

Fragrance Notes:

Desert Vetiver.jpg

Have a Good Day!

Date: 06.25.2020 Straight Razor Shave #1753 (Holding) DE Shave Today
Gillette Red-Tip SuperSpeed / Astra SP (2)
Brush: Matt DeRuiter F1 / Whipped Dog SilverTip
Shave Soap: Ariana & Evans Kaizen
Aftershave: Ariana & Evans Kaizen
Talc: Mennen
EdP: Creed Neroli

"Kaizen VS The Titans"
One Journey ends, and another begins. This one a true Battle. Recently some shaver as well as A&E have made claims that this formula is among, if not the best Soap base out there. Well "Hold my Beer" that is a BOLD statement considering where the Artisan and Corporate soap making has become. Soo, in true fashion we will see if A&E Kaizen can compete with the Following Titans. This is more about Performance, however Fragrance takes a back seat this time, but will be important in the final Tally:

The Shave:

1st and foremost, this is a very nice soap, good face feel, and a fragrance SOS that began at 3 and during the shave it increased to a 5, and remained persistent througout. Glide,. Slickness, and cushion are all Elite and this will be a fun Battle. The Titans, that Kaizen will face are:

Saponificio Varesino
Stirling
MdC
CBL Soap
Ethos
Mystic Water
Ethos
PannaCrema Nuavia

3-passes today and a fantastic DSBBS. the aftershave is wonderful.

Set-up:

kde1WmKh.jpg
Video:

Have a Good Day

Great video Dave. I am curious to see what the final results are especially with you using a 4.3 version of SV. Right now I am leaning toward no on a Kaizen purchase, but that could change at the end. I wonder if the milkiness of the aftershave is from a high concentration of tea tree oil?

Back