The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaveapalooza

Date: 06.19.2020 Straight Razor Shave #1752 ( holding ) DE Shave Today
Otto Roth New LC/ Voskhod (1)
Brush: Saponificio Varesino Artisan 2.0 Tortoise / HMMW
Shave Soap: Saponifico Varesino Manna Di Sicilia
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino Manna Di Sicilia
Talc: Borotalco
EdP: Nil

Day-6 Tour of Saponificio Varesino
Manna Di Sicilia

Out continuing journey takes us from Sardina and Corsica to Sicily, and a specific park, where one of the ingredients of today's offering resides. An ash tree and the sap "Manna" that takes this 4.3 version to another level in skin nourishing properties as well as mixing with the notes of the fragrance to create a somewhat sweet, spicy Tobacco feeling to this soap and aftershave.

Almost a pipe vibe of a Spicy Virginia Flake. A nod to Penhaligon's sartorial, however not as sweet and honey forward. All of course with a base of true Italian Colonia. A subtle scent but on the aftershave side strong enough to wear as an EdT, and becoming a skin scent throughout the day, If you like pipe smoke, you will enjoy this, and of course the performance, with the right usage of water, is typical 4.3 beta and fantastic. A nice 3-pass shave with the New LC and DSBBS.

Set-up:

Q7lI9bHh.jpg

Video:

Fragrance Notes:

Manna di Sicilia.jpg

Thanks for reading, commenting. Have a good day​

I wasn't familiar with the Otto Roth NEW. I have a LC and a SC NEW by Gillette. They're both great shavers that reward attention and punish inattention! How similar is the Roth to the Gillette?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I wasn't familiar with the Otto Roth NEW. I have a LC and a SC NEW by Gillette. They're both great shavers that reward attention and punish inattention! How similar is the Roth to the Gillette?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Almost exact as I mentioned these were being made and Papa Gillette did not like that and bought them out LOL.

Date: 06.20.2020 Straight Razor Shave #1752 ( holding ) DE Shave Today
Feather ASD2 / Feather (1)
Brush: Doug Korn D7 / 2-band Silvertip
Shave Soap: Saponifico Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Talc: Borotalco

Day-7 Tour of Saponificio Varesino
Dolomiti

Today 7-days in we travel to the Northern Border and the Dolomites. A rugged mountain range that through glacial movement, had created a natural silt that is the star and namesake of this offering from SV. Loaded with Vitamins, A, E and Beta carotene it acts much in the same way as a mud mask does, in nourishing the skin, tightening, and healing and makes for a tremendous basis for a shave, even though this is only the 4.0 beta version. White, black or gray in color ( depending on silt ) it lathers quickly and provides a very nice lather that does feel a bit different than the others. A hint of menthol in this one gives you the feel of the mountains, in this cool spicy, peppery colonia. This does share similar notes to SV's most popular scents, but does remain a favorite to many.

3-pass shave with the feather. For a mild razor teamed with a feather blade it was fantastic. I had my doubts as I truly like a more aggressive razor, however this is a no-brainer as it finds it's own balance and zips around the face, As smooth feeling on the skin as the Vector. DSBBS for today, some talc, a few dots of the Dolomiti aftershave and off to start my last day in the old Barbershop, uniti the 1st of July when I open up at the new one.

Set-up:

06.20.2020.jpg

Video:

Fragrance Notes:

Dolomiti.jpg

Have a Great Saturday Folks

Date: 06.21.2020 Straight Razor Shave #1752 ( holding ) DE Shave Today
Feather ASD2 / Feather (2)
Brush: @Graydog Keyhole / 2 band synthetic
Shave Soap: Saponifico Varesino Opuntia
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Talc: Proraso Rosemary Mint

Day-8 Tour of Saponificio Varesino
Opuntia

Getting down to the wire, with the heavy 4.3 beta hitters....Well except for 70th, but it has magical powers over all man, so it is here as well. Today for Cactus Lovers everywhere OPUNTIA. No it does not smell like Cactus..... Or Tumbleweeds @Cvargo , but it does have "prickly pear" extract. For those that dont know, the prickly pear cactus is an amazing and versatile plant: These are some of many on the property.....

PP1.jpg PP2.jpg
as you can see there are variety in color, but the basic chemical properties are the same. The extract some from the paddles and is a very aloe like substance and every slick and is why it is used in the soap to make for a better shave and use the moisturizing and healing properties. The bulbs you see on top will become the Fruit, which is deep red, sweet and almost a mixture of Watermelon and strawberry and used also in jellies, jams, BBQ sauce ETC. Aside from the extract the paddles can be charred and boiled for Nopales which is similar to Broccoli, and in a pinch the needles and be scraped of and the paddle can provide Life saving hydration if you get caught out in the desert without water.

So.... to the shave. Super slick and easy to lather, I could have shaved after the 1st pass with the residual slickness, but where is the fun in that? A nice mixture of unique note does give way to the "SV Trademark" drydown but Sweet, Floral, Spicy and Woody all in one. the Feather ASD2 is gaining more favor as well, not to mention the feel and the Look of the @Graydog brush made this for a fantastic 3-pass DSBBS shave. Finished off by Proraso Talc in a large container.. @NurseDave you need to watch that part, LOL.. Full review in Video as well as Fragrance notes below:

Set-up:

2nXQYdhh.jpg

Video:

Fragrance Notes:

Opuntia.jpg

Thanks for reading, watching, commenting
Have a Nice Father's Day

Date: 06.22.2020 Straight Razor Shave #1752 ( holding ) DE Shave Today
Feather ASD2 / Feather (3)
Brush: Shavemac Colonia No1 / Shavemac 2-band Silvertip
Shave Soap: Saponifico Varesino 70th Anniversary
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Talc: BoroTalco

Day-9 Tour of Saponificio Varesino
70th Anniversary Edition

Welcome to Day -9 even though I think I say Day-8 in the video, LOL Not much to be stated here that has not already been said about 70th. Great shave and the ASD2 is a wonderful. Video Below

Set-up:

06.22.2020.jpg

Video:

Fragrance Notes:

70th.jpg

Thanks for watching, commenting, and likeing
Have a great day

ohh Waking Zombie, Nothing our New Lather Water wont fix right up
Lather water? Is that the next big things after the downstream sheep farm spring water scotch mixer?

BTW you do know that a DE razor has two edges and you can flip it around and shave with the other side before you need to rinse the head?

Back