The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaveapalooza

07.07.2024.jpg
nice and easy shave today and the 1st video for the channel since landing on the literal core of the sun! Heat warnings in effect for temps of 111-117 in the valley and a very nice and balmy 105 at the ranch. Thankfully living right up against a 10K mountain range does give us a bit of a morning reprieve from the Yellow disc of death for at least a few hours, LOL

Today's shave was all about the Mediterranean and all the summer smells from that region, with a bit of Mountain goodness thrown in. The Vector had the call up today and performed as expected. A few splashes of Speick, some talc and some Vasilli's of MM and good to go.

On the Homefront:

Cleaned the "Doghouse RV" from the recent trip and went and "GULP" filled her up with Fuel, replenished supplies, did a bit of preventative maintenance, and She is ready for the next adventure. Having a Zoom This afternoon and hiding in a dark cool place of the house to stay cool

Video Posted.

Have a Nice Sunday

07.08- hobo
07.09-hobo
IMG_7189.jpeg
Crazy busy 8th and 9th and frankly lazy. But made up for it with today’s shave. Needed the big 8/8 to mow down about 3-days of growth and left with a nice DSBBS shave

Floris Elite is such a good choice for the sweltering heat of 72 degrees in the Barbershop LOL. I do however have to walk to my car in 111 degree heat so there is that

Have a good day folks

313B1489-4B08-45C9-B36D-3EB00CCBDFFA.jpeg
A wonderful shave with the Tradere, and a shave set that is equally happy in the fall and winter months as it is in the summer.

It is one of those tubs of soap that you will never, ever go through completely, a very nice hard soap, easy to lather and a wonderful subtle fragrance.

I don’t use aftershave balms very often, especially in the hot summer months, however, PDP 63 very very quickly so it’s not too bad

Finished off with the ED and off to the shop

Hope everyone has a wonderful wonderful Thursday

ED973C5B-78DE-4006-A2A8-74E5A731F311.jpeg
An Aventus themed shave today and oh so nice. With “Apollo’s “ homage as well as Ethos homage as well.

The Vector performed as expected as did the blackbird brush. Finished off with talc of course and the “real thing” with Creed.

A few Vasilli’s and off to the shop

We finally received the much awaited Monsoon, however it came with a vengeance. A few lightning based wildfire start ups including one close to the shop, in the adjacent mountains near willow springs ranch, which is under evac.

It jumped to over 1750 acres in less than 12-hours, of which 1000 happened in less than 3 hours. Tons of assets including the big air tankers have been ordered. So we shall see

Have a great day folks

View attachment 133732
An Aventus themed shave today and oh so nice. With “Apollo’s “ homage as well as Ethos homage as well.

The Vector performed as expected as did the blackbird brush. Finished off with talc of course and the “real thing” with Creed.

A few Vasilli’s and off to the shop

We finally received the much awaited Monsoon, however it came with a vengeance. A few lightning based wildfire start ups including one close to the shop, in the adjacent mountains near willow springs ranch, which is under evac.

It jumped to over 1750 acres in less than 12-hours, of which 1000 happened in less than 3 hours. Tons of assets including the big air tankers have been ordered. So we shall see

Have a great day folks
Update. The fire is now over 10,000 acres. Thankfully, the winds are moving in the other direction, which is mostly open land

Something a bit different today with a nod to @MarkB

the shave is all about PINK...

07.14.2024.JPEG

A wonderful shave today, all themed and Matchy matchy. A very unique scent that represents the psychedelic band the soap represents. Funky with a hint of cannabis. Very nice. The Gold dollar still provides a great shave for such an inexpensive straight razor. @GearNoir 's journal reminded me that I am zeroing in on 6000 straight razor shaves or thereabouts. A long bu fun journey.

Finished off with a nice splash of Pink everything.

(video posted,,,with music from the iconic band)

You know what.....

I think I will "Have a Cigar"

07.15. 2024
“Hoboville”. Too early of a day off and running around, Kona to the vet, barber errand day etc etc

D92B1D87-822C-4396-A1F1-166785A66BA9.jpeg
A more relaxed day off today. Still some errands to run but later in the day. Decided on a quick and menthol citrus shave today and nothing beats the Italian GOAT for a quick, nice efficient shave like Proraso.

A dollop on the brush, face lather and boom! The essence “The Wraith” did quick work on a 3-pass shave. Finished off with Proraso green, some talc and Proraso Azur Lime for the cologne

A good start to the day.

At the Ranch:
It has been crazy weather wise. A 35,000 acre wildfire close by (finally contained), and the monsoon back with a vengeance. We had 2 F1-F2 tornados, in one day, not to mention one earlier this month. For you mid-westerners this may be “old hat”. For us, not so much. Throw a few micro-bursts in there and damage all over the place. It was like driving through a war zone down in Tucson. Most of the trees here have fairly shallow roots , as water is a commodity for them. So, trees down everywhere. We had golf ball size hail here, a ton of wind, and rain. Typical monsoon storm for us, although one of the tornados was only a few miles from us, but thankfully retreated back up into the clouds before doing too much damage.

Believe it or not, we in AZ average 4-11 tornados a year, however there is so much open land we rarely see them or do they do damage. They are mostly F1-F3 in size. These ones were all F1-F2 and we have not had any hit Tucson Proper since 1972. Interesting weather

Anyway hope you all have a nice Tuesday

The Return Of The Conundrum!!!

In this occasional, not too often series......this would be another one. (don't ask me to explain my madness.......just giggle at my silliness)

As few of you know....because why would you?....Bougie aka @NurseDave and I are both going on Cruises starting next week.....not together...he's on the more Bougie boat than I am ....but we're both going to be in the Caribbean at the same time.

speedo1.jpg
(this photo may or may not represent a possible meeting between us)

Rum....Pirates....Rum.....palm trees.....coconuts......salty air.....rum......reggae music.....did I mention rum?

1730-3e294358f12.jpg 800px-Disney_Fantasy_Cruise_Ship_(6)_(21000557309).jpg

So while you land-lubbers are getting cooked to a crisp by the orange heat ball in the sky....Bougie and I will be....also cooking ...because the sun shines the same everywhere (its science)......but we'll just be in a more tropical location....

Can @BarberDave create a shave that honors his bestest buddies? (the word "bestest" being used here very liberally and with no claim of exclusivity or hierarchy...your mileage may vary)

Can he bring together all of the scents of the Caribbean islands and vibes?

Can he use a razor that cut the mizenmast from Blackbeard's famed ship....The Queen Anne's Revenge?

Can he shave with a pineapple? How about a mango?

Can he dress like a pirate during the shave? How about talk like a pirate during the entire video?

Can he get through the entire shave without plundering some booty?

Tune in to Sailor Dave's youtube channel this sunday to find out........or ya goes down with the tide!!

Back