The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaveapalooza

05 September 2022 - Journal Supplemental

A little bit different post today.

Irony is a funny thing. Just watched @NurseDave 's video today, and then received a phone call that one of my long term clients passed away today. RON JUNKIN, a retired professional referee, came in for a Full Service haircut and shave every week. He noted at the end for his wife to tell his wife how much he enjoyed our appointments together. He cam in every two weeks for the "Full Monty". Hair Cut, International Shave, Facial, and style. It was his 1.5 hours of self indulgence every week. He his wife in over 70+ years of going to a barber, that I was his best, and one who continued the "Old Ways" of Barbering and Tradition. That may not mean much to come of you in the days of Self Haircuts, and $8.00 Super cuts, but to me it means the world.

It means, the seriousness and dedication I put in means something to that tradition. RON was a retired professional referee. I had also put him in contact with "my second son" @CVargo as I really want to see him become and attain his dreams of being a professional ref as well. Anyway, they spoke, and I hope that RON imparted some advice to Chad, to continue the legacy as well.

Ron will be joining the Dolphins, another true love, down at a sanctuary in Cabo, to spend eternity playing with dolphins.

I am also fully aware that, based on where my shop is domiciled, that this is a hazard I face everyday, but as a barber, you enter peoples lives, become a part of them, and the loss is not easy. Based on my previous careers, in the Air Force, and Insurance, I have set myself up for constant loss, not to mention what @AvocadoQueen and I have been through these past few years. It takes faith, and the unknowing confidence that all of this happens for a reason, and is the main reason I do not fall down the path of cynicism, or at least limit is

I know to some, if not most of you I come across and the "Hardass" Sheriff of TSC town, but understand it is a business, and I have to herd the cats, as it were and assist you guys in steering the ship. However you all need to know in my mind, and @AvocadoQueen 's , as well as @CBLindsay and @CVargo that you are all FAMILY and BRETHREN!

As of late, as @NurseDave mentioned we are having some members going through a rough patch. This just reiterates the core value of this Forum, to be kind. All of us are going through struggles, so what we have created here, is that much more important. We care about each other and have created something unlike anywhere else. We are unique in forums, and I thank you for that.

My prayers go out the following, and please note we ARE here for all of you in any time of need.
@Scuttlesoap
@Majorrich

So.... In case I have not said it THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!

Thanks for stopping by.

Dave
My shave in Tribute:

Gillette President / Personna Super (1)
Rubberset 400-4 / TGN Finest
Williams Mug Barber Bar Shave Soap
Alum
Quinns Cucumber Mint
Aqua Velva Sport Aftershave
Brut Special Reserve Cologne
Clubman Talc

09.05.2022.JPEG

Tribute Shave today

(Video posted)

Happy Labor Day All

Going back to your Family and Brethren comment, the proof is in the fact that when we all met up in Vegas, it was exactly like meeting up with old friends and not awkward or weird (well...until Rich started sniffing waitresses). But this site is not just about shaving and other gentlemanly pursuits...its about the incredible friendships we make while enjoying those things. The zoom calls prove that this is much more than a website....its a hangout for a great bunch of people. Oh, and @BarberDave you're not a hardass....you're a trusted friend and brother. Thanks for making this wonderful place so wonderful.

Sorry to hear about your client Dave, I know how hard those kind of losses can be. It's cool that you were able to bring him so much joy, I am sure that is a powerful feeling. I have lost a few clients in the last year, although it is to be expected I was still pretty shocked and it does hurt a bit.

A very heartfelt tribute Dave. I am sorry for your loss of a friend. I am sorry for the loss of Chad's friend as well. They are never easy but legacies live on in the wonderful memories we have of our departed. And yes...we all have our rough patches, and as much ribbing as we do here on TSC...I never feel like anyone here is meanspirited. But your notion to "be kind" cannot be reiterated enough. You never know what another person is going through.

I love you guys...and I love this space.

A very heartfelt tribute Dave. I am sorry for your loss of a friend. I am sorry for the loss of Chad's friend as well. They are never easy but legacies live on in the wonderful memories we have of our departed. And yes...we all have our rough patches, and as much ribbing as we do here on TSC...I never feel like anyone here is meanspirited. But your notion to "be kind" cannot be reiterated enough. You never know what another person is going through.

I love you guys...and I love this space.
He's dangerous....but a lovable lug of a guy. Right back attcha.

09.06.2022 SR Shave in the 3000's somewhere

Boker 5/8 Full Hollow BN
Semogue 620
Victory Shave Co Champaign Lady Shave Soap
Alum
Quinns PGOR
Dr. Harris Arlington Aftershave
Penhaligon's Bayolea EdT
Talc

09.06.2022.JPEG

Good smooth shave today, we are back in the triple digits for a few days, so a light shave was on tap and the characters in today's shave play were all that. Lemons, Lavender, and almost a lemonade type vibe for today and the Boker did a fantastic job. Back to the shop tomorrow and it looks as if I am booked solid, including some after hours days. With my 1st open appointment being the 23rd of December, right before Holiday break. So a busy few months ahead.

KONA FILES: Same same, however he has discovered part of the Ranch I have not gotten to yet, and pounces and hops into the weeds and then lays in ambush, as he channels his inner wolf and leopard. Only problem he wags his tail, thus swishing the weeds which allows for a reverse ambush and chase and wrestling match. He will learn

Thanks for stopping by

Blackland Tradere / Personna super
SV ivory / HMMW
SV Felce Aromatica Shave Soap / Aftershave
Alum
Quinn’s Cucumber Mint
Penhaligon’s English Fern Talc
Penhaligon’s English Fern EdT

A9F2AE5B-599D-4306-AA8C-252F84ABA01E.jpeg
Fougere, fougere, and more Fougere. A nice shave today as the media freaks out over the Hurricane and rain that never came…. Again LOL

3-passes with the Tradere, and am liking the Personna DE blades more and more. EF and Felce are a match made in green
Have a nice day folks

Gillette #15
Morris & Forndran
Lochranza soap/balm/EdT
Alum
Quinns
Talc
E1E5C7F8-2B0A-4DDD-A25E-E3353966D6E1.jpeg
Good, quick, and wonderful shave on this, my Friday! This product line keeps impressing me, from presentation through performance. Similar to PdP the soap never seems to lose any. The logo on the soap is still there after almost 6-months of use. The Crat performed as expected as did all the other United Kingdom 🇬🇧 items. Without realizing it a tribute to the memory of Queen Elizabeth , as well as the new King Charles III.

KONA Files:
We had a tremendous rain and flood event last night, so this morning “El Doggo” needed to investigate all the wet puddles, grass, and any critters he could bound through what’s left of the weeds in the back of the property. He is working on his Reindeer hop, take off and prance. I must admit he has better form that most of Santa’s crew, especially @Rudolph, who is a 3-legged hack anyway

Have a great Saturday

Back