The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaveapalooza

Essence Razor /Feather Pro-guard
Sorrentino Brushworks Pillars of Creation / Synth
Ethos Greenfresh shave soap / AS
Proraso Alum / Thayers Cucumber / Penhaligon's English Fern Talc
Floris 1962 EdP

12.28.2021.JPG

WOW, WOW, WOW!
1st impressions are very favorable on the Essence, blade feel is next to none but a wonderful 1st shave DSBBS (G) (10). Some knocks in comparison to Feather, but overall great 1st run. More detail in the video uploaded.

Will shave with it a number of more times before a shave off with the Feather DX. All other "Characters" in today's shave were spot on, and the finish of the 1962 by Floris just made the day.

Finally we have a little break in the rain..... About 6 hours, but it was sunny and cold for the Kona Files. At about 0600 he wanted to go out, but as the sliding glass door opened and he was hit by 31 degree air, he had second thoughts ( Dude!, You are a Husky!) Anyway a nice slinky maneuver and U-Turn, he snuck his way back in and rant to the bedroom and plopped in the my former location, bit the blanket to cover himself, sighed and closed his eyes. About an hour later with the sun up he then decided to go to work today, and now he is on his union break on the patio couch. Ahhh, the life of da Pooch

UGH, Doctors appointments for both me and the boss today, all day. Getting old Sucks!

Thanks for stopping by

Essence - Tedalus / Feather Pro-Guard
SV Artisan 2.0 Ivory / HMMW
SV Tundra Artica Shave Soap / Aftershave
Proraso Alum / Thayers Lavender
Penhaligon's Endymion Concentre EdP

12.29.2021.JPEG

Run #2 with the Essence. Again another wonderful shave. Lightened up on the pressure, and adjusted the angle a bit, and was rewarded with a betters DSBBS than yesterday. Still evaluating it against the DX and so far, aside from a few things, it is leading the race. The one standout is the smoothness overall in the shave. Did not hurt that Tundra Artica was along for the ride and provided the ski slope for the Tedalus. Cold and rainy today, so the Concentre got the call up.

KONA FILES: Again cold and rainy, but today Kona "bucked up" and went from "Cat" to Husky and braved the cold......... However, Now he just stood out in the rain and decided to come in and be pampered with not one but three towels to get dry, and then plopped in front of the fire.

Thanks for stopping by

Tedalus / Feather Pro-guard
Sorrentino Luca Brasi / Badger
Tabac Shave Soap / Aftershave / Cologne
Proraso Alum / Proraso Talc / Thayers Lavender

12.31.2021.jpg

Day 4 with the Essence and it keeps getting better.... Of course adding Tabac to the mix just makes it even better, good soap, wonderful fragrance and ready for 2022. Tomorrow will be the Feather DX vs Tedalus Essence for the top spot in removable blade straight razors. Should be fun.

Kona took another day off for the holiday until later in the day. We added a mint denta bone to his treats today and I think he believes we are giving him some Alien artifact. Those who say dogs cannot see color are full of horse hockey. That and the minty taste, he stared, barked, threw it in the air, growled, rolled on it, and finally decided to consumed, as the cats began to investigate, he determined better his, than theirs.

Happy New Year Cadre, and thanks for stopping by

Happy New Year!

Tedalus Essence / Pro-guard
Feather DX Kami / Pro-guard
Shavemac Colonia no 1 / 3 band Silvertip
Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap
Proraso Alum
Thayers Lemon
Nivea 2 in 1 Aftershave
Boss Dark Blue EdT

1.1.2022.jpg

Well, the shave off day arrived and a very good comparison, both gave GREAT DSBBS shaves and although I have to give the nod to the Feather for blade angle, ease of said angle, and use, the Essence was the winner overall for shave quality, ergonomics, and looks. It was very close, and either one of these is a winner. One item that also sets the Essence apart is (although I will probably never use) the ability to use multiple styles of blades, rather than the feather system. The Feather, both in Kami and folding form, are a but less expensive, however I never factor price in reviews, as it really comes down to what the user likes regardless of price. What may be lead to some is gold to others, and if it makes them happy, then good. I am extremely happy I purchased the Tedalus, and was well worth it to me.
(Video of shootout posted )

Kona Files:
Very cold today in the 40's and it has been discovered that he does not like cold surfaces, or wet surfaces, as was illustrated when he jumped from the deck to the patio this morning to avoid the cold and wet wood.........In trade for cold and wet concrete? As stated before our pooch is broken. It should also be noted that apparently cold wet dirt does not bother him as he was seen doing is Reindeer takeoff practice and "spinnies" in the rain.. I have given up trying to figure this out, and just enjoy the antics.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you all have a Nice New Year's Day

... Very cold today in the 40's...
giphy.gif

Back