The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaveapalooza

Date: 09.16.2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1783 and holding SE shave today
Razor: Blackland Vector / Feather Pro-Guard
Brush: Doug Korn D-7 Rootbeer / TGN Finest
Shave Soap: CBL Chocolate Chip
Aftershave: Reuzel Aftershave Splash
Talc: Proraso
Fragrance: Gallagher Wicked Good EdP

This is a set-up I have had for over a year and never used, as I was either going to purchase "Chocolate Greedy" by Mondial or get lucky and find a Chocolate fragrance that would go well with this soap. Still a bit warm here in the SW to do this shave, however @NurseDave was kind enough to PIF me a bunch of Frags from Gallagher Fragrances and "Wicked Good fit the bill.

As to the Soap, WOW what an experience that brought back a ton of childhood memories as well as my love of Chocolate Chip Cookies! What is odd is it is the FULL experience from Start to finish in the baking process. How the Sorcery of @CBLSoap.com and @CBLindsay made this happen, I am not sure I want to know, but it happened. The soap stays a chocolate color while lathering, but is more like Cookie dough color and smells just as delicious. As the shave progresses through 3-passes and cleanup the scent morphs into the warm "out of of oven" ooey gooey part and then finally gives you, my favorite, that crisp almost burnt edge smell of those Pillbury Chocolate Chip Cookies in the chub. Very outstanding. The vector came along for the bake-off and gave a nice DSBBS shave.

Following a chocolate Chip soap is no easy task for either an AS, not to mention a frag, but the spices of the Ruezel worked great and the Wicked Good was exactly it's namesake, and had had incredible longevity lasting long into the evening and even my barber smock smelled of it the following day. The only thing Chris missed was the Ice cold glass of milk. Not an everyday type of shave, but winter for sure, and whenever you want a hankering for chocolate chip cookies without the carbs or sugar, LOL

94weue6.jpg

Date: 09.17.2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1783 and holding DE shave today
Razor: Blackland Tradere / Nacet (1)
Brush: Sorrentino Brushworks Barzini / Tuxedo Synth
Shave Soap: Beta BTS
Aftershave: Beta BTS Serum
Fragrance: Hombres Barbershop AS/EdT

Good Shave today with a New Nacet blade. Where have these been? Been wanting to try them for years and @CVargo was nice enough to send me a tuck. Very smooth and worked well in the tradere. This was another test of a Beta Soap and it was wonderful. 3 passes DSBBS (G) and the post shave was tremendous as well.

9g9v1B5.jpg

Date: 09.18.2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1783 and holding DE shave today
Razor: Feather ASD2 / Personna Super
Brush: TSC 2nd Anniversary / AMACK Blue Synth
Shave Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Nivea 2 in 1
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Savoy Steam EdC

Good Shave today before work. All worked well together and the ASD2 with the personna was also as nice as the Voskhods, but actually a but smoother, All other accoutrements were perfection in a shave.

bPfzwdx.jpg

Great shaves as always Dave and even Better Pics! When are you going to do an Hombres Shave Calendar and sell them at the shop?

Date: 09.19.2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1784
Razor: TSC Feather SS / Feather Pro guard
Brush: Paladin PK 47
Shave Soap: Palmolive shave stick
Aftershave: Brut
Fragrance: Brut Special Reserve

Nice Shave today with the Palmolive. The SS was a little frisky today, not to mention it leads one with the ease of this razor to drop the guard. So a couple of light kisses today. All in all an ok shave

Set up:
9138BA5C-5882-442E-90D5-8ADA00F8A3B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Date: 09.20.2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1785
Razor: George Wostenholm & Sons IXL Celebrated 5/8 Wedge
Brush: Thater 4292 / 2-bans Silvertip
Shave Soap: Floris No 89
Aftershave: Floris No 89
Alum: Proraso block
Fragrance: N/A

Had been wanting to try Floris as a manufacturer for quite some time, as it was the last of the Jermyn St. joints that I needed to add to my den. Boy was I missing out. Floris like the other "Big" names of this Westminster fashion area, is a winner and why not try the wares with probably the most talked about No. 89. Known as the "Bond" fragrance, this is actually very clever marketing, more detail in the video, but since it was loved by the Bond creator Ian Flemming, it could be argued that the "real" James Bond did indeed use it and even have a drink, the "Fleming 89", a take on a Martini, was created and indeed mentioned in a Bond movie.
No. 89, a WoodyCitrus. has the following Scent Profile:

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes
and it does keep the nutmeg forward throughout and later on after all the frags meld it settles into a nice subtle nutmeg, Cedar, Musky, with just a hint of the Lavender and Neroli hanging around. for a British Hard soap it lathers exceptionally well using the "dry puck, wet tips" method adding water ever so slowly. I can see this being an easy soap to break if not careful, however the cushion, glide and slickness were perfect for a straight razor, not to mention it got thinner and wetter in passes 2-3 + cleanup which is perfect for a SR shave.

3-passes and DSBBS Grail (10) today. Finished off with more Aftershave as the Frag, however will be getting the Edt Shortly for sure. Wonderful way to start a Sunday.

Set-up:

mpELMRT.jpg

Video:

Thanks for reading and commenting

Great Shave Dave! I have never used a Floris product...I mean I have tried all the other British soaps...not sure why. Anyway...great run down!

Dave: I read that Floris recently changed the ingredients in their soap. Do you know if the Floris 89 you used is made with Potassium Palmate or Sodium Palmate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave: I read that Floris recently changed the ingredients in their soap. Do you know if the Floris 89 you used is made with Potassium Palmate or Sodium Palmate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sodium and shea butter are the only changes I saw, but to me as long as it performs and this one does

Date: 09.20.2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1786
Razor: SV /Koraat Leonardo da Vinci 6/8 FBH
Brush: SV/TSC Artisan 2.0 LE / HMMW
Shave Soap: SV Stella Alpina
Aftershave: SV Stella Alpina
Fragrance: Cremo Blue Cedar & Cypress EdT

A very nice SV shave today with the Koraat. Stella Alpina is one of the lesser known of the SV line up, but still as good as the rest. Jokingly @CVargo and I banter as he thinks it smells like Tumbleweeds (Russian Thistle) but we all know his nose is broken. After all he drinks White Claw, LOL.. Anyway 3-passes and DSBBS the the Cremo EdT is a good match

Set-up:

H0dqIEh.jpg

Video Vlog:

Date: 09.23.2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1787
Razor: Cactus 5/8
Brush: @Graydog "Tucson" / Maggards SHD
Shave Soap: CBL Hombres Barbershop
Aftershave: CBL Hombres Barbershop
Fragrance: Duke Cannon Randolph EdP

OvgqMsF.jpg

Date: 09.24.2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1787 Holding. SE Shave today