The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaveapalooza

Date: 08.11.2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1770 Today
Razor: CV Heljestrand MK*32
Brush: TSC 2nd Annv. / AP Shave Blue Synth
Shave Soap: Sē'bŭm Aqua
Aftershave: Sē'bŭm Aqua Post Shave Serum
Talc: Proraso Rosemary & Mint
Fragrance: Bleu De Chanel EdP

Another day with the Aqua. Will finish out the week and then the final review, but so far it is pretty clear where this will end up. Initial loading is the only variable and I need to amend the fact that it is actually a bit softer that most, in the realm of CBL...Maybe just a tad softer. Although I do not do often we will try a bowl lather manana. Shave was as expected with the slickest Straight Razor shave to-date in the 6 or so years I have been shaving with an SR Razor. Numbers if I would have shaved with nothing else and everyday would be at 1770 Shave, just over 4.8 years. In all that time only one razor ( aside from the shavette incident of the early years ) that has given me the best, and injured me the most, and today she was very nice and literally slid around efforlessly.

3 passes DSBBS and all that goes with it. The Serum was on point as was the BdC. Video journal as well.

Set-up:

DrNgw2J.jpg

Video:

Super intrigued by this soap, but just unwilling to drop the cash on it with the current situation. I did check out their website and they only have the Sebum Purple serum outside of their bespoke line. Interesting concept moving forward for those who have the expendable liquidity for it. Like you said, each to their own. I've dropped significant sums of money on pool cues, (+$2K), that most people would consider a waste of money but was worth it in my eyes. Same with shaving gear, golf clubs, playing cards (for poker...a pack of GEM's will run you around $30 last I looked)...the list is pretty endless. Bottom line is, while there is a minimum you will spend to get something, there is no maximum, so you can spend as much as you want. It's all what it's worth to the buyer.

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks for the shout out during the brush assignment video.
And also to give you a big old thumbs down 👎. For posting up the Victory Soap you are getting. The flakbait and navigator scents sound good. 1597630157250.jpeg
What are you trying to do me boy.
I got way too much soap already boy.

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks for the shout out during the brush assignment video.
And also to give you a big old thumbs down 👎. For posting up the Victory Soap you are getting. The flakbait and navigator scents sound good. View attachment 32808
What are you trying to do me boy.
I got way too much soap already boy.
for you Fluffy Videos are up too.... muahahahahaha

Super intrigued by this soap, but just unwilling to drop the cash on it with the current situation. I did check out their website and they only have the Sebum Purple serum outside of their bespoke line. Interesting concept moving forward for those who have the expendable liquidity for it. Like you said, each to their own. I've dropped significant sums of money on pool cues, (+$2K), that most people would consider a waste of money but was worth it in my eyes. Same with shaving gear, golf clubs, playing cards (for poker...a pack of GEM's will run you around $30 last I looked)...the list is pretty endless. Bottom line is, while there is a minimum you will spend to get something, there is no maximum, so you can spend as much as you want. It's all what it's worth to the buyer.
I will have to send you a pick of my McDermott, Meucci, and Schon sometime, LOL been down that rabbit hole as well LOL it is worse that custom soaps or razors, HEHE

Date: 08.13.2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1772 Two Repeats
Razor: CV Heljestrand MK*32
Brush: TSC 2nd Annv. / AP Shave Blue Synth
Fragrance: Bleu De Chanel EdP

DrNgw2Jm.jpg

Repeated shave all Good

Date: 08.14..2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1772 Holding
Razor: 1924 EverReady Shovelhead / Gem (4)
Brush: CBL Butterscitch / AP Shave Black Synth
Fragrance: Tommy Bahama St Barts EdT
dfAKnYwm.jpg

Another Great shave with the Sebum Aqua DSBBS
Date: 08.15.2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1773
Razor: Gillette #15
Brush: TSC / SV Limted Edition. / HMMW
Shave Soap: SV Desert Vetiver
Aftershave: SV Desert Vetiver
Fragrance: None
FTfvg24m.jpg

All SV all Good
Date: 08.16 2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1774
Razor: Genco Easy Aces 5/8
Brush: Semogue 620 / 2-band boar
Shave Soap: Victory Shaving Company Flak Bait
Aftershave: Pitralon
Talc: Mennen
Fragrance: Duke Cannon Randolph
kAYxZEbm.jpg

Good shave with some great new stuff
Video:

Date: 08.172020 / Straight Razor Shave #1775
Razor: Genco Easy Aces 5/8
Shave Soap: Victory Shaving Company Red Tail
Aftershave: T&H 1805
Talc: Mennen
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Elixir
4faUOj2m.jpg

Good Stuff:
Video:

I'm really looking forward to the Victory soaps. I've never used an olive oil soap before. I've read they can be finicky, but you're having no problems, so I'm feeling good about my prospects.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Date: 08.18.2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1776
Razor: Traditional Japanese Grind Kamisori /on loan from @uacowboy
Shave Soap: Victory Shaving Company Angels 12
Aftershave: #1 Nivea 2 in 1 / #2 Brut Classic Aftershave Splash
Talc: Proraso Rosemary/Mint
Fragrance: Brut Special Reserve Cologne

Finally all caught up, now just wating on padded mailers for the SV brushes to be able to get them shipped and out, so I can move onto the much overdue TSC Radio Show. Again I cannot wait to go back to the shop so I can relax a bit. Today's shave had a couple of new items, 1. The Angels-12 Soap and 2. the Kami on loan from Kyle. Being a traditional Japanese Kamisorit has an Asymmetrical Grind and was actually made to have someone else shave you. Being a cross-handed shaver this made for some interesting "Angles of Attack" depending on what hand I used. As with one, the blade would favor in the direction of my face, and the other away from my face. So it was all about the angles. If I got the angle wrong, or lost my spacial awareness I could filet myself like a nice piece of salmon. Also it is so small and light, which added to the variables, it was interesting to find the right type of grip, but once found it did "lock in:" With a cutting area the size of a DE. Just take a DE blade, tape it to your toothrush, bend one end just for fun, and then shave. Ya you get it!

All in all a good three passes one small filet on my lip during the very last moments of clean up ( go figure ) but overall DSBBS. Angels 12 is IMHO best used in fall or winter, however the Mocha, Tobacco, and mint make almost for a "holiday type fragrance" or that of a cinnamon Mocha Latte. Very nice. Hard to pair, but Chocolate Greedy would be nice, or surprisingly as I found out today a nice "old style" fougere like Brut.

All of VCS's soaps are recommended. for a Olive Oil based soap you should have no problem lathering. They will take on a ton of water without breaking, as well as, some of the most unique fragrance blending. Not to mention the "Cool" factor of being WWII and aviation themed giving homage to "The Greatest Generation" Well Done @Victory~Dale

Set-up:

CdJ5hFN.jpg

Video:

Back