The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Balancing on the Razor's Edge of (In)Sanity

Praise the Lord. As you can see from my detailed memory, it left a HUGE impact on me. And I truly should not have said anything about it today, but this kind of stuff is ugly to me. Sorry. Us Michiganders tend to think racism don't start on I-75 North until you hit somewhere in Kentucky.
I whole heartedly agree. I grew up in Dearborn heights.... 5 min from Detroit border... Dearborn obviously wasn’t far away....my school was VERY multi racial and I get it. It’s TOUGH out there at times dealing with these things. Glad we all survived and appreciate all people 👍

I whole heartedly agree. I grew up in Dearborn heights.... 5 min from Detroit border... Dearborn obviously wasn’t far away....my school was VERY multi racial and I get it. It’s TOUGH out there at times dealing with these things. Glad we all survived and appreciate all people 👍
AMEN! My Dad was a Detroit boy. Old enough to see Babe Ruth visit the old Briggs stadium. Gordy Howe in his prime. Night Train Lane. Lol, back when teams were afraid to visit Detroit! It's a jewel down there now, mostly. I sure do wish Flint could get a minor league baseball or basketball team. So much potential there. Ole C.S. Mott would be spinning in his grave if he could see what it's become. But it's so much better than 5 years ago. This Covid hit at the worst possible time for Flint. We were just starting to climb out of a deep hole...

AMEN! My Dad was a Detroit boy. Old enough to see Babe Ruth visit the old Briggs stadium. Gordy Howe in his prime. Night Train Lane. Lol, back when teams were afraid to visit Detroit! It's a jewel down there now, mostly. I sure do wish Flint could get a minor league baseball or basketball team. So much potential there. Ole C.S. Mott would be spinning in his grave if he could see what it's become. But it's so much better than 5 years ago. This Covid hit at the worst possible time for Flint. We were just starting to climb out of a deep hole...
I hear ya! Went to college at Wayne State for 7 years, in mid town, and there is a lot of culture down there.... close to Comerica Park, Fox theater, DIA, Science Center, lots of food, etc.

You’ve a minor league hockey team though at least? 🤷‍♂️

Date: 8/26/20

Razor: ATT M1 w/ Atlas handle

Blade: Gillette Silver Bl

Brush: Simpson Commodore X3 best badger

Soap/Cream: Barrister and Mann Cologne Russe

Balm: Duke Cannon

Aftershave: B&M Cologne Russes

Comments: fantastic shave! B&M always delivers for me. The scent was a blind buy. It reminds me a little of English Leather in the opening then warms up quite a bit. It’s based on an old fragrance so makes sense that it smells a bit dated. I can’t say that I’ll buy that scent again, but good enough to finish through.

Other Thoughts: I’m thankful for everyone’s warm responses to my initial journal entry. Back at work today. Thursday’s always feel like Friday’s. Steady day. Then this afternoon, my wife wants me to hang some pictures up in the mud room/ laundry room. We moved it back in March and I have painted almost the entire home, Installed new master bath vanity, had an electric fence installed for our pup, and having all new windows, siding, trim, and gutters installed next week. Also having sprinklers installed. Whew! Did I mention this is our 3rd home in 6 years 🤦🏼‍♂️ I think my wife is finally settled in and content 🕺now I can settle down on house projects as well. Take care and have a great day Cadre.

Awesome read and try not to work too hard. I am currently remodeling too and it can be exhausting!

Awesome read and try not to work too hard. I am currently remodeling too and it can be exhausting!
Thanks - it has been tiresome at times, but I’ve learned over the years and things that used to be hard are now quite easy. I’ve basically earned my journeyman status as a painter and electrician 👍

Wow! That’s a lot of DIY! Is this current home “the one”? Or still searching?

MIL is slow progressing dementia which her mom and sister died from so it's needed. Family is family no matter how much they drive you nutz even before the health issues..............
I’m sorry to hear that Dave. My comment was meant as a little stereotypical joke about in-laws but now I am earnestly praying for you and your family.

Wow! That’s a lot of DIY! Is this current home “the one”? Or still searching?
Hopefully this is it for awhile. Early in marriage we were figuring a lot out and have grown a lot since. We are now on a pretty similar page regarding most things, including homestead 👍You know how it is 🤷‍♂️

386D5A2A-8331-4ED5-8497-5BCB752A3890.jpeg
Razor: ATT M1 w/ Atlas Handle

Blade: GSB

Brush : Simpson Classic 2 best badger

Soap: WSP Formula T Olympus

Aftershave: Stirling Executive Man w/ menthol.

Shave comments: Superb shave! WSP was my first real good soap years ago. I had been struggling to get good technique. In my frustration I upped my soap game. Well, it did help and did not light up my face like some of the melt and pour soaps I was using. I will always have at least 1 WSP Formula T and 1 Rustic soap in my collection.

Other thoughts: One of my bosses is here at work today. I’m fortunate enough to work a a remote site where I’m basically in charge of things. Well, there has been job performance issues with a co-worker. I get it, not everyone does the exact same job as one another. We all have our own strengths and weaknesses. Well, some weaknesses can cause harm in my field. Another coworker complained to my boss about this individual so she’s here to investigate. I will speak the truth, but man, I hate these conversations. I never like feeling like I throw someone under the bus. But this person has had a long time to improve. We shall see what comes of this. Have a great day Cadre.

Back