The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Balancing on the Razor's Edge of (In)Sanity

BadgerFiend

Sr. Shave Member
First Responder
Date: 8/25/20

Razor: Above the Tie M1 w/ Atlas Handle

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)

Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best Badger w/ Butterscotch Handle

Soap/Cream: Soap Commander Honor

Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Aftershave: Clubman Classic Vanilla

Talc: Clubman

Comments: Good shave overall! The wife and I have been looking for our next “go to” blade for our razors (She has a Merkur 34C, which I kindly loaned/now gave to her and an ATT long handle M1 Aluminum….I have a few more than her). Since I bought her the M1 last winter, the duller blades which she used to like, Derby, Shark, etc. no longer cut it, pun intended. I too find that I need a sharper blade in my mostly mild razor collection, although a duller blade is preferred in my Timeless Bronze SB. The GSB may just be the “magic bullet” blade for us.
The Soap Commander performed as expected; well, but not great. It leaves little residual slickness but I enjoy the scent (similar to Maggards London Barbershop, but that lit my face up like the 4th of July!). I can’t see myself buying anymore SC, but I appreciate their product and they seem like an honorable company. I may grab a balm in the future as I used one years ago and I liked it.
Since December of 2018, I have used a balm daily with my splash. My skin gets dry if I don’t otherwise. No biggie, they last a long time and are fairly cheap. I currently rotate 3. Clubman Classic Vanilla? “Nuff said. It has Classic in its name for a reason. Do yourself a favor and get some.
I rarely gets nicks or weepers the past few years as I have mastered the DE technique for myself. Usually if I try something new in the razor or soap department that I increase my odds of issues. No issues last night.

Other Thoughts: This will be my long intro since I am not really known. I am 34, just about 35. I currently live in Howell, MI, which is in SE MI but approaching mid MI (compared to where I grew up right outside Detroit). I am a night shaver so my entries will be about the previous night shave. I had the rare day off from work today, besides weekends and holidays (I am a Pharmacist in an outpatient oncology and infusion center). If you or a loved one ever had chemo or maybe iron infusions other appropriate out patient injections, then I am the guy that makes sure you get the right meds prepared correctly, with the appropriate lab parameters, etc. Ok, enough “shop talk.” I took today off to spend time with my 4 and 5 y/o boys. We are fortunate enough to home school our kids this year due to COVID-19. My wife is a part time Nurse Practitioner in orthopedics, so she is able to teach them 3-4 days / week which will fulfill the requirements by mid June 2021 for the school year. We started school yesterday but she gave them today off, even though I am home, since it was a “rough adjustment.”
I hope to be active on the journal as it will be good for me (May be a few times a week at best)…I’m a quirky guy that has a really hard time making friends. By the Grace of God I am married to my beautiful wife 7 years now and we have 2 great boys. So they encompass my social life. I haven’t kept in touch with anyone from high school or college and am estranged from my family. Not looking for sympathy, just letting you guys know her I’m coming from. I work with all women, which doesn’t help….but they never complain about my colognes :) My wife and I are currently looking for a new church, which has been a challenge during this time. Our current church is kind of old school, stuck in their ways, so after our 2nd stint there we still cannot get connected in fellowship. Bummer. We have been watching online services from another church that’s closer to us with a lot of families in our age range / similar family situations. So we are praying to make the leap there sooner than later. Will be kind of hard since I am the Mission treasurer and my wife is involved with women’s outreach at our current church…but not many of the women care to get involved outside of their cliques. Well I sound like a nut but that is who I am. So the take home message is, just looking for friends around here, I am an OK guy with 5 years of traditional shaving experience under my belt. I also like fragrances, Case pocket knives, Gibson and PRS guitars, hard rock/metal (most any genres except Rap, R&B, Hip Hop, no thanks), horror movies, video games, camping with my Ram 1500 Hemi and Grand Design travel trailer, etc….Take care and have a great day!

Welcome to the journals. That's quite an introduction.

Are there any blades in particular that you guys are looking at?

Great first entry and introduction! Nice to get to know you a bit more.

What games are you in to?

Welcome. We have lots in common friend. I'd invite you to my church but Flushing Michigan is quite a drive for you!

I'm a "health-forced-me-reluctantly-into-retirement-community-pysch-nurse" that was blessed to see my wife Homeskool our boy from kindergarten till he went to Kollege at 15.

Enjoy these days. THEY WILL FLY.

Welcome to the journals! There are a lot of great gentlemen here and on the Cadre broadly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Welcome to the journals. That's quite an introduction.

Are there any blades in particular that you guys are looking at?
I’ve been through a few dozen different brands/types. I always gave my wife duller blades, derby’s, sharks, Merkurs, etc. I have used permasharps the last few years. Mix in a few dull blades for the more aggressive razors. The GSB have been good so far for both of us. I had her try the Gillette 7’o clocks in the yellow packaging.... LOL she told me they were “tuggy” before I had a chance to tell her!
I’m not picky, I know blades on sharpness spectrum. Just trying to find one we both agree on.... my facial hair is like barn wire and her lady leg hair is soft like baby’s hair... good luck me!

Welcome. We have lots in common friend. I'd invite you to my church but Flushing Michigan is quite a drive for you!

I'm a "health-forced-me-reluctantly-into-retirement-community-pysch-nurse" that was blessed to see my wife Homeskool our boy from kindergarten till he went to Kollege at 15.

Enjoy these days. THEY WILL FLY.
Flushing, huh? Not that far North of Flint it appears. We are basically neighbors 👍

Back