The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Another Shaving Journal

I have 20+ soaps, a handful of which are tonsorials, so I have somewhere between 2-3 years worth of soap. Actually, I have 200-300 DE blades as well. Should thin those out some. I'll need AS in a few months, so the holiday sales will find me shopping.
What makes a soap "tonsorial"?

Am going to keep doing my heavy rotation of soaps that I don't plan on re-ordering. To make room for new soaps that really impressed me from the pass around. Eventually I will have nothing but upper to top tier soaps as far as performance. In scents that I really enjoy. Haven't had to build extra shelves or rent a storage space for my shave hobby yet
That's how I've done it. It's very liberating to reduce stock.
What makes a soap "tonsorial"?
A hard soap that lasts longer. Williams is a tonsorial. CBL tonsorials are a bit softer than many hard pucks, but they perform splendidly! Chris added skin food that softens up the pucks, but they last forever, IME.

Today's Blast of Blasphemy: I am not shaving today.

Last edited:
  • Shannon's Soaps Lavender Lemongrass (6)
  • TSC 2nd Anniversary synthetic
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (2)
  • Myrsol Agua de Limon splash
Digging this lemony smell. Great way to start the day. Some above the lip irritation requiring the styptic pencil. Darned good shave overall.

• Shannon's Soaps Lavender Lemongrass (7)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (3)
Nice Monday morning shave. BBS to start the week right.

Good Sunday Zoom call. Good stories, good company. It's not just for old guys like me - people of all ages are welcome. Check it out this Sunday. (y)

• Shannon's Soaps Lavender Lemongrass (8)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (3)
Good shave this morning. Spent some time in the dentist chair getting fitted for a permanent crown. It's all uphill from here. 😬

• Shannon's Soaps Lavender Lemongrass (9)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (4)
Good shave, good gear, good day!

• Shannon's Soaps Lavender Lemongrass (10)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (5)
Perfect shave this morning. I have sung the praises of Shannon's Soaps before, and I'll gladly do it again. If you like Elite soaps, this brand is for you. It healed some irritation on my upper lip region. Honestly, in just one day. There are three soaps that are elite for me: Shannon's, CBL, and LNHC. There are plenty of soaps out there; make room in your den for Shannon's.

• Shannon's Soaps Lavender Lemongrass (11)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (6)
Sunny and 67F as I sit on the patio with a small cigar. Good shave today, lemony smell all gone though. Just listening to the birds and other beasts of the woods. :)

• Shannon's Soaps Lavender Lemongrass (12)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (7)
After a couple of days of feeling stubble, it sure is nice to be clean shaven and lemony again. The Myrsol apparently has a little menthol in it, just enough for a cooling sensation. I don't know what got into me this weekend, I just lost track of time on both days, and didn't even think of shaving till late afternoon. Back on track now.

Back