The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Another Shaving Journal

Sounds like the place/dr's doing your surgery are well organized and have a strong plan in place to maximize the opportunities for a very successful outcome. Add me to the list of folks who have wished you well.
Thank you, Chris. It's the best cardiac program for miles around.
We are pulling for you, and still feel you should get CE points for your homework..
I renewed my license for 2 years last fall. I'm not renewing again, so I'm blowing off the CEU requirements.

The other night this thought occurred to me: "Oh my God, I'm going to be lying on the table with my chest open!" I had to laugh at myself, because of course I am. This was the first time I'd pictured myself that way. Mind you, in my first month in an OR in 1992, I held the heart of a man while the surgeon positioned my fingers, then sewed grafts between my fingers, hands shaking as the needle approached the heart (and my fingers!). I've never forgotten that, because he never jabbed me, but scared me silly. I was thinking I'd get hepatitis or HIV from a needlestick each time he approached, but the shaking stopped the instant the needle touched the graft. Much to my relief, he sewed beautifully. 🫤

Didn't feel like shaving today, so I didn't. It'll keep till tomorrow. Got some important stuff done today. Had to let my cousins know that I won't be coming to Michigan for the annual corn roast gathering. It's 3-4 days of great food, incredible fishing, boating, and general fun with family over the Fourth of July. With the passing of my aunt last year, our parents' generation is gone, making us the official grownups now. A good time is guaranteed for all.

Got some stuff done at home in prep for next week's adventure (6 and a wake up). So many little details to take care of to get ready. Next week I'll probably just quit prepping and relax a couple of days prior. In the meantime, it keeps me busy, but does nothing to take my mind off the surgery. 😒

Great idea! You should “make up” for the festivities you’ll be having to miss out on!
I'm trying to approach this from a clinical perspective and be well rested for next Thursday. It gives me the best shot of being extubated (off ventilator) the evening of surgery. The two big goals immediately postop are to get off the ventilator, and to get off IV meds maintaining blood pressure and heart rate (known collectively as "drips"). Once both milestones are reached, I'll be ready to transfer to stepdown. :)

I'm trying to approach this from a clinical perspective and be well rested for next Thursday. It gives me the best shot of being extubated (off ventilator) the evening of surgery. The two big goals immediately postop are to get off the ventilator, and to get off IV meds maintaining blood pressure and heart rate (known collectively as "drips"). Once both milestones are reached, I'll be ready to transfer to stepdown. :)
Well I don’t mean go out and get hammered. 😂

More just like have an enjoyable time, to help you get your mind off things for a bit, as you mentioned.

Didn't feel like shaving today, so I didn't. It'll keep till tomorrow. Got some important stuff done today. Had to let my cousins know that I won't be coming to Michigan for the annual corn roast gathering. It's 3-4 days of great food, incredible fishing, boating, and general fun with family over the Fourth of July. With the passing of my aunt last year, our parents' generation is gone, making us the official grownups now. A good time is guaranteed for all.

Got some stuff done at home in prep for next week's adventure (6 and a wake up). So many little details to take care of to get ready. Next week I'll probably just quit prepping and relax a couple of days prior. In the meantime, it keeps me busy, but does nothing to take my mind off the surgery. [emoji19]
I watched 3 of my 4 grandparents, and both my parents, gain the benefits of bypass surgery. So I got to see them recover from the surgery in the 1970s, 80s, 90s, and 00s. The rapidity of recovery and seeming minimization of overall trauma more recently, was astounding. I have every confidence that the 20 years since my last observation have only rendered it even more gentle to the patient. And the quality of life of every one of them was profoundly improved, and I'm sure, lengthened by decades. I wish you the best outcome you could hope for.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

And the quality of life of every one of them was profoundly improved, and I'm sure, lengthened by decades. I wish you the best outcome you could hope for.
Thanks, Frank. That's encouraging.
Well I don’t mean go out and get hammered. 😂

More just like have an enjoyable time, to help you get your mind off things for a bit, as you mentioned.
I do that from time to time (go out, not get hammered) , but am currently limited by fatigue. A night out to dinner pushes the limits of my endurance.

• Sudsy Soapery's Unscented Tallow (33)
  • Maggard tuxedo 24mm synthetic
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • C-1 Red Tip Gillette/Gillette Silver Blue (2)
  • Nivea 2 in 1 AS splash
5 and a wake up till surgery. Can't wait to have it done and over with. Beautiful weekend weather in store. It's sunny and 76F/24C now at noon. Quiet times in store for me this weekend. :)

Quiet times in store for me this weekend. :)
Ahhhhhhh yeah............

giphy.gif

Sitting home on Saturday night, it's a hockey night in Pittsburgh! Seattle Kraken are trying to get to game 7 against Dallas. Kraken lead 4-2 with about 13-14 minutes left in 3rd period. 5-2, Kraken just got a short-handed goal. 5-3, three minutes left in the 3rd.

So lately I've been meeting many new and interesting medical people. Lots of them, in fact. One of the first this spring cautioned me not to "do anything strenuous" for fear of my having a myocardial infarction. I went home wondering how I was going to avoid a heart attack, and still keep all the other medical appointments that were multiplying regularly. Only one appointment left now - Thursday's surgery. I've been diligently concentrating on not having a heart attack before then. All of which leaves me at home Saturday night, watching TV. 😒

Sitting home on Saturday night, it's a hockey night in Pittsburgh! Seattle Kraken are trying to get to game 7 against Dallas. Kraken lead 4-2 with about 13-14 minutes left in 3rd period. 5-2, Kraken just got a short-handed goal. 5-3, three minutes left in the 3rd.

So lately I've been meeting many new and interesting medical people. Lots of them, in fact. One of the first this spring cautioned me not to "do anything strenuous" for fear of my having a myocardial infarction. I went home wondering how I was going to avoid a heart attack, and still keep all the other medical appointments that were multiplying regularly. Only one appointment left now - Thursday's surgery. I've been diligently concentrating on not having a heart attack before then. All of which leaves me at home Saturday night, watching TV. 😒
Stay well, brother!! :)

Back