The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Another Shaving Journal

How’s the next MSB coming along?
Not sure there will be an unscented MSB. Kind of takes the fun out of it when not exposing layers of scents.
  • Shannon's Soaps Nil (1)
  • Maggard tuxedo synthetic
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Gillette 1946-7 Aristocrat/Super-Max Stainless blade (6)
  • DSC Post Shave Cream
Thick, creamy lather made this shave a cushiony pleasure. Soap scent is hard to describe, but my wife likes it. :)

This was yesterday's shave:
  • Shannon's Soaps Nil (2)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Gillette 1946-7 Aristocrat/Super-Max Stainless blade (7)
  • DSC Post Shave Cream
Mistakenly used the blade for a 7th shave. It wasn't bad, but not as good as it would have been with a new blade. I'm sure Sam @woodpusher would use the blade several more times, but some of us have standards! ;)

• Shannon's Soaps Nil (3)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Gillette 1946-7 Aristocrat/Super-Max Stainless blade (1)
  • DSC Post Shave Cream
Happy Saturday, Cadre. Hope this gorgeous day finds you well. Sunny and 68F/20C here. No projects this weekend, just normal chores, so I'm looking forward to a couple of relaxing days. 😊

• Shannon's Soaps Nil (4)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Gillette 1946-7 Aristocrat/Super-Max Stainless blade (2)
  • Captain's Choice Lime splash
In a radical departure from the norm, I used an AS that smells good. Captain's Choice was a very favorite of mine from the beginning: aroma and skin care were optimal for me. I joined the ISWS just about the time Cat o' Nine Tales was released, and was an early fan. My wife assured me that fruity scents "usually" don't cause a reaction in her, so I winged it today. Twice Sheri passed within 5 ft of me shortly after application and did not comment. I had completely forgotten that the Lime has bay rum blended in, which appeared right after Sheri passed by. I avoided her for another couple minutes till the bay rum quieted down. Now I'm enjoying a light lime/hint of bay rum aroma that only I can appreciate.

Have a great day, Cadre. :)

• Shannon's Soaps Nil (5)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Gillette 1946-7 Aristocrat/Super-Max Stainless blade (3)
The Lime splash is as I'd remembered: true lime aroma, fleeting presence. Good enough for me to use up what's left from my now-bearded son's bottle, but too fleeting to consider buying it. I can get the same effect from AS at a fraction of the cost. Have a great day, Cadre.

• Shannon's Soaps Nil (6)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Gillette 1946-7 Aristocrat/Super-Max Stainless blade (4)
Uneventful shave today. It's been several minutes since shaving, and the Lime has settled down so only I can smell it. Good splash, but I think I've become accustomed to more skin food than offered here. The Captain's scents are true, however, and his Bay Rum and Co9T remain my favorite bay rum concoctions ever. Shame I can't use them around the house.

• Shannon's Soaps Nil (7)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Gillette 1946-7 Aristocrat/Super-Max Stainless blade (5)
  • DSC Post Shave Cream
Went back to DSC post shave cream for the skin food. My face and neck feel better now than with CC splash. I know some like to add their own skin food, but I don't do that. I seek out splashes and balms that help to heal, and not simply smell good. It's Friday evening, Cadre! The weekend is here.

Back