The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

... a Rogues ramblings & some shave talk too!

12 hour days do end up taking a toll on you. I hope you get some good rest and relaxation soon! Great shave!

16 August, 2020

...well 1 good night's sleep had to do. My Friday night began with an explosion and fire right at quitting time. Ended up on hot standby until midnight. Our department takes care of all the fire equipment on site, hydrants, monitors, deluge systems etc on site. No one injured thank goodness and the fire was still going Saturday morning when we arrived. Investigations will be required before we can see the damage done....

Another theme shave this evening....

Blackland Vector w/ Feather (3)
Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
Moon Soap's Old School
Thayers Cucumber WH
Fine Santal Absolute
Chin Whiskers Morning Wood Balm

...managed to get a good face mapping after 3 days growth this weekend. Trying to follow it will be another story!
The shave went off without a hitch no nick's or cuts or what have you. I like the Vector. It just works. Period.
2nd use with the Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Bar. Not sure yet about pre-shave products other than it really doesn't add a lot of time to my routine!
Moon Soap is an easy soap to lather. This scent I believe is there take on barbershop. It's a bit light on scent strength to my nose but it makes up for it in lather goodness. 3 swaths with the Vector and my mug felt much much better. Amaretto is my favorite product from these folks. More of a cream style offering, the scent just smashes you in the looker, in a very good way. Stronger scents seem to generally appeal to me more.
Fine Santal gives off a nice "gentlemanly" aroma to me and worked quite well with the Old School. Finished it up with some Morning Wood Balm (love that name) which was very woody and played nicely with the other kids on the playground so all in all a great shave was had.Feel good, smell great.
Thanks for reading Cadre and have a great day tomorrow

Yours in fellowship
Dean

Attachments

• IMG_20200813_225653.jpg
    IMG_20200813_225653.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2
17 August, 2020

Good evening Cadre.
Beautiful day here today 27°C(80°F). Haven't had too many of those this summer!! Work went well, with very little on the schedule it did tend to make for a rather long day though....

Shower consisted of B&M's Seville soap to wash away the day followed by some Layrite shampoo and conditioner. Finished with good old Lucky Tiger Face Wash.

Rex Ambassador w/ Silver Blue (2nd I think)
H L Thater 4125/3 28mm Silvertip Fan
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave bar
B&M Le Grande Chypre Excellcior Base
B&M Le Grande Chypre Aftershave
Aqua di Parma Colonia Balm

Back to school with the Rex on 2.5 this evening. A Silver Blue under the hood. Went very well and got a very close shave though my jawline is still not quite there. It's not the razor, definitely my technique. I'm loosing focus on my xtg and atg passes.
Big fan of these Thater Fan's, 2 in the collection now, 26 to 28mm. 30mm from Maggards is on the way. Great loaders with a wonderful face feel. I am enjoying these larger knot's. The 30 should be load's of fun!!
The Excelsior Base lathered up fast and got it painted on with a bit of water (is 20, give or take, finger drops lots??} . Normal for me! Anyway, lightly scented for sure with nice glide and protection. Lather galore but I load long.
Finished up with an alum burn in the neck area where I was chasing. The matching aftershave felt great and settled the neck area nicely. AdP balm killed it. Great shave

Had a good time on the Cadre today, have a safe and enjoyable Tuesday everyone.

Yours in fellowship
Dean

IMG_20200817_065408.jpg

Had a sample of this from Josh awhile back and was a REALLY nice scent. Nice shave !
I'm getting some samples together have about 50 sample containers now I will make sure to include. Need to find some time to get that together 😜 I have a bloodhound nose for scents...it can only smell blood and hound so didn't get much off the puck but the aftershave was delightful.

I've had the fortune to have held down a good job here in Alberta for the last 20 years in the oil and gas industry

Excellent! I spent 40 years in oil & gas industry before pulling the plug to smell the roses (aftershaves!). Article in today's Wall Street Journal about how young folks are having a tough time now in our industry. Godspeed to you, brother. I found it to be an awesome business. Spent 5 years of my run on overseas assignments; also some time at the Irving refinery in Saint John, New Brunswick. Have fun!! :)

19 August, 2020

....lent the Rex out to a buddy of mine at work yesterday for a month or 2, the Karve is at my local Post Office and hopefully a couple of old Gillette's I picked up off the bay. Quick trip tomorrow now, instead of Saturday, to pick up the Mail and back again with some new products and another 24 day stint starting either Saturday/Sunday. Can't wait!!

Blackland Blackbird SB 101 w/ GSB(1)
Semouge 2000 Boar
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Mama Bear's Black Leather Jacket
Alum
Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel
Stirling Unscented Aftershave
Chin Whiskey Alberta Smoke Balm

Hot shower and the work day disappeared just like that! B&M Seville Bar Soap, Layrite shampoo and conditioner and some Lucky Tiger Face Wash rounded out my evening shower routine.

No Pre-shave,(okay Lucky Tiger will be the culprit this evening) so straight to the puck.

"Ever pick up a a new quality leather jacket, hold it to your nose and just inhale..? If so, you know what this shave soap smells like. This refined leathjer aroma is evened out with Lemon And Mandarin Zest with base notes of Patchouli and Frankincense."

That's from the vendors site and yes it does. When I first opened it on delivery the puck was wrapped in cellophane and I smelled my old jacket, instantly came to mind. Tonight, never got that until I applied on my face, did it return, that image. Sweet scent, and I can get a base note though I'm not sure which one. The boar is breaking in well and got a pretty good lather. I did apply it directly from the puck on to my face as well for good measure. Lathered up with a good bit of water and it was time for the Blackbird to sing, which it did. I used the longer 101mm handle today and ended up with a couple of weepers.

Finished off with some Stirling Unscented and some Alberta Smoke Balm which went very well with the leather. Dried down and it feels great very smooth and soft. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful and safe day tomorrow.

Yours in fellowship
Dean

Excellent! I spent 40 years in oil & gas industry before pulling the plug to smell the roses (aftershaves!). Article in today's Wall Street Journal about how young folks are having a tough time now in our industry. Godspeed to you, brother. I found it to be an awesome business. Spent 5 years of my run on overseas assignments; also some time at the Irving refinery in Saint John, New Brunswick. Have fun!! :)
I hear ya I've been playing in this sandbox for 20 years and 10 years before that on the other side of the province (mostly maintenance). Managed to stay around Alberta most of my days. It is a great way to make a living once you know how to play the game. Certainly looking forward to my last days though. Plumbing is my trade but honestly I'm an oilpatch worker.
I'm not sure whats going on with that generation, to me they seem to want to let the government take care of them at least in Canada. You have a great day sir and love those photos and your shaves glad to have you around here (y)

Ya the turn of the jaw can be a pain. Either hair left there or sting from trying to remove it.
....so I've been giving that little "signature move" of your's a go where you tilt your noggin' and get that ""flattened" effect, for a couple of weeks now and that's helped immensely. Tonight for instance 2 hours later that area is bbs on the left and dfs+ on the right with 0 irritation I might add.... still haven't mastered it with the Vector and the Ambassador. I'm so comfortable with the 'bird that I wasn't even thinking and glided right thru the process. Honestly I don't think I would have ever thought of doing that until I seen it. The vlog's are a great way to pick up little tidbits like that and try to apply them in our own routines. If they work great and sometimes they don't and that's ok too. I'm learning lot's here. Keep them coming Dave, there a good view and thank's.(y)(y) Need more evening shavers though, you character's get up way to early, I'd be a mess. Now that I think about you vlogger's are a mess at that time too:ROFLMAO:.....

Oh, that sounds like a good scent
....it certainly is, both of them. First use with both the soap and balm but I'm really diggin' this combo tonight. I suck at getting scents(smoker for 42 years) but that smoke went well with the leather. I'm thinking this great face feel is the glycerine soap base....

20 August, 2020

.... a nice day off yesterday, a quick trip to the acreage today, mail to pick up etc.. new products for the den and a very late shave last night

Blackland Vector w/ Feather
SV 2.0 Tortoise (26mm High Mountain Badger)
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Bar
Zangari Man's The Navigator
Noble Otter's Plunder
Duke Cannon's Ice Cold Balm

Very nice shave, Great soap light scent, Plunder has that gunpowder smoke scent which dissipates after a bit.
Stay well today Cadre

Yours in fellowship
Dean

Back