The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

... a Rogues ramblings & some shave talk too!

1savvyRogue

Shave Member
Hi everyone I finally made it to here.
I have been shaving in the traditional manner for almost 2 years now. My buddy never really got me into it, but he had a DE in the bathroom and my fascination was peaked.
I can barely remember my dad using a DE but I do remember them in the bathroom, 60 years have fogged my recollections. I'll have to see if those razors are still about, might find my birth year Gillette, now wouldn't that be a treat.
I've had the fortune to have held down a good job here in Alberta for the last 20 years in the oil and gas industry (the first 20 years,not so great in the wage department) and it's allowed me to acquire some reputable hardware in this hobby and my other mistress, vinyl records. My thinking is get what I need now before I'm on a fixed income (retirement or a reasonable facsimile of retirement and can't afford some of the luxuries of either hobby.)
Needless to say my acquisition disorder is in full gear lol.
So about shaving.
I stayed away from the forums in the beginning for the most part mainly to just get my own groove so to speak. I think I started with a Rockwell but lusted for that Blackland Blackbird until it was in the den. I've been shaving with it going on 2 years now and honestly not too many bad shaves and if there was it was just me not paying attention. Used nothing but Silver Blues in her then started changing it up a bit with some Balzano's. Both have worked well for me.
Soaps and brushes seem to be my, shall I say, obsession. Way to many soaps, need to get some sample jars and share. A growing battalion of brushes stands guard over them. I've curbed my enthusiasm to just four face scythes, the Blackbird, Rex Ambassador., a Karve and a Vector are in the mail. Down the road some Gillette birth years would make nice additions.
Here in Canada the choices for purchasing is definitely limited and it finds me occasionally ordering from the USA to compliment the cave, which gets rather expensive with the exchange rate but for the most part I get by with my retailers just fine.
Started watching some YouTube videos a few months ago and ran across Handlebarber Dave and really enjoyed his SV videos as I have most of them and that's when I learned of the Cadre. Joined up, but things got hectic at work with the Covid situation, so only got to lurk a bit. As it were when I did find time I started with the SOTD forum, starting from when I first embarked on my wet shaving journey back in March of last year and have been relaxing, spending the evenings perusing all of you folks gear (some very nice gear indeed I must say) and getting the lay of the land so to speak.
Work has settled in to the new normal , for now, so I thought I'd put myself out there (which I very seldom do) and share some of my thoughts and shaves and hopefully attain some solid advice and knowledge along the way.

Yours in fellowship
Dean

I've never been much for writing journals, not that I have never tried, just never stuck with it. Hopefully this won't end in the same manner.

No shave today.
Great way to start a shave journal wouldn't you say.
It appears that it's an every other day affair for me, though I've been pushing a daily ritual lately (2 months). Not going well either I might add haha. I have been trying to dial in this new Rex Ambassador the past week and the shaves have been rough. Lot's of variables, a new badger getting broke in after a synthetic binge for the last 6 months, hard water here, where I work and stay, soft water at my home (away a month at a time, most of the time) that could be causing the quality of my shaves to decline.
Intuition tells me to change blades and put the Silver Blue's back in the show and put the Feather aside. Haven't used a Feather blade up until now, probably did with the Blackbird but honestly don't recall. They are sharp like there reviews say. Adjustable's are also a new frontier for me. I am sure I will get it figured out in due course.

What I generally due on my off day is practice my lathering technique, forcing lather to its limits also trying to match soaps and different after shaves, and all the little things that make a difference in our shaves. The scents as well as the ritual are very therapeutic for me and honestly the aromatic effect has really helped with my mental health. Having an evening shave routine grounds me, eliminates the daily grind as well as grime and my sleep has improved dramatically.

Just a shout out to everyone for making me feel welcome.

AWESOME first entry even without a shave 😂 I found the Ambassador rough but got great shaves from the Envoy. You're gonna LOVE the Vector. Favorite blade in t is the Schick Proline "P" blade. p-20 or P-30. The number designates how many in the pack. Curious to see what TSC swag you ordered ?

Welcome to the journals! Great entry!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Great! You’re going to fit right in here. Welcome Dean!

Really good first entry in the journals! I think if you look around at the other journals you will find that we all do them differently. Some write at lengths about their morning shave (I'm pointing the finger at me here), others just briefly. Some write about home...others, well not so much. There isn't a right way or a wrong way to do this. We just all like learning about one another. Through the journals it seems that we can actually c all each other friends. Keep up the good work! If in if you drop a line or two from time to time...believe me...there will be people here that want to read it.

Oh...and...

i-like-your-style-dude.gif

AWESOME first entry even without a shave 😂 I found the Ambassador rough but got great shaves from the Envoy. You're gonna LOVE the Vector. Favorite blade in t is the Schick Proline "P" blade. p-20 or P-30. The number designates how many in the pack. Curious to see what TSC swag you ordered ?
thank you kindly Dave on the blade advice for the vector. I watched your videos on the Rex after I purchased (great job on the video's by the way, very honest). I'm gonna run her thru the paces and come what may. Got me a couple of sweet Covid coffee mugs, one for coffee at work (might get to convert a few lol) and a soaking mug for the cave. Some towels are also heading my way. :cool:

July 21/2020

Tonite's starting lineup:
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Blackland Blackbird w/ Gillette Silver Blue(1)
Stirling Synthetic (what a great brush and a great value)
Smokeberry soap by Lakewood Soaps
Snakebite by Fine
Smokeberry balm by Lakewood Soaps

Just got the soap and balm from Lakewood the other day, Beale Street soap and balm as well (love that Stax sound) So glad we can get balm shipped on this side of the 49th, aftershave no dice.
A question for the Cadre, the soaps that are died or whatever the artisans do to get color in there soaps, do they have any effect on light colored brushes. Does it stain? I'm using a cheaper synth with this as not to damage a boar or badger. Any thoughts?

As far as the shave ditched the Rex for tonight. Need to get back on track, cross off some variables and start with a healthy face. Give the Rex and a silver blue a shot in a couple days, get back on routine for starters. Great shave tonite. The Blackbird did her job well married to the Silver Blue.Honestly it's never let me down with the blue. This soap is incredibly slick and lathers effortlessly. Ended up loading for about 35s because the scent is intoxicating. No stains on the Stirling either! Has this ever happened to anyone? Yeah the scent is intense. The balm same just a great product all around. Leave it up for 3 or 4 more shaves Will definitely be going back to this down the road.....

Yours in fellowship
Dean

The Big Lebowski: "Are you employed, sir?"
The Dude: "Employed? ...ah-ha..."
The Big Lebowski: "You don't go out looking for a job dressed like that, do ya? On a weekday?"
The Dude: "Is this a... what day is this?"
The Big Lebowski: "Well, I do work sir. So if you don't mind..."
The Dude: "I DO mind... uh, the Dude minds! This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man..."

A question for the Cadre, the soaps that are died or whatever the artisans do to get color in there soaps, do they have any effect on light colored brushes. Does it stain? I'm using a cheaper synth with this as not to damage a boar or badger. Any thoughts?

To my memory I’ve only ever had a couple soaps that weren’t white or white-ish. A good question though. I wouldn’t think soap makers would risk heavy dies on the chance a customer’s skin gets technicolored inadvertently, lol.

A good question for @CBLindsay or @Joe Hackett!

To answer your question about soap color. I can’t say with 100 percent certainty that ALL artisans avoid adding dye to shave soaps but I am going to go out on a limb and say they don’t. Dye/color is usually reserved for bar soaps meant to look nice as part of their overall appeal. Shave soap is usually made without dyes or colorant for two reasons, one is it isn’t necessary so it would be an added expense for no added value, 2nd it can result I irritation OR at a minimum be perceived as the/a reason a soap might be irritating. The color you see in a soap, when it isn’t pure white, will be caused by other things that have been added to the soap. Some oils/fats will change the color some depending on how refined they are, these usually result in a color closer to yellow. Chemicals present in the fragrance are typically the reason soaps will turn colors, the colors can be quite varied depending on what is being used and isn’t necessarily a sign that an artificial fragrance was used. Many natural fragrance compounds react with other compounds or oxidize and produce different colors. The two most common colors I’ve encountered are brown (from vanillin/vanilla containing scents) and blue ( I don’t know what did it but it happens). Both of these colors will happen even if you add a clear fragrance oil and the soap looks white after you mix it, the color appears as the cpap cures. Other natural fragrances often stain the soap as it’s added. Some soaps are made darker colored my caramelizing of the sugars that have been added (beer based, honey, sugar, milk) or “burning”. Every time I try to work with an olive oil based soap (hot process) I get impatient and burn it, it turns brown and smells like dog food. Other artisans like LNHC that actually know how to make soap (I can make shave soap, that’s it) can do magic with all sorts of oils and never turn it into dog food.

The short answer about colors in shave soap is, NO, they typically don’t stain a brush because they aren’t usually an actual color additive. In most cases the color won’t Even end up in the lather. The exception to this might be a beer based soaps and maybe those with coffee and tea etc as additives.

Excellent journal entries, Dean. (y) I've never had any staining on my brush; I think everything rinses off. I look forward to reading more. I have a C-1 Gillette Red Tip that is my birth year and quarter. I had it replated so it looks like new. It is quite a treat to use a razor that is the same age as I am. I wonder who bought it in 1957 and how many shavers used it before it landed in my mailbox. Soaps and brushes, huh? That can get pretty expensive. We have a couple of brush makers here that can do custom work for far less than the open market. Never heard a complaint about their work, so you may want to consider their products.

Oh yeah, welcome to The Cadre, and enjoy your shaves!

To my memory I’ve only ever had a couple soaps that weren’t white or white-ish. A good question though. I wouldn’t think soap makers would risk heavy dies on the chance a customer’s skin gets technicolored inadvertently, lol.

A good question for @CBLindsay or @Joe Hackett!

Some soaps will have clay added that will affect color. Most are affected by fragrance components like Vanillin though. They oxidize and will turn the soap some shade of tan or brown. The higher the vanillin content, the darker the effect. It also creates the effect of dark on the inside/ light on the outside.

The only soap I have that has any type of colorant that is not clay or a result of the oil itself is the Island Man. It does have a small amount of blue foodsafe dye simply because the company that makes that fragrance for us keeps it in there standard. I like the way it looks, though.

Back