The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

... a Rogues ramblings & some shave talk too!

21 August, 2020

...... scheduled for an AC-Gastroscopy today at 2. Was going to skip tonight's shave but feeling just fine this evening. My car on the other hand isn't and is in the shop until Tuesday by the looks of it.

Old School Theme Shave

Gillette Fat Handle Tech (1938-1945)
Gillette TTO Flair Tip/Black Tip 1956
Gillette Silver Blues in both (1)
Thater 4125/4 Silvertip Fan 30mm
Rattlestick's Fierce Pre-Shave Cream
Arsenal Grooming's Prohibition
Alum
Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel
Dr. Jon's Black Label Aftershave
Penhaligon's Endymion Balm

....all showered up with the usual for this month,
B&M Seville Bar Soap, Layrite shampoo and conditioner, Lucky Tiger Face Wash rounded off the cleansing.
New to me razors, first foray into that rabbit hole of vintage de's, purchased from the Bay of E. Going with the Tech for 2 passes and the Flair for the last and clean up.....

Easy loading off the puck and lots of gooey lather soaked up in the big 30mm knot of this Thater. 30 second load time and the scent off the puck is intriguing. Thought of A&E Khalifa and Kathmandu of TfS fame the Kat being on the ligher side of the trio. Drug them out to compare as I need to school myself on these matters, and I think I'm pretty close. Prohibition smells like that off the puck, mysterious. Lather was abundant after a very small amount of hydration, the scent always lingers. Another face lathering this evening. These silvertip fans feel very nice on the old mug and its nice to linger awhile

Rattlestick Fierce is a cream style pre-shave product that you lather right over the top of, it certainly didn't interfere with the other actors.

Prohibitions' scent off the puck...
Scent Profile: Scent inspired by Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male
Notes: Mint, Lavender, Vanilla, Bergamot, Cinnamon, Cumin, Orange Blossom, Vanilla, Tonka, Sandalwood, and Cedarwood.

It's just mysterious, exactly like Khalifa to me. A very stylish scent indeed and won't hesitate to return, next time to bowl lather.

The Fat Handle Tech, remarkably took care of my stubble on 2 of the passes and wish I would have used it on my third pass but the Flair did just fine finishing it up. Going to enjoy these 2. They both handled well and wielding them around was comfortable.

Finished up with Dr. J's Black Label which didn't interfere but blended into the scene. Endymion balm is silky goodness, and a little goes a long way and also another mystery of alchemy, at least to my sniffer.

A great shave, everything feels awesome after dry down.
So hope the weekend delivers you to your destinations safely Cadre. Thanks for taking the time to peruse...

Yours in fellowship
Dean

IMG_20200821_105433.jpg

Nice shave! Great first vintage razor picks! There's a lot of good shaving to be found I Vintage razors, and it's pretty budget friendly too.

Good luck at 2!

24 August, 2020
... a weekend of shaves went very well with a '56 Flaretip, a Tech and the bronze Karve with a D plate for it's opening act. Awesome swathers one and all. Gillette Silver Blues in everything keep's the playing field level.
All the soaps have been stellar. Sourthern Witchcraft, Stirling and Lakewood Soaps provided me with loads of lather and great scents off the puck and throughout the harvesting. A nice transistion from work to play.
The Carmilla aftershave splash stood out the most to me. It had this healing my face kinda feeling the moment I applied it. Lakewood balms are super soothing and left me with a soft face feel for hours.
After dry down, no complaints whatsoever with any of the item's used.

This time of year is our busiest at work. It's time for winterization and it takes about six weeks to complete. It's our fall season here during this time and it flies by but so has the summer for that matter.
Best of the day to you Cadre and thanks for reading

Yours in fellowship
Dean

IMG_20200822_200954.jpgIMG_20200823_212451.jpgIMG_20200822_215305.jpg

25 August, 2020

... around 4 this afternoon started developing 3 or 4 ingrown hairs in the neck area. This is a first for me having never experienced that before. I'm going to say it's from shaving every day but I'm also wondering if it might have to do with the brass Karve? Couple day's off and the next plate down for a start! Some good skin food going on this evening as well and some more first thing in the a.m. just for good measure!

I am not sure why but this artisan intrigues me!! They have a decent lineup, minimal ingredients and a great graphic presentation. Must feed my soap appetite! Especially the Shibusa 2. I can purchase most of their soaps from TOTC here in Canada but not Shibusa 2 (out of stock) or any of the matching aftershaves (not available). If the shave goes well with this base, will order AS soap matches and Shibusa right from Italy.

The trusty 'bird is on deck, with the 2nd use of a GSB under the hood.

Pre-shave routine included a hot shower, Lucky Tiger Face Wash and the PAA Ice Cube.

As far as the soap, what this guy says:
⬇⬇⬇

Epic, some of the looks he serves up are wicked. Pretty sure he said magnifico two or three times. I'm not fluent in Italian (this is Italian I think) but magnifico seems like it might make the grade. This cat has a boatload of videos and I'm thinking he's a legend in Europe. Certainly entertaining, makes me want to Rosetta Stone some Italian.

Seriously good face lather this evening. My Thater's rock, so so soft and zero scritch. Soap performance ticked all the right boxes in every category for me. Order placed. Appetite satisfied...for now

Found some Maol Frankenlime hiding in the cupboard which would have paired well with last night's shave, Lakewood's Old Time Lime. Oh well shouldn't be a problem with the Lemon Mint either. And it did!

Post shave included a quick Alum pass, some Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel and the Frankenlime to finish. Pretty basic skin repair this evening.In the morning, Saponificio skin repair may be in order.

No nick's, cuts, irritation or redness (other than what developed this afternoon). Dry down was favorable but I do find the Frankenlime a bit "tacky". Talc applied after some soaking up which left me nice and smooth for the remainder of the evening

That's all I got Cadre best of the day to you all and thanks for reading.

Yours in fellowship
Dean

IMG_20200825_200348.jpg

Last edited:
I subscribed to him some time ago, definitely entertaining. And I agree that it makes me want to learn Italian, but you don't have to speak the language to recognize a damn good shave.

Nice shave Dean. 3 minute mark had me a little concerned and trying to figure out what he was doing to his brush. Sadly I left the video at that point........

Back