The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

... a Rogues ramblings & some shave talk too!

10 August, 2020

Good evening Cadre
....Monday night shave went very well. The Vector is incredible, third straight evening of shaves with zero irritation. Might turn me into a daily shaver yet. I can see myself using this for clean up work with other razors. I'm still having some trouble spots, same with any razor I seem to use, it's my technique though need to remember to "flatten" out my face more at the jawline. Still , I'm getting a DFS with this swather. The other actors in the show this evening are from Phoenix Artisan Accouterments. The "Rabid Banana" family to be precise. This CK6 formula really lathers up nice with awesome cushion and slickness and the scent is well...banana, maybe a banana farm, it's delicious I wanted to stick cereal all over my face and have breakfast. First time I've used jelly aftershave, a little goes along way with this product. Face feels great after dry down. Got thinking somebody needs to make a peanut butter balm, just sayin'...

Yours in fellowship
Dean

Peanut butter balm? I thought peanut butter was for shaving with, not post shave ... hm.

11 August, 2020

....not sure if this counts as old school, 4711 fits the bill for sure, Retro sounds old school and wasn't Baxter an old silent film star. Works for me.

Felt a little irritation later on this morning but nothing serious more redness than anything. Fourth shave with Vector, laid off trying for BBS especially in the neck area. Loaded with a new Feather black.
This razor hates whisker's, just annihilates them. More testing required gonna be hard to put it down when the Karve shows up.
I have a few of Arsenal's soaps and aftershaves, Brooklyn Barber and Beach Goer are 2 that come to mind. From there website.....

Retro Man
A fresh, daring, and masculine scent, inspired by Hugo Boss Night.
Notes: Inspired by Hugo Boss Night, notes of lavender and birch tree. The heart blooms with intense notes of African violet before the scent settles into warm, woody accords of Louro Amarelo tree and sensual notes of musk.
A well designed and expertly crafted soap base that provides a creamy, dense, and protective lather that takes slickness to the highest level. This tallow base will help provide a close shave. You will enjoy shaving with this base.

....not much of a cologne guy and aftershaves are fairly new to me as well (never used them while cartridge shaving) so any Hugo Boss comparisons are lost on me.

THEME SHAVE!!
Blackland Vector w/ Feather blade (1)
Cmon 77-5, Heritage Collection Gel, fan, 26mm, Butterscotch & Black
Baxter of California Shave Tonic Pre/Post
Arsenal Grooming Retro Man
4711 After Shave

Retro Man lathers very easily and quickly from a 25 second load. Very lightly scented to my nose but I tend to lose concentration on that part of my shave.It was pleasant as well as protective. Baxter's pre shave required a damp hot towel which you spray the product with and then apply to your face. I get the same from my Lucky Tiger Face Wash, which I might add is a great product. It's the last thing that happens in my shower routine. Looks like the Baxter will be joining it in there! And 4711 is well, 4711. Trying a technique I learned from here for the areas that require more attention, seems to work. Great shave all around with no nicks or cuts with. DFS+ after a pleasant dry down.
Hope all is well with Cadre this evening and thanks for reading.

Yours in fellowship
Dean

Last edited:
Good stuff, Dean. I'm glad the Vector is treating you relatively well. It sure loves to eat whiskers, but it'll grab some meat on the process if you get too careless.

13 August, 2020

...had to get some shut eye last night. 12 hour days, day in day out have me absolutely exhausted. Slept a full 8, felt not too bad thru the day today another solid 8 tonight will help.😴

Blackland Vector w/ Feather (2)
Thater 4125/1 26mm Silvertip
Stirling's Unscented Pre-Shave Soap Bar
Henri et Victoria's Cognac & Cuban Cigars soap
Henri et Victoria's Cognac and Cuban Cigars AS
Henri et Victoria's Unscented Balm

...a nice hot shower 🚿to start, my day of industrial grime was scrubbed away with a bar of Barrister and Mann's Seville bath soap (first use), a generous size brick of suds it is and what a great scent. A light scent, not an in your mug kinda scent but just familiar.
Had some Layrite Daily shampoo and conditioner that needs to get used up. Pretty good stuff and I'm enjoying it but John Allen's Ocean shampoo and Mint conditioner is still my fav. Lucky Tiger Face Wash finished off my shower session. I have absent mindedly put this in my hair on a few occasions instead of my face! Lathers very well and a great scent too. Love this stuff.

Was going to use PAA Ice Cube for the pre-shave, but menthol with this lineup didn't seem right (never brought the Original Cube with me, next time) so went with Stirling Unscented instead (first use). Massaged it in and left it on for the first pass.

This is the triple milled version of Cognac & Cuban Cigars the 2 others I have from HéV, Absinthe and La Poire Francaise are not but still are top performers. Loaded easily and copius amounts of lather with minimal hydration. I can't get the cognac but I'm trippin' on the tobacco, its like expensive tobacco and fresh. Virgin Island tobacco is where it's taking me, a memory. That's never happened to me before. Association from a shave! Anyways great stuff but you guys already know that. Really need to get the whole line.

I really like this Thater brush, fans really are nice face lathering brushes. According to it's rap sheet it's a 25mm knot. 20 seconds provided an ample load. Face feel with this Silvertip is superb.

The Vector is truly the main character in my shaves right now. My Blackbird is still sweet and I can see myself combining them on shaves. A year and a half of great shaves will not relegate it to the shadows. Today though the Vector has the lead role and did not disappoint. 3 passes without incident took care of 2 days stubble leaving me with absolutely stellar shave.

Finished off with some more C&CC after shave and their unscented balm kept the scent profile of the soap and aftershave going without interference.

I need to pull the trigger on a Canadian pre-shave product (Rattlestick is one) so when the Karve arrives I can do an all Canucklehead shave eh, oh yeah and a blade (does buying a blade from the local grocery store count, sure why not lol).

Good night Cadre have a safe and fulfilling journey tomorrow.

Yours in fellowship
Dean

Attachments

• IMG_20200813_200146.jpg
    IMG_20200813_200146.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back