The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

8 days in with my Gillette Guard and it is showing no signs of wearing down yet. I am still getting an effortless two pass near BBS. No pics since I left my camera at home, but you seen one Guard, you seen them all.
I have a guard blade in a wrapper that came with other stuff. Keep meaning to get a handle with more blades to try it. You've piqued my curiosity again 👍

Shave 25/OBF 8

20200209_082027.jpg

Keep the shave streak alive. The soap was spinning around in the tub as I loaded the brush. Might be about time to move it to a bowl. the blade is still going strong and aside from 1 spot that I seem to have missed my angle I'm super smooth. felt like a good day for deep woods to finish things off.

9 days in, 9 great shaves!

I know not everyone is on shave 9 yet, but it looks like everyone is still on their first blade. So I’m wondering, at this point, has anyone taken their blade any longer than they usually do, or have done in the past?

I know not everyone is on shave 9 yet, but it looks like everyone is still on their first blade. So I’m wondering, at this point, has anyone taken their blade any longer than they usually do, or have done in the past?
Not yet. My previous streak on the same blade was 12 and if I remember right that blade was also a Nacet. Can‘t wait to see how this blade is at the end of the month.

I'm pretty sure I normally get at least a dozen per blade unless something happens to it.

I usually swap blades after 4-5 uses, but they could almost always be pushed further. I usually change them so I don’t run into an issue with a dull blade. Today was shave 9 with the Derby Premium and no problems so far.

I’m on shave 8 and it’s still as smooth as ever. The longest I’ve use a blade is 14 shaves. Tonight I’m thinking I’ll switch the Yates for a 40’s super speed. I picked one up at a swap meet and have been meaning to clean it up and see how it shaves.

9th shave with the Feather/Tech combo. Still getting good shaves though it did feel/look like part of the blade on one side was not cutting as I attempted to cleanup my sideburns, don’t know if it’s bent or not, I’ll have to inspect more closely later.

Razor: Black Handled Super Speed
Blade: Derby Premium (8)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Gin & Tonic
AS: Stirling Gin & Tonic

Razor: Black Handled Super Speed
Blade: Derby Premium (9)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: WSP Barbershop
AS: Skin Bracer

Still going strong on shave 9. Might switch razors again for tomorrow morning’s shave. We'll see.

IMG_8053.jpeg

Going into week 2. I haven't used a 7 O'Clock Yellow in over a year, and my first week with it in Vintage Gillettes was honestly rough, but I'm finding the shaves are actually getting better now. A nice shave was had today.
The Yellow is working great right out of the gate in the Gibbs adjustable however, which was why I wanted to try it for this experiment.

View attachment 16780

Going into week 2. I haven't used a 7 O'Clock Yellow in over a year, and my first week with it in Vintage Gillettes was honestly rough, but I'm finding the shaves are actually getting better now. A nice shave was had today.
The Yellow is working great right out of the gate in the Gibbs adjustable however, which was why I wanted to try it for this experiment.
That brush! Wow. Who makes it, if I may ask. Thanks.

I typically changed blades on Sunday, so shave 8 this morning puts me 2 days past my average of 6-7 shaves per blade. This particular brand has not been used more than 6 shaves.

1 finger phone typing.

Shave 26/ OBF 9
20200210_051038.jpg

Great shave this morning. Lather was off the charts! Had my brush a bit dryer than usual when I loaded and had to add more water than normal while lathering but the Bush just about exploded with lather.

Pulled out an old sample of Crown Shaving Co. Shaving Cream and thought I'd finish it up in the next few days. Shave #8 on the Wilkie was just a tiny bit tuggy, but it may have been the razor (Gillette New Deluxe Norfolk) or the shaving cream. In any event, I'm not even close to thinking about changing blades.

Shave 5

Stuck with the Bakelite Tech. Shave #5 on the Gillette 7 o'clock Black. Used WCS Oriental (CB edition) and a Sagrada Famiglia brush.

A very good shave. I think I've come to the conclusion that the razor is really competent, but the La Toja definitely played a hefty role in my last shave. I'm guessing: it held the hairs more ridgid, like a pomade, allowing more accurate cutting. Regardless, that just means both purchases were spot on. Thanks again guys for the fantastic recommendations. [emoji106]

Shave 5 was good for the blade. Getting nearer to my maximum (7) shaves on a blade. It'll be interesting to see how it goes when I cross that threshold. Been wiping down, hand stropping, and flipping the blade. Next week I should know if it helped at all.
573526f94ce22a414942434da127abc9.jpg

Ok had shave 6 last night but I think I should have waited longer as my ankle is really hurting again now I shouldn't have tried to stand that long. The shave went great though with the blade.

Back