The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

Still going strong, though today's shave with the Gibbs was a bit on the rough side. Not giving up yet though.

Do you guys do anything to help preserve the edge? Dry the blade, strop?

Shave #13! Using my Parson's V1.5 lemongrass soap from @The Monkey. It's wonderfully slick and really makes the shave off this blade feel great. Still no change in feel off this blade.

Do you guys do anything to help preserve the edge? Dry the blade, strop?
I do absolutely nothing. I rinse it, and then set it down on the counter to dry.

13th shave with the Tech/Feather combo. Edge seems fully calmed, shaves have been pretty good, with no irritation. Shave longevity might be only be slightly reduced.

Shave 30/OBF 13

20200214_090246.jpg

Well today was indeed the final shave of my 3017. Lather was kinda airy even after loading way longer than normal but still provided a great shave. I scraped out the last little bit and added it to my CP tub. Was a bit larger than a BB. Maybe airsoft pellet size? I've never messed with those.

The blade is still doing great! Nice smooth and close shave.

Shave 7

The blade seems to have bounced back from the last shave. It felt a little rought during the first pass, but mellowed completely for pass number 2 and 3. In the end, a nice smooth three pass shave was had.

For this shave I used my game changer 68, Yaqi Purple Haze, and CBL Tonsorial California Sunrise. [emoji106]

FYI: I believe this is as far as I have ever stretched a blade. Next shave will be a brave New world with lucky (?) #8.

a778e25a66c58b41d524410dc03f234b.jpg

Shave 14 tonight and the guard is beginning to get noisy. It still shaves well, but I find I need to be careful and stretch my skin more. I switched handles tonight to allow for something heavier and longer to give some leverage in shaving. Seemed to work well as I still got a near BBS after two passes. Of course, using a quality soap helped. ;)

DSC03068.JPG

Man...... ADHD sucks! Totally thought I had posted on here about my second shave this month, but hadn't.

Oh well, there is now a THIRD shave this month, same Silver Star blade, same Gillette Tech. But as it (was) Valentine's I was in a hurry to take my lovely bride out before the lunch crowd, lol, and I shaved in the shower!

The soap surprised me, as it was some goat's milk stuff she bought from a friend a few years ago and it smells of raspberries! Anyway, I just lathered it in my palms and applied to my face. Plenty slick, but not the best cushion. It was the third shave of February, but the 13th use of the blade.

Followed it all up with some vintage Avon Oland!

Shaves 13 and 14 in the books with 15 to commence at some point on this lazy Saturday. Getting excellent shaves with the Derby Premium/Game Changer combo. I think the slight appearance of irritation a few shaves ago was user error and not the blade, as the last 2 shaves have been excellent.

Halfway through the month now and the Personna Red is hanging in so far
The Personna Red is my GoTo blade, just love them. They work in any razor I have tried, and I always get a Really Comfortable Shave (RCS!) and no drama. I think the most I've used one is 14 days and I only stopped due to the siren call of other blades. Up until the last minute, it was going to be my blade for the Challenge, then I switched at the last minute.

Great shaves to you for the remainder of the month!

Shaves #10 and #11 were with my Gamechanger 0.84 on the road with D.R. Harris Lavender stick. Pretty good....

But today's 3-pass shave with my Charcoal Goods Level 3 (Copper SB) was spectacular. Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood seemed to perform well - first time using this scent. Looks like the Wilkie (12 shaves in) still has life left.

Shave 15 with my Guard. Tonight (and for the rest of the challenge), I put the cartridge back on my original modded handle which as the regular Guard handle but with a long bolt stuffed in the hole of the handle and covered with a couple of layers of Plasti Dip to give it more weight and grip. Shave tonight was definitely louder than before and I really needed to stretch my skin and go a little off angle in my strokes. Officially, the shaves are now at the two pass DFS level instead of the near BBS as before. Tomorrow I will be entering uncharted territory with my Guard cartridge as I have not gone past 16 days on a cartridge.

Shave 8 (Gillette 7 o'clock Black)

I've been really thinking about my den and the surplus I have. This week, moreso, the razors. 90% of the time I think I've gravitated towards the GC 68. So, I decided to go over some of my other razors and see what I think.

Today I broke out my prewar tech. I made it through the first pass and a half then moved the blade and finished up with my new Bakelite Tech. To me, 100% the Bakelite wins. It feels better, more precise, lighter in the hand... Just all around a more enjoyable shave.

The blade hung in there well. I didn't notice any tugging or other characteristics of a poor blade. I feel like it might not have cut as well, but it felt fine to my skin.

After the shave I flipped the blade. I decided to stop hand stropping a few shaves ago as I didn't know if it was the reason for the rough shave in my 6th (?) First pass.

High hopes it continues through the rest of the month.

PS: I cannot see anywhere where I may have posted such, so I apologize if this is duplicative, I just want to be sure I let you know @Spider ... Please don't include me in the PIF part. I just want to go through the challenge to see if I can, and learn something from it. Thanks.
f499d8b555666d1042c260b51c51cb5a.jpg

Back