The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

Last night was #7 on the Wizamet. Tuggy but no weepers. I'm feeling it this morning though. Feels like some ingrowns are starting like I used to get with carts. I'm going to call it done for this blade.

Shave 21/OBF 4
20200205_041154.jpg

Another very good shave today. One thing I'm really enjoying with this soap is that the scent is present during the shave but fades fast enough that I can use pretty much whatever AS scent I like with no issues. The Shark SS seems to be settling in now. Only 1 weeper today and that's just an angry follicle that can't seem to stay out of the way the last couple days.

I was also surprised to see I found the bottom of the tub after rinsing the remaining proto lather. Still a long way to go but at least it's a sign I'm making progress.
20200205_045656.jpg

Absolutely great shave today. I've owned a level 3 Charcoal Goods razor for about 6 months now and bought a level 2 razor a little at a time over the last part of 2019. But I never used it all until today.

Preshave: Grooming Dept Eucalyptus
Brush: APShaveCo Gelousy
Soap: L&L Grooming - Chatillon Lux Champs de Lavande
Razor: Charcoal Goods Lvl 2 SB - Copper
Blade: Wilkinson Light Brigade (4)
AS: Castle Forbes Lavender balm

@bobmsp You can't go wrong with Charcoal Goods for sheer artisan attractiveness and quality. I have had smooth and efficient shaves with all 3 levels (only quicker with L3) using open (not L1) or closed comb guards.

@bobmsp You can't go wrong with Charcoal Goods for sheer artisan attractiveness and quality. I have had smooth and efficient shaves with all 3 levels (only quicker with L3) using open (not L1) or closed comb guards.
I really like my Level 3. It's probably my top razor in the very efficient category - beating my iKon Tech and R41 among others. My only fear about the L2 was whether it was going to be duplicative of other razors I have.

Razor: Yuma
Blade: Derby Premium (5)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: Razorock Santal Royale
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue Sport

5th shave on the Derby blade today and all is well. I did have just a hint of irritation on the cheeks, but it disappeared by the time I hit my face with the aftershave. Tomorrow I'm switching to another razor. Probably a black handled Super Speed. We'll see what happens...

IMG_20200204_201922794~2.jpg
That was my preshave shot. No post shave shot. The brush is a Marvy that started shedding immediately after purchase, so I decided to experiment with it by never rinsing it, just adding soap however much it needed. The "mug" is some weird thing I picked up at Goodwill. I ain't rinsed it out ever either. The Silver Star blade was used for it's 11th time. The brush lost another dozen or so bristles. Didn't stink, and my face is still as handsome as ever. May shave again tonight?

Shave 22/OBF 5
20200206_042357.jpg

Soap and blade are both going strong. I'm really going to try and keep the blade going for a full 30 shaves at least if I can. Before starting this blade for the February one blade challenge I had actually stopped keeping track of how many shaves I had on any blades. Figured I'd just use it till it was no good then change up. Numbers can have a way of messing with you if you let them, self fulfilling prophecies and such.

#6 in the books. I've been using @Dragonsbeard soap for the majority of these shaves, and the slickness of this soap is really helping. I use blades for at least a month at a time, and I truly believe using slick soaps helps prolong the longevity of them. The blade today feels exactly as it did the first couple of shaves.

Shave #3

RR Game changer 68
Gillette 7 o'clock Black (3)
WCS Gatsby (Original)
Chiseled face natural aftershave

Shave three with the 7 o'clock black. As I'm still within well travel territory, I expected and got a great shave. Wasn't planning on going with the Gatsby, but the scent called to me.

eba26c3598264f29f487718634cfbda7.jpg

Shave Time!

Razor: Black Handle Super Speed
Blade: Derby Premium (6)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: LMHC Somali Rose
AS: Clubman

Shave number 6 on the Derby Premium today. Still going stronk! Had to switch the razor out of boredom. I was able to pull a DFS+, but did snag a weeper. I think that was more me adjusting to the razor change and not really anything to do with the blade.

Back