The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

Shave 27/OBF 10
20200211_041425.jpg

Its getting more difficult to load a brush. The blade is still doing great. I decided it was time to move the soap to my bowl for the remaining shaves which may be fewer than I'd thought.
20200211_050532.jpg

Shave #9 with the Wilkie went well. Switched over to my Gamechanger .84 today - I wanted to take a test run with it before going away tomorrow on a business trip for a couple of days. (Driving so I don't need to deal with TSA on this one.)

Shave #11 today with the Treet Black and it is still giving great shaves. I switched to the Rockwell 6C a few days ago and it is working well. The blade is giving two pass near BBS shaves with some towel and palm stropping after the shave. I think this carbon steel blade is going to go the entire month.

Razor: Black Handle SS (needs a nickname)
Blade: Derby Premium (11)
Brush: Eveready Mystery Badger
Soap: CBL Tobacco & Caramel
AS: Stetson Cooling

Shave number 11 with the Derby Premiuim. Still going strong, but I am noticing a marked decline in the closeness of my shaves. I’ll keep pushing though, because the shaves are still pretty comfortable. No tugging or anything, and no irritation or razor burn.

Also totally forgot that I didn’t update my journal or post here yesterday, which was shave #10. Same setup except I used Stirling Sharp Dressed Man. That shave was noticeably closer than today’s.

I might get crazy, take a page out of @bobmsp’s book, and load up the GC tomorrow...if I remember. We’ll see.

So far 9 shaves (2 passes work for me) as I tend to take off either Saturdays or Sundays. The Personna Red is holding up just fine with no significant nicks or any drag appreciated. I did change from a 3 piece razor (Wolfman) to an adjustable (Gibbs) just for variety and will likely change twice more (nearly weekly) before the end of the month.

I shave everyday, so I had shave #11 with my Feather pro super blade. It’s starting to tug and I’m going to try to strop it. Let’s see what happens. I’m also finishing up with the soap sample box that is getting passed around, so I haven’t consistently used my go-to super slick soaps yet. I’m sure that hasn’t helped.

Shave 28/OBF 11
20200212_041458.jpg

Probably just a few shaves left with the Insurgent. Many more withered the shark. Seems I was in a green mood today.

F7584D0E-9A7B-4D6A-B492-4A2CE68B45B1.jpeg

I ended up swapping razors after I took the pic:

Razor: RR GC .84p
Blade: Derby Premium (12)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: Dragonsbeard Ethos
AS: Dragonsbeard Ethos

Shave number 12 on the Derby Premium. Today I switched over to the Game Changer and was able to get a much closer and long lasting shave. I would say at this point I would normally be ok with changing blades based on the quality of the shave, but at the same time I’m ok with continuing to push it. It’s not unbearable yet lol.

Day 12 on my Gillette Guard and I am getting close to where I have never gone before on one blade (16 days). It is still going strong. am finally back home and so have access to non essentials such as shave balm and alum. We will see if those help for the rest of the month.

Shave 6 tonight (Gillette 7 o'clock Black)

Long night, so this is going to be quick. Used my GC 68 with the new Zingari Man soap. Great smell, good performance, nice post shave feel.

Blade was a bit rough. At four somewhat painful passes, got a good shave still. Hope it will fix itself. Don't want to fail at my usual 'Max' of seven shaves. Fingers crossed. [emoji1696]

Shave 11. Felt a bit rough, but I haven’t used the Krona in quite some time. On to the next razor tomorrow as this has turned into a tour of my DEs in the cabinet.

9F142D00-2DF6-4642-9008-B122767CF0FE.jpeg

Ok. That did not work. Stropping the professional super blade in the feather SS AC destroyed the edge. I assume the raised bump along the end of the SS would not let me ride the bevel of the blade edge properly. I did use a stiff, thick leathered strop. I have a thin, softer strop I will try next time before I say it won’t work. On to a new blade.

It's not broken. I do have some tears though. It's in one of those silly lace / Velcro splint things. If its not better soon I'm going back.

Nothing silly about that. I've been there. I had a total rupture at the beginning of teaching a class so just had to 'walk it off' Later, the Dr I saw misdiagnosed it, said it was minor, it wasn't. I'm thinking about having it repaired some day.

Back