The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

Three nights straight with my Guard, and it is holding up well. Like I said before, it has lasted me over two weeks before and so I am not expecting any lack of performance just yet. I been keeping the strategy of using my slick soaps and going with two passes. right now the two passes are still getting me something pass DFS and not quite BBS. Tonight I put the cartridge on a different handle just for fun and used my GD Maleki soap.

View attachment 16389
What kind of handle is that?

Shave number 4 this morning and the feather professional super blade is now in its sweet spot. The rest of the week’s shaves will be great. After that I have no idea. I have always changed out the blade when the performance declines.

Shave 2 today on the GEM Personna. Much better results today. Its amazing what not being lazy will do for you. Using the push button though reminds me why I don't use it more. The balance is off. It is too top heavy for my liking. I will probably use it a few more times them switch back to my Shovelhead.

Shave 3 in the books. I didn't shave yesterday and the Gillette Yellow had no problem mowing down two days of growth. I usually push blades well into the teens, so this one still seems quite sharp. I also haven't use the SS Timeless in a while and I forgot how heavy it is!

Shave 20/OBF 3
20200204_041510.jpg

Great shave this morning and finished off with with some Brut! Its been a while since I've used this but I'm not sure why.

The handle is a standard handle turned by a friend. the Guard head is the mod where I cut of the handle and set a 5mm bolt in the recess so it can take any standard DE handle.
Stepping up the class on a cheap razor!

Early shave tonight as I am getting my shaving kit packed up. There was a reason why I chose the Gillette Guard as my one blade for the month - I will be flying out to Hawaii tomorrow for a week and didn't want to go through any additional searches by TSA. This is my usual travel shaving set up - Gillette Guard, Stone Cottage sample size shaving cream, and Omega S-brush. The Guard will last me past two weeks, the Stone Cottage shaving cream is really a soft soap and I use it by scooping it on my fingers and smear it on my face (working it in against the grain), and face lather with the S-brush which has a high loft. The brush also dries in a couple of hours. Great near BBS every time.(y)

DSC03051.JPG

Razor: Yuma
Blade: Derby Premium (4)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: CBL Tonsorial Roasted Oatmeal Stout
AS: Stirling Gentleman

Shave number 4 on the Derby Premium and it's still going strong. I was going to switch up the razor today, but decided I'm going to ride that out as long as I can. It's a super comfortable combo, and I'm getting DFS+ and BBS shaves with it. I just feel like during the shave I'm not getting as close as I should be. I don't know, it just feels weird but ends up good so I'm sticking with it!

I most definitely have not, and AM NOT, committed to participate in this challenge but I can say that I have only shaved twice this month and both times were with the same Kai blade in my wonderful Razorline (feather SS clone). I have been enjoying this razor quite a lot but this is the first I’ve tried this particular variety of blade. So...in the immortal words of the dread pirate Roberts, “...nice shave Kai blade, sleep well, I’ll most likely shave with something else in the morning”

I considered going all in with a DE blade because I have a couple different vintage DE hones and a couple old Kriss Kross stroppers I wanted to use. ...alas, I haven’t the stones to stick it out that long.

Shave #2 with the 7 o'clock Black. Same razor, the RR Gamechanger 68. As expected, the blade did great.

Today I used CBL Premium Smokey Mountain Cedar. Love this scent, and the premium base is just awesome. Great protection, with outstanding post shave feel.

Post shave I wiped the blade down, stropping it on my pants, and flipped it over in the Razor.

Still well with the realm of my normal routine. I'm hoping this proactive stropping and flipping will make it easier to stretch the razor beyond my usual. [emoji846]

Back