The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

Today was shave #19 on the Treet Black carbon steel. It was really efficient, but it was a little rough leaving me with some lasting irritation.

This was the first shave after honing it on one of my Goodrich DE hones. I am fairly certain that I stropped the blade after honing, but it was still rough. Hopefully it will be smoother tomorrow. The upside is that I think, with some practice, honing carbon steel DE blades could be a thing.

This blade will definitely get me to the end of the month.

Shave #16 on the Wilkie: Last night I used my punch on the blade to allow me to use it in my Gibbs. Setting was N + 0.5. A little rougher than it has been, but I don't know whether that's a result of the blade or the razor. I may turn it back down to N tomorrow. (Soap and preshave were the same as before, so it is likely either the razor or the blade.)

Razor: Yuma
Blade: Derby Premium (19)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout-Tonsorial
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue Sport

Razor: Yuma

Blade: Derby Premium (20)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: CBL Oud Minerale
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue Sport

20 shaves with the Derby Premium. This baby’s going the distance! 2 days with the Yuma was able to calm my face down from the Fatboy irritation the other day. I need to dedicate some time to working on finding a good angle with the Fatboy.

The Derby Premium is really surprising me with how well it’s still shaving. No signs of quit in it yet.

OBF 17

20200220_195152.jpg

IMG_20200219_115224901~2.jpg
This was my shave on Wednesday. Sorry this is so late! But at least I have pics, lol.

The soap is, I believe, glycerin based, performance was awesome. Only the second time I used it. Was the first use on the brush. Also very nice. Both were PIF'd to me. As was the blade! Which was it's 14th use, tho this was only my 4th shave shave this month.

I'm about to go shave right now, with my old Marvy shedding wonder that I haven't rinsed since July, I think it was.

Wish me luck with shave number 15 on that Silver Star!

Dave

@GearNoir I"m impressed you are still going with the feather! I know it's possible, I used a single blade for months. But for most people they seem to be a blade with low longevity.

@GearNoir I"m impressed you are still going with the feather! I know it's possible, I used a single blade for months. But for most people they seem to be a blade with low longevity.
It’s doing a decent job for sure! I actually did not enjoy the first few shaves, it was way too sharp. I’m surprised it’s held up though given the “knock over” incident that did who knows what to it.

We’ll see how it travels; I am trying the Altoid tin thing with my Tech. I did disassemble the razor and head to wipe it down, but put the blade back in and put the assembled head into the tin alongside the handle and some bubble wrap.

IMG_20200221_151344630.jpg Before.IMG_20200221_152515291.jpg During.IMG_20200221_152453406~2.jpg After.
Finished shave number 5 for the month.
I stropped the blade a tiny bit on my jeans.
Was a really nice DFS. One pass with some touch ups. The soap was whatever is stuck in the bottom and sides of the bowl. Look at the pictures and notice the bristles. My experiment is driving me nuts, lol. I think I'm shaving more bristles than whiskers!

Shave 21 tonight. WTG pass is now starting to go downhill and so I pulled out the CBL shave oil that Chris gave me a while back when I did a shave oil challenge and used it under my chin area to see if it would help with the shave. It actually got that area close enough to be a near BBS again and so beginning Sunday, I will be using shave oil to put my Guard over the finish line. I also have a little left over from the batch of shave oil I made for the previous challenge and so will be using up the rest of that first. I see the finish line now.....

Shave 21 tonight. WTG pass is now starting to go downhill and so I pulled out the CBL shave oil that Chris gave me a while back when I did a shave oil challenge and used it under my chin area to see if it would help with the shave. It actually got that area close enough to be a near BBS again and so beginning Sunday, I will be using shave oil to put my Guard over the finish line. I also have a little left over from the batch of shave oil I made for the previous challenge and so will be using up the rest of that first. I see the finish line now.....
Great idea, I will dig out my pre shave oil to see if that will help on #20.

So it seems that the Wilkie and my Gibbs don't seem to get along. (Or at least I didn't seat the blade correctly in the Gibbs.) Today's shave with the Wilkie (#18) seemed pretty good. 3 passes in my Charcoal Goods Level 3. It's not as sharp as it was before, but it definitely was sharp enough and very smooth still. Today was my first try of CBL soaps (Roasted Oatmeal Stout) - very nice. I imagine that the blade will make it through the end of the month, given that it'll probably only have 5 or 6 more uses.

Back