The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

17 shaves in on the Treet Black carbon blade. It is still going strong. I am still towel and palm stropping it.

Yesterday I had a bit of a mishap with the blade, but I was able to recover. There is a heating vent in the floor just in front of my sink in the bathroom. I dropped the blade into it. Luckily it didn't slide down far and I was able to pull it out, clean it with some soap, and disinfect it in some isopropyl alcohol. Normally I would have binned the blade and started a new one, but I am dedicated to sticking with this one blade for the month.

Shave 18 with the Guard. Still doing a great WTG pass, but starting to struggle getting a clean ATG pass. Because it is a cart and pivots, I am able to apply a little more pressure to the ATG pass. Still coming out with a solid DFS. The days of near BBS is long gone now.Still, I am looking to complete February and 30 days.

Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Derby Premium (18)
Brush: The Tech Hive Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
AS. Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
7BF41D66-ECCC-4D2F-9985-5497F5AB8453.jpeg
So I decided to break out the Fatboy this morning and crank it up to....5. It did not treat me good. I walked away BBS but at the cost of a lot of burn and some redness. I don’t think it had much to do with the blade since yesterday showed no signs of any issues. Tomorrow I’ll be going back to the Yuma to give my fave a rest.

Shave 10

Today's shave was quite inefficient. It was dragging, tugging, and a bit painful. I still felt stubble after 4 passes, as well as a dry pass 30 minutes later. So, I pulled the blade from the razor and ran my finger over it. I'm sure I was pressing quite light. However, I still feel like I should have cut skin... I didn't.

Feel like I'm failing here, but I had to bin it and start a (almost) new blade. It has 3 shaves in, so I'll be doing "Blade 2: Shave Four" with it on Friday.

Shave 10

Today's shave was quite inefficient. It was dragging, tugging, and a bit painful. I still felt stubble after 4 passes, as well as a dry pass 30 minutes later. So, I pulled the blade from the razor and ran my finger over it. I'm sure I was pressing quite light. However, I still feel like I should have cut skin... I didn't.

Feel like I'm failing here, but I had to bin it and start a (almost) new blade. It has 3 shaves in, so I'll be doing "Blade 2: Shave Four" with it on Friday.
No failures here...ya gave it a go!

IMG_8057.jpeg

Sorry I haven't been counting. I do so much tracking for training that I don't like to do it for shaving.

I'm still going strong with the 7 O'Clock Yellow, in fact the shaves seem to be getting better over time.
I hadn't used the Yellows in a long time, having passed them by for other blades that I started to enjoy more. After the first week that was rough in the Old Type and RFB, they have been giving me some of the best shaves I've had period.

I've been almost exclusively using them with an Old Type and a shim now. There's something about the Old Type that just suits me, the very light weight, and thin head feels very nimble. Without a shim it's just too mild, but with it's perfect.

The shaves haven't been any more or less tuggy than when the blade was new, but they can feel a bit scrappy if that makes sense. The thing is, that the beard is growing back much later than normal for me, and when it does come back in, it's not poking my skin, which is one of the big reasons I shave daily in the first place. So this is been a total win for me.

There's something about the Old Type that just suits me, the very light weight, and thin head feels very nimble. Without a shim it's just too mild, but with it's perfect.
See @Dave in KY , I'm not the only one who thinks an Old Type is mild.......

See @Dave in KY , I'm not the only one who thinks an Old Type is mild.......
Never said that they can't be considered "Mild" Just always surprises me that it's mild to YOU and then another razor I feel is "Mild" compared to them and you say is aggressive. It's your application of it being mild in comparison to what you label others. Hope that clarifies ;)

Back