The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

I'm going to have to make some more cheese stuffed bacon wrapped dates. I made them for Thanksgiving (or was it Xmas) and there wasn't a single one left. And that includes the entire tray of them that I burnt. People insisted on eating them anyway. I got the recipe after having them at a favorite restaurant. The dates are stuffed with cabrales cheese, wrapped in some bacon and then drizzled with honey after being cooked. Absolutely spectacular.

Okay...seriously...you have to share a recipe! That sounds absolutely AMAZING!!!

Gourmet burgers wagyu chuck blended with bacon and cheddar cheese in the middle

View attachment 3865

I know you cooked/grilled it...but that is more like a steak than a burger. I might have eaten that raw!

Deep fried chicken burrito
View attachment 4121

Isn't that just a Chimichanga?

Okay...seriously...you have to share a recipe! That sounds absolutely AMAZING!!!

Ok. Here you go. And yes, they are amazing.

Ingredients:

Medjool Dates, slit open and pits removed
Sliced Bacon 1/2 slice per date (I recommend only enough bacon to wrap the date once with just enough overlap to keep the bacon wrapped around the date)
Cabrales Cheese (Spanish blue cheese or similar)
Honey

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stuff the dates with the Cabrales cheese. Wrap each date with bacon, and if necessary secure with a toothpick. (I found I did not need the toothpick). Line each on a baking sheet with the edge side down. Bake in oven for 8 to 12 minutes. (Keep an eye on them as they can burn easily.) Place dates on paper towel to absorb excess fat. Move to serving dish and drizzle with honey. Serve within 5 to 10 minutes while still warm.

Ok. Here you go. And yes, they are amazing.

Ingredients:

Medjool Dates, slit open and pits removed
Sliced Bacon 1/2 slice per date (I recommend only enough bacon to wrap the date once with just enough overlap to keep the bacon wrapped around the date)
Cabrales Cheese (Spanish blue cheese or similar)
Honey

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stuff the dates with the Cabrales cheese. Wrap each date with bacon, and if necessary secure with a toothpick. (I found I did not need the toothpick). Line each on a baking sheet with the edge side down. Bake in oven for 8 to 12 minutes. (Keep an eye on them as they can burn easily.) Place dates on paper towel to absorb excess fat. Move to serving dish and drizzle with honey. Serve within 5 to 10 minutes while still warm.
WOW! Super easy too it seems. These might be a little delicate...but I will ask anyway...have you tried these on a grill? Also, do you use a thicker cut bacon or a thinner cut? I am mostly picky about my bacon and try to get a better quality. There is a local butcher that sells their own at the farmer's market...it is on the thicker side of things. Anyway...I will definietly be giving this a try. Sounds like the perfect summer appetizer!

WOW! Super easy too it seems. These might be a little delicate...but I will ask anyway...have you tried these on a grill? Also, do you use a thicker cut bacon or a thinner cut? I am mostly picky about my bacon and try to get a better quality. There is a local butcher that sells their own at the farmer's market...it is on the thicker side of things. Anyway...I will definietly be giving this a try. Sounds like the perfect summer appetizer!

I wouldn't suggest doing them on the grill. My concern would be that they end up sticking to the grates of the grill, resulting in the bacon staying behind. And so far I've only made them once but I used regular Oscar Mayer bacon. I'd suggest thin cut bacon as the thick cut would be more difficult to wrap and the larger amount of bacon could overpower the dates and cheese. I found the single layer of bacon to be a nice mesh with the cheese and date and honey. I did double wrap some of the dates on my first attempt and found the extra bacon to be a little too much. And it is possible to overstuff the dates. Don't mash too much cheese in there for the same reason. You want a nice balance among the ingredients. But I'll bet you can do better than Oscar Mayer.

I wouldn't suggest doing them on the grill. My concern would be that they end up sticking to the grates of the grill, resulting in the bacon staying behind. And so far I've only made them once but I used regular Oscar Mayer bacon. I'd suggest thin cut bacon as the thick cut would be more difficult to wrap and the larger amount of bacon could overpower the dates and cheese. I found the single layer of bacon to be a nice mesh with the cheese and date and honey. I did double wrap some of the dates on my first attempt and found the extra bacon to be a little too much. And it is possible to overstuff the dates. Don't mash too much cheese in there for the same reason. You want a nice balance among the ingredients. But I'll bet you can do better than Oscar Mayer.
Definitely sounds like a winner! Thanks for the suggestions!

I should add that if any of you live in NJ and get to Jersey City on occasion, I can highly recommend having drinks at the bar or dinner at Satis Bistro. This is the place that got me hooked on those amazing cheese stuffed bacon wrapped dates.

Some good looking food being posted here.

I'm a bit of a foodie myself. So I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread and look forward to posting some of my own pics.

Tonight I’m grilling Ribeyes, NY Strips, PorkChops, Italian Sausages, and Portobello caps for us to have for leftovers this week. The Missus is cooking an Eggplant, a couple squash, and a couple Zucchini inside the kitchen!
Can I come over?

Back