The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What is New to You...... SPEAKEASY EDITION

With the warm weather upon us, I found myself reaching for rum for the first time this season on Saturday. Not sure if anyone has taken a trip down the rum rabbit hole, but in my opinion there is some extraordinary value in many rums if you're interested in doing more than just tiki drinks. (paging @NurseDave in case you need a new one to dive down!)

And on my Sunday stop at our local liquor chain, I happened across something I'm very excited about: a variety of Hampden Rum offerings! Hampden is a Jamaican rum distillery known for their very funky "hogo" rums. For those who haven't tried a hogo rum, I've used the analogy that hogo rum vs a more traditional rum is like Islay scotch vs non-Islay. It's super pungent, typically polarizing, and I LOVE it. The offerings from Hampden here in the US, though, was limited at best, with their overproofed Rum Fire the most common one. The distillate was often sourced by independents like Velier but you had to visit the distillery on-island to get anything else.

Now, LM&V is distributing Hampden under its own name. And I'm ecstatic. Cannot wait to break open this bottle of 46% after work.

978998.jpg

With the warm weather upon us, I found myself reaching for rum for the first time this season on Saturday. Not sure if anyone has taken a trip down the rum rabbit hole, but in my opinion there is some extraordinary value in many rums if you're interested in doing more than just tiki drinks. (paging @NurseDave in case you need a new one to dive down!)

And on my Sunday stop at our local liquor chain, I happened across something I'm very excited about: a variety of Hampden Rum offerings! Hampden is a Jamaican rum distillery known for their very funky "hogo" rums. For those who haven't tried a hogo rum, I've used the analogy that hogo rum vs a more traditional rum is like Islay scotch vs non-Islay. It's super pungent, typically polarizing, and I LOVE it. The offerings from Hampden here in the US, though, was limited at best, with their overproofed Rum Fire the most common one. The distillate was often sourced by independents like Velier but you had to visit the distillery on-island to get anything else.

Now, LM&V is distributing Hampden under its own name. And I'm ecstatic. Cannot wait to break open this bottle of 46% after work.

978998.jpg
Ha! Thanks for making sure I have enough obsessions! I've only focused on 2 rums before. I used Zaya 12-year exclusively for my run and cokes because it added a nice vanilla and spice taste. But Gear made it clear it wasn't any good strait and Don turned his head at me using it as a mixer. The other is Ron del Barrilito 3-star. I bought for sipping, but remember it being much tastier in a bar in Tahoe after a few rum and cokes ;)

978998.jpg
Oh I love rum! I will be looking forward to trying to find that one!

For a very long time only Cuban rums as we Canadians could travel to Cuba without restriction so I would bring back Santiago de Cuba etc. My favorite Cuban Rum cannot normally be found outside of Cuba and its called "Caney"...just brilliant. I normally have a bottle or two of Appleton Estate 8 and 12 in the bar. Also have a Mount Gay Eclipse Heritage Blend which fits the bill for just about everything you need rum for in cocktails. I have had many rums from many different places...in short, it is a huge rabbit hole but there is nothing finer than a quiet, warm night with a glass of Caney 12 at the end of your arm and a robusto at the end of the other.

Looks like the 2020 is $150 at my local mega chain here in Chicagoland. With the tariff price increases across Scotch in the US and the standard Laga 16 up to $100 here, an extra $50 for cask strength seems reasonable.

Of those two the Longbranch is my favorite. The Woodford Rye is drinkable, but I wish it packed more of a punch.
I really enjoy longbranch and it was on sale so grabbed a bottle. The Rye is a gift for my dad's birthday. Woodford is my dad's favorite and I've never seen the Rye version in Utah.

I really enjoy longbranch and it was on sale so grabbed a bottle. The Rye is a gift for my dad's birthday. Woodford is my dad's favorite and I've never seen the Rye version in Utah.
It is a good pickup. But it is a lighter style of rye. Just like Woodford does with their bourbons. You dad will probably love it.

It is a good pickup. But it is a lighter style of rye. Just like Woodford does with their bourbons. You dad will probably love it.
Good to know have you tried the Tin Cup Rye? I know it's not a bourbon but it was a really good rye. In fact I might have glass of that tonight!

Back