The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Parfum d'Empire - Vetiver Bourbon
The rootiest of vetivers. Iris here is used to great effect to add the overall earthy, rooty feeling of the vetiver. There's also a sort of carrot/tomato note that hovers in there again just giving that outdoor earthy vibe.
Of course it that's all it was I could probably just rub some dirt on myself and call it a day, but in spite of the description it's a very elegant an gentlemanly concoction. For lovers of vetiver, it could even be considered a masterpiece.

Parfum d'Empire Vetiver Bourbon.jpg

Papillon - Dryad
Perfect rendition of an old school green chypre. Fans of fragrances like Aramis will fall over smelling this. It's everything you wished modern Aramis was, of course at a modern niche price, but so worth it. I'm totally blown away wearing this today.
It's strange in that it really is like Aramis to my nose, but it's so much more alive, vibrant, that I can't really compare them. I don't mind my bottle of Armais, though I got it more just for the reference, but this, this could well become a signature scent it's that good, that wearable.
How it manages to be so wearable is what's really amazing. I feel like a fuddy-duddy wearing Aramis, but this, I just feel chic and cool. Love it!

Papillon Dryad.jpg

Roberto Greco - Rauque
Rauque is one of the more special fragrances in my collection. Greco is a photographer with a few well regarded fragrances. Rauque was a limited release, and started getting a lot of hype from people I follow, I didn't want to jump on the train, but there were a couple of reviews that wound up putting me over the top. But of course by then it was virtually impossible to find.
I actually did find it at Jove though I'd looked there before, but due to the cost I couldn't decide. Of course by the time I did it was already gone. Then by chance I stumbled on it from an online holistic pharmacy in Italy. One bottle, and a sketchy website!
Well glad I took the risk as this stuff is amazing. Definitely art meets fragrance in the best way possible. Being a person who likes naturalistic perfumes this is a stunner. I'd describe it as a grassy green hay scent. The greens are vibrant and piercing, but not super vegetal. Probably due to the narcissus. There's a mushroom note but it's more of a background thing, an almost aromatic mustiness, which leads to the hay notes.
For me it's like a greener Pierre Guillaume Arabian Horse, without the horse.
Anyway really great stuff, and one that I've needed to wear a few times to start to appreciate.
One thing that didn't take any time to fully appreciate though is that bottle, what a stunner! No doubt why it's a limited release too!

Roberto Greco Rauque.jpg

AM: Pierre Guillaume La Nymphe and Le Poete
Saturday afternoon ballet class, in sauna like conditions. This is so sheer that it's perfect and unobtrusive. Light musky rose with a small dollop of sweetness.

Pierre guillaume - La Nymphe & Le Poete.jpg

PM:
The last couple of evenings I've been testing some sandalwood scents.
Last night was Perris Monte Carlo Santal du Pacific
A very interesting light warm weather take on the note. It wears almost like a very sheer vetiver, though it's clearly the Australian sandalwood that's the backbone. Thinking on doing this for the summer. It's so unique and yet clearly sandalwood, that it's very compelling.

Tonight it's Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Santal Noble
Almost the polar opposite, this is far heavier and very dark in feel. No doubt it's good but I'll have to circle back to it next fall. This apparently uses a coffee note to great effect give this sandalwood an almost oud feeling.

Back