The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Frederic Malle - Monsieur
I have a 2023 batch, picked up on a local BST, and without doubt it's half as potent as it used to be, which I can live with, but what made it magic for me is also gone. It's still nice, and far more wearable for everyday, but this is one reform that really gets to me. And what's happened to the house in general.

Thankfully I still have a good deal of an older and more virile 10 ml bottle, which I'll save for special occasions. Two sprays max with that, so 10 ml will last.

At Malle prices, it's painful to say, but steer clear. A lot of niche houses are really just starting to 'take the Micky' at this point. Unpopular opinion, I know.

Mancera - Hindu Cush
On the other hand the everyman's niche house once again comes through for me. I only have a few Mancera's but they always make me feel good to use.

Used this PAA Oud Spice aftershave for my Dovo Shavette shave tonight. Thought that new Shavette was gonna become my nemesis, but nope. Got it figured out. Have the PAA Atomic Atomizer on the bottle. Works pretty well. Supposedly will use less aftershave but still have same strength and scent longevity with that mixing air in with it. We'll find out I guess. All around great shave.
20240303_191001.jpg

Pierre Guillaume - Indochine

A very cool take on a woody fragrance, benzoin, honey, cardamon and milk form the structure and an oud like note sits in the back. If you go with the name you can imagine being in SE Asia on a hot humid day. Incense burns, and you have a chilled Thai Ice tea.
Another great one from PG.

1709668233926.png

Pierre Guillaume - Lune d'Eau
Wearing this today, I really got the masculine side of it. A chic gentleman, walking along the shore on a clear moonlight night. Lavender, and amris, which gives a citrusy pine effect, but very much in the background, and a mineral accord that gives that moonlight shimmer.
One of the house's best masculines, and it seems very seasonally versatile. In the depth of winter the icy nature fit, but the cheerfulness of the lavender still lifted my spirits. Now as there's a touch of spring in the air (even if the thermometer says -1°C) it felt just as appropriate, let's see what it says as it gets warmer. :)

Pierre Guillaume Lune d'Eau.jpg

Back