The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Heeley - Eau Sacree

I've been waiting for the right day to test this one, and today was the day. As the name suggests, it's a liturgical incense, the type of smell that evokes the feeling of being in a Catholic Church (or any old sacred space).
Comme des Garçons Avignon is generally considered the go to in this category, and Heeley's Cardinal is right behind, to me smelling very similar, but with that characteristic Heeley simple open feeling. For me, both feel a little too literally like the smoke from a thurible, while not evoking the smell of the space itself as much. My favorites tend to smell more like the actual space, e.g. Oriza L Legrand Reve de Ossian.
Heeley's 2nd entry to the field ranges this wonderfully as well, there's a touch of rose to give the sense of flowers in the space, and a heavy dose of pine that has you seated in ancient well work pews.
This might be my favorite of the genre, as I love the smell of pine and incense, and the pine keeps shining here, while never feeling cheaply rustic or cliche.

DSC00698.jpg

Carner - Drakon
Got a good deal on this, and glad I did. Lovely green hued boot leather. Everything I've tried from Carner has been great, and with a unique touch, that I romantically want to read as Spanish.
Imagine a non--drug store, high quality Aramis that went to the bull fights. This stuff radiates machismo!

DSC00709.jpg

Last edited:
Carner Barcelona - Megalium

Another winner from Carner. I'm on a bit of an incense kick this winter, and obviously Carner kick too. I was really smitten by Botafumeiro, an excellent ambery incense. Megalium, from the same series, combines incense, and cinnamon, to give an incredible churchy vibe which is very wearable and totally captivating. Carner's seem to be a bit close wearing rather than projecting beasts (other than Drakon, which is as much of a monster as it's namesake) and Megalium very quickly goes to a skin scent. At least one review I've read from a long time owner says it does open up after having it for a while, so I'm hoping that's the case here, but tbh I don't care much. It's such a wonderful scent anyway, and not a big deal to me if I want to reapply later.
Gear, this is totally worth checking out if. you come across it, one of the better of it's kind I've tried, and extremely natural smelling.

DSC00711.jpg

A modern twist on a classic masculine scent, Vetiver. Take a bit of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver edt and throw in a touch of JV Artisan OG and this is what you get. A bit more citrus up top with a slight 7-Up type fizz that melds into a clean & fresh Vetiver scent. Very contemporary while still having some classic vibes to the composition. Great juice for dirt cheap usually around $35US or less for 4.2oz. A steal of a bargain....

IMG_20231203_072705921.jpg

Francesca Bianchi - Sticky Fingers
Opens with a rough, skanky, cigar box type of patchouli, reminding me of an even more butch Villoresi Patchouli. The dry down goes in a totally different direction, with a gentlemanly iris.

Nice stuff, and glad it's in the 100 ml format now, and got a great deal on it over Black Friday. It was one of the standouts for me on our sniff trip to Tallinn, so glad I went for it. I didn't get the iris note when I sampled it, but then my nose was totally blown out. But that rich patchouli was strong enough to really stand out, patchouli lovers only for this. The name gets it, sticky, dark and resinous.

Apparently Bianchi uses a similar base in most of her fragrances, so if you like iris, there well be one here for you. This has been a big iris year for me, it didn't appeal to me in the past, due to it's lipstick connotations, but done right, it does really hit that 'gentleman' spot, and here it is done right, at least in my opinion. Perfect for a cool or cold day or evening.

Francesca Bianchi Sticky Fingers.jpg

Last edited:
Back