The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Crisp, Floral (Violet), clean with a touch of woody warmth. Dior Fahrenheit turned into Royalty. Similar when first sprayed but, not close to Fahrenheit as Portrayal Man goes on a different fragrance journey. More opulent yet so smooth. Gorgeous stuff..... (y)

IMG_20230919_063758849_HDR.jpg

Czech & Speake Cuba
Wow, this was a great wear. Essentially a niche barbershop, it always smells well blended and sophisticated, nothing rough here, even in the one challenging bit.
Opens a bit herbal from the bay, soon the tobacco kicks in, but it doesn't really come off as tobacco, rather almost a bit medical and rubbery. My understanding is that certain real tobacco extracts smell this way. It really reminds me a lot of Parfum d'Empire's Tabac Taboo here. At some point the tonka starts to come in, and it seems to create a bit of a barnyard accord, but for me it only lasted a little while, and only as an undertone. I'm quite sensitive to that particular accord. Miller Harris' L'Air de Rien has it as well, and it can be an overwhelming. Not so here, though many reviewers mention it about the old EdT, I think it must have been (thankfully) tamed in the newer EdP.
At the same time I'm getting massive vibes of Pascal Morabito OR Black (or even dare I say Rive Gauche pH) in this phase. As that passes, you're left with a very well done, and very classic tonka type barbershop that sits quietly and lasts hours.
Again here I'm not sure what reviewers are on about, this lasts 10 + hours, but it's not meant to be a room clearing beast. It sits just right, and I could smell it through the entire wear, even when I was out and about.

Recommended to fans of barbershop fragrances. This is my first and only try of anything from the house, and now am wondering about their other classics like No. 88. If anyone has tried any and has thoughts, let me know!

Czech & Speake Cuba.jpg

Czech & Speake Cuba
Wow, this was a great wear. Essentially a niche barbershop, it always smells well blended and sophisticated, nothing rough here, even in the one challenging bit.
Opens a bit herbal from the bay, soon the tobacco kicks in, but it doesn't really come off as tobacco, rather almost a bit medical and rubbery. My understanding is that certain real tobacco extracts smell this way. It really reminds me a lot of Parfum d'Empire's Tabac Taboo here. At some point the tonka starts to come in, and it seems to create a bit of a barnyard accord, but for me it only lasted a little while, and only as an undertone. I'm quite sensitive to that particular accord. Miller Harris' L'Air de Rien has it as well, and it can be an overwhelming. Not so here, though many reviewers mention it about the old EdT, I think it must have been (thankfully) tamed in the newer EdP.
At the same time I'm getting massive vibes of Pascal Morabito OR Black (or even dare I say Rive Gauche pH) in this phase. As that passes, you're left with a very well done, and very classic tonka type barbershop that sits quietly and lasts hours.
Again here I'm not sure what reviewers are on about, this lasts 10 + hours, but it's not meant to be a room clearing beast. It sits just right, and I could smell it through the entire wear, even when I was out and about.

Recommended to fans of barbershop fragrances. This is my first and only try of anything from the house, and now am wondering about their other classics like No. 88. If anyone has tried any and has thoughts, let me know!

View attachment 119506
No.88 (along with Cuba) is always going be a "must have" for me. A wonderful dark rose frag that has almost "vampiric" overtones. Dark and sensual, this one has "beast mode" level projection and sillage. A wonderful Gothic rose scent with woody and green undertones. Oxford & Cambridge is a winner as well. A very nice gentleman's lavender frag.

No.88 (along with Cuba) is always going be a "must have" for me. A wonderful dark rose frag that has almost "vampiric" overtones. Dark and sensual, this one has "beast mode" level projection and sillage. A wonderful Gothic rose scent with woody and green undertones. Oxford & Cambridge is a winner as well. A very nice gentleman's lavender frag.
Thanks Mark, I guess I need to check those out :)

Back