The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

giphy-downsized.gif

7f853b40-8863-4237-8572-c3b769629859_text.gif

This one is definitely an odd one. 🤔
Using this for me has actually brought meaning to the old term "A love-hate relationship" there is something about the scent that I find offensive yet irresistible.
I have had the full set (soap, splash, lotion, and edt) coming up on a year.
As far as ladies are concerned, I have found that women over 50 find the scent appalling while women under 40 find it appealing.
View attachment 109991
That's the kind of review I want to reply to but know I shouldn't.....

Maria Candida Gentile - Finisterre
First sampling from the house, this is a really wonderful aquatic scent. I'm generally not a big fan of the genre, but this gets it right. Sea and green pine notes, fresh, but with that salty sea air in the background, fresh without being cliche.
I do see parallels between this and the only other aquatic in my collection Ammare though this forgoes the barbershop, and is more about the sea breeze on a pine lined cliff edge.

IMG_0924.jpeg

2nd from the massive sample haul from the house. This is the fragrance that got me interested, and not at all what I expected.
I was waiting for a green field, but the open is more an anise herbal aroma. Which works well with the parade of leathers that follow.
I get Tom of Finland, Le Galion Cuir, and Mancera Saharian Wind. All with just enough of a hint of the original herbalness.
Another terrific scent, maybe not as easy for most as Finisterre. But I like leather, and this is super wearable.

Both have been just the level of projection I like, i.e. close wearing. And they've lasted. In fact I could still smell Finisterre when I woke up this morning. And I'll say that the deep dry down really puts this a cut above for me. Often aquatics and start to go into a cheap direction towards the end, but if anything this was even better. For sure going to consider as a summer freshie.

IMG_0928.jpeg

Classy smelling fragrance yet contemporary vibe. Patchouli, Tobacco, Leather and Oakmoss are staples in a masculine geared scent but, this has just the right amount of green notes with a bitter citrus accord perhaps from the Junior Berrie, that gives it a distinction all its own. Throw in a pinch of Lavender, Basil & Fennel to give it a sweetened aromatic touch that gets lightly spiced by some Cinnamon. The drydown is incredible with a dry fruit and sueded leather accompanied by a pine like tinge. Superb fragrance that is blended extremely well. Performance is not a strong point but, an extra couple of sprays will get one through the day especially on clothing. More for a mature crowd and not much for the younger fragrance group. It still can be found for under $35US at discounters which is a heck of a bargain for the quality & uniqueness this Uber masculine juice brings. A great fragrance to have in one's fragrance collection.

511a8I8TzuL.jpg

Back