The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

I had an original from the first release back in 2014 that I ran through in like 4 months. Had that wonderful slight cacao, leather and coffee vibe going for it with an aromatic & light citrus freshness in the very opening. The cedar at the end really smoothens and tempers the sweetness from the hazelnut. Not as rich or deep as the Intense version but, more lively and much easier to wear nearly all year round. Today's version (no longer owned by Puig) from parent company L' Oreal is not as charming nor potent as far as my scent memory dictates. That's neither here nor there as ultimately the juice still smells quite good with decent performance in the 5-6 hour range and a bit more if I go heavy on the sprayer. I can still pick up light trailing whiffs of it 8-10 hours in but, it's mostly from it lingering on the cloths. It's a great work scent that transitions nicely into after work and evenings out at a nice eatery. Solid frag.

IMG_20230129_110058676_HDR.jpg

I had an original from the first release back in 2014 that I ran through in like 4 months. Had that wonderful slight cacao, leather and coffee vibe going for it with an aromatic & light citrus freshness in the very opening. The cedar at the end really smoothens and tempers the sweetness from the hazelnut. Not as rich or deep as the Intense version but, more lively and much easier to wear nearly all year round. Today's version (no longer owned by Puig) from parent company L' Oreal is not as charming nor potent as far as my scent memory dictates. That's neither here nor there as ultimately the juice still smells quite good with decent performance in the 5-6 hour range and a bit more if I go heavy on the sprayer. I can still pick up light trailing whiffs of it 8-10 hours in but, it's mostly from it lingering on the cloths. It's a great work scent that transitions nicely into after work and evenings out at a nice eatery. Solid frag.

View attachment 103752
You got the Narcisso Rodrigez Blue Noir Parfum right? I've seen a lot of comparisons to this one.

Le Galion - Bourrasque
(From and official sample)
Spicy amber chypre, opening is very perfume-y but the pepper soon comes in and give a classy masculine touch. The Le Galion house oak moss backing lets you know this is a chypre from start to finish.
Le Galion has some really great chypres!

80_143704_3d7913730fb576f24be6d1fffae683b2_270.jpg

Perfect time for this citrus, resinous and myrrh creation that gives a slightly sweetened incense vibe. The kicker though is the patchouli that grounds the whole composition with a warm like earthiness with an amber like tone. Gorgeous for the cold weather days like today. Can't recommend this highly enough if one is into myrrh, patchouli & citrus that ADP is famous for.

IMG_20230201_073252824_HDR.jpg

Lorenzo Villoresi - Theseus
(From official sample)
Another masterpiece from Lorenzo. This may be his magnum opus. It's an absolute journey, almost like a tour of every great masculine. Opens bright and citric, and I get what I can only call the fragrance archetype feeling. like this is the definition of a fragrance, I can't explain it, but I got literal goosebumps a couple of times in the first hour. A leather note comes in, then the nutmeg, in these stages it reminds me of a couple of Oriza L. Legrand fragrances I adore, the vetiver begins to take over, and dominates here, I see why people say Terre d'Hermes as a smells like.
Finally many hours later, and I'm sitting here with a deep, petroleum, skunky musk. Now this is a smell I loved as a teenager and have been looking for, it's here, and a wonderful conclusion to a true tour d'force. Thank you Mr. Villoresi :)

Lorenzo Villoresi - Theseus
(From official sample)
Another masterpiece from Lorenzo. This may be his magnum opus. It's an absolute journey, almost like a tour of every great masculine. Opens bright and citric, and I get what I can only call the fragrance archetype feeling. like this is the definition of a fragrance, I can't explain it, but I got literal goosebumps a couple of times in the first hour. A leather note comes in, then the nutmeg, in these stages it reminds me of a couple of Oriza L. Legrand fragrances I adore, the vetiver begins to take over, and dominates here, I see why people say Terre d'Hermes as a smells like.
Finally many hours later, and I'm sitting here with a deep, petroleum, skunky musk. Now this is a smell I loved as a teenager and have been looking for, it's here, and a wonderful conclusion to a true tour d'force. Thank you Mr. Villoresi :)
A372E6AF-93B8-4553-897D-B2D4D8B205D7.gif

Back