The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

The 20 something one didnt ship to the USA but there are some that come up to about 40 or 45 including shipping that do ship to the USA!!

Ok, well worth the price if you like that kind of fragrance. I thought it was easy to source in the US for some reason, sorry about that.

This is perfection in perfumery creation. It encompasses rhubarb, citrus, rum and mint in the opening. The mint & rhubarb are key players as there is a subtle tartness and coolness to that beginning that plays effortlessly with the floral component in this potion. But, it only gets better from there. Now comes walking in a smooth vetiver that is relaxed and calm with a cedar accord that balances those lingering top notes with a light dose of patchouli that grounds the whole composition beautifully. It's classy yet modern & contemporary. Exquisite just does not do this juice any justice. This is Homme eau de Parfum Intense, not to be confused with Homme eau de Parfum in the long rectangular shaped bottle available today.

Gripe? It was discontinued some time ago and I only get 4-5 hours of this elixirs divine aroma. Regardless, it's pure perfection to my nose.

20220903_065549.jpg

AM: Perris Monte Carlo Vetiver Java
I'm just going to say after really enjoying the heck out of this sample, and that if you love vetiver, check this out. Fabulous stuff, and a sure buy for me when I can.

PM: Gucci Guilty pour Homme EdP
Tart, salty, sour, green goodness!

IMG_0589.jpeg

My middle daughters favorite from Tom Ford. Semi Barbershop like take from the past with a bit of that Barbasol Shave Foam nuance but, with some modern twists and a true lavender top. The rosemary & oakmoss are delicately infused with a mint & basil accord that adds a minty earthiness to this creation. The floral component which I can't define though it states geranium blends smoothly with the patchouli finalizing in an ambery semi sweet finish. This is a scent for a man that is planted firmly in their beliefs that exudes class & sophistication but, not so much that it wouldn't fit right in the backyard barbecue with your favorite shirt, shorts & flip flops taming the smoke and heat with one hand while quenching your thirst with a cold beverage on the other. Simple yet refined. Gorgeous creation but, you have to like the throwbacks of yesteryear to truly understand and enjoy this elixir.

41UOCZ3dRPS.jpg

My middle daughters favorite from Tom Ford. Semi Barbershop like take from the past with a bit of that Barbasol Shave Foam nuance but, with some modern twists and a true lavender top. The rosemary & oakmoss are delicately infused with a mint & basil accord that adds a minty earthiness to this creation. The floral component which I can't define though it states geranium blends smoothly with the patchouli finalizing in an ambery semi sweet finish. This is a scent for a man that is planted firmly in their beliefs that exudes class & sophistication but, not so much that it wouldn't fit right in the backyard barbecue with your favorite shirt, shorts & flip flops taming the smoke and heat with one hand while quenching your thirst with a cold beverage on the other. Simple yet refined. Gorgeous creation but, you have to like the throwbacks of yesteryear to truly understand and enjoy this elixir.

View attachment 92812
Outstanding review.
BTW, speaking of 21st century barbershops, have you tried the new H24 EdP?

AM: Gucci Guilty pour Homme EdP
This one has really grown on me very quickly, there's some interesting stuff going on under the hood. A great modern green.

PM: Narciso Rodriguez for Him EdP
Was just sniffing bottles trying to decide what to try in the evening, and this just jumped right out, I guess it's just been waiting for cooler weather.
Stunningly beautiful floral musk, that still feels like it fits the "for Him" moniker, albeit this is him isn't a wrench monkey.
Lovely stuff!

IMG_0591.jpeg

Outstanding review.
BTW, speaking of 21st century barbershops, have you tried the new H24 EdP?

Thanks amigo….(y)

Caught a sample whiff of it at a local Macy’s over the weekend and I think it’s a true gem from Christine Nigel. Has the dna from the edt but, it’s slightly deeper and more robust with the infusion of oakmoss in the edp. They didn’t have the 100ml size in stock or I would have payed full retail for it right there minus the %15 discount sale code the rep was offering me. I like the edt as it is clean and professional but, the eau de parfum has a real classy yet modern approach that really ticks all the boxes for me.

Dior Homme '20. A different variant from the Dior Homme line that shares practically nothing with its brethren. No Iris or powdery effect that the Original, Intense or Parfum carry in abundance without excluding the vintage creations of Dior Homme. This just exudes a sophisticated woodiness with an infusion of cedar, vetiver & patchouli while still carrying an air of freshness and cleanliness with the subtle citrus notes at the top. This juice gets frowned upon but, it's a very comfortable wearing fragrance that is masculine, simple & elegantly refined. Won't blow your socks off but, it will announce a manly presence with performance & excellent wear ability for anytime or occasion. Relatively cheap too as it has not been a popular seller for Dior & retailers.

IMG_20220906_082434127.jpg

Lorenzo Villoresi -Uomo
One of the great citrus fougeres. Opening is like a very natural cologne, the smell of being there in the orchard, then it morphs into a deep amber fougere that is casual Italian class at it's best. It sits close, but you catch beautiful wafts throughout the day. Just the right amount of projection for any occasion.
This is a desert island scent for me.

IMG_0051.jpeg

Ben Sherman Icon eau de parfum. This is a surprisingly good fragrance. Has a bit of a green note, almost fig like that has Bergamot, pink pepper and cardamom. The middle though has this slightly deep clove & leather vibe with a tinge of tobacco. It gives a slight smokiness to the composition yet still keeps that green note somewhere in the midst. The deep drydown envelopes around cedar, patchouli and a nice amber like note. I'd swear there is some vetiver but, none is listed. Perhaps that vibe comes from that slight green fig like type note that feels like I'm getting a semi sweetened vetiver like accord. It really is a very good fragrance that has surprised me for the very little $$$ outlay as it smells more expensive and refined than the price point it's offered at. If you see one, snatch it up. Totally blind buy worthy in my opinion.

IMG_20220907_061206831.jpg

Parfum d'Empire - Fougere Bengal
Deep, dark, sticky, tobacco, spicy fougere scent. This one really bends the rules of what a fougere is, and yet at the end of a wonderful wearing, it clearly is a barbershop, it's just that the barber is in Calcutta, the air is full of spice, sweets, and hay. Really a magical blend, and perfect for a cool fall day.

Fougere Bengal.jpeg

Back