The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

La Martina - Cuero

375x500.36349.jpg

I got a sample of this ages ago, and just re-discovered it as I was doing a little organizing in my Frag Drawer.
I was thinking of using Histories de Parfums - 1899 for a change of pace, but saw this sitting its the to try pile. Well I guess that was the fragrance stars aligning, because this smells like the designer version of 1899. Smooth, citrus laced cinnamon, way nicer than I expected, I almost prefer it to 1899's dry down (but you can't beat that aromatic opening!)

Guys looking for Spice Bomb alternatives, this is worth a peek. It. comes in a cool bottle too. :)

Nicolai - Cuir Cuba Intense

First sample wearing, opens with a sheer, sparkling anise / lemon, dry down goes to a candied lavender for me. This would be a nice change fo pace on a summer day. The dry down is almost identical to Parle Moi de Parfums Haute Provence to my nose, but lets see if it makes another shift over the next few hours.
As seems to be the norm with Nicolai, the opening and dry down are complexly different.

Nicolai - Baikal Leather Intense
One thing is for sure with Nicolai, the names don't tell you what the scent will be like.
This is by far the safest Nicolai I've tired, essentially a modern woody masculine, of course done with Patricia's touch and quality ingredients. But at the end of the day, it makes me feel like I'm in a duty free perfume shop, and for some reason I find that a bit depressing.

As I've continued writing this post, the leather note is starting to show through, and I'm liking it more. Let's see where this goes.
Maybe the best thing about these Nicolai fragrances is the transitions they make.

There is a 'coldness' to the scent, I suppose that's one thing the name does give away, with Baikal lake's location.

Follow up on Cuir Cuba Intense
Again to me, just nothing like the name. I don't have any issue with that, but just saying it to quell expectations.
Opening was a beautiful sheer sparking citrus, with tobacco mixed in to give it depth. That was about 5 minutes, then a 'melon' calone like fresh note comes in for another 5-10 minuets, and that starts to morph into candied lavender, which then morphs into what I call 'hairspray' lavender. It was a fun ride, but again not sure it's my thing.
The opening was very reminiscent of Parfum d'Empire Iskander with a hint of Fougere Bengal from the same house. After that first 5 minutes it was Parle Moi de Parfum Haute Provence.

Overall, I think these would both be better in warm weather and will put them aside till that comes.

Back