The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Why I did not reacquire this sooner when my bottle ran dry almost 10 years ago is beyond me and belief. Still a classic & yet modern masterpiece that no male wardrobe should be without. Just a beautiful fragrance from the master himself, Jacques Polge....

765692980_fullsize.jpg

Commodity Vetiver
XKKS57n.jpg

Nicolai - Patchouli Intense
With my purchase of New York Intense, I was able to request 2 free samples. At first I wondered at the small size of the sample bottles, but I needn’t have, they are both performance beasts, and the sample bottle has an excellent sprayer. One spray is enough!

With all of these, I think you really just have to try them if they sound interesting to you. None of them have been what I expected, and being an avid review reader, I find every review hits one of the many facets, and none really help you know what to expect.

That said, I did one small spray this afternoon and a second more normal spray this PM. I really wouldn’t be able to handle more than one spray with the blaster of an opening it has.

The opening is an orange tinged geranium, and if you fear florals, will perhaps feel too feminine at first blush, before you’re able to assimilate the accord.
There’s a powderiness , a spicyness, at times it feels almost like a papyrus, it’s a shape shifter that way. Essentially, it’s an amber, but without the usual high injection of sugar wet that puts me off most ambers. The texture constantly shifts, sometimes this, sometimes that.

What I wouldn’t call it is a patchouli forward scent. The patchouli is more of a binder, a harmonizer.

Deeper dry down goes more peppery, spicy, it’s become an incense and projection settles to something more 21st century.

Still I didn’t hit it all, there’s rose in here, and lavender too, every nose will pick out different aspects first, and I suspect different aspects will reveal themselves each wearing.

@MarkB you have this, right? How do your thoughts compare to mine? It’s definitely not a beginner’s fragrance by any means, it’s such a departure from any department store frag, like stepping back to a royal courtroom, yet it doesn’t feel dated at all. A quality I highly prize.

This vs New York Intense, it’s a coming toss, they both clearly come from the same stock, overlap in some ways, and are miles apart in others.

Must try for folks wanting something a Little more. YOu may or may not want to own it but will want ti experience it at least once.

Nicolai - Patchouli Intense
With my purchase of New York Intense, I was able to request 2 free samples. At first I wondered at the small size of the sample bottles, but I needn’t have, they are both performance beasts, and the sample bottle has an excellent sprayer. One spray is enough!

With all of these, I think you really just have to try them if they sound interesting to you. None of them have been what I expected, and being an avid review reader, I find every review hits one of the many facets, and none really help you know what to expect.

That said, I did one small spray this afternoon and a second more normal spray this PM. I really wouldn’t be able to handle more than one spray with the blaster of an opening it has.

The opening is an orange tinged geranium, and if you fear florals, will perhaps feel too feminine at first blush, before you’re able to assimilate the accord.
There’s a powderiness , a spicyness, at times it feels almost like a papyrus, it’s a shape shifter that way. Essentially, it’s an amber, but without the usual high injection of sugar wet that puts me off most ambers. The texture constantly shifts, sometimes this, sometimes that.

What I wouldn’t call it is a patchouli forward scent. The patchouli is more of a binder, a harmonizer.

Deeper dry down goes more peppery, spicy, it’s become an incense and projection settles to something more 21st century.

Still I didn’t hit it all, there’s rose in here, and lavender too, every nose will pick out different aspects first, and I suspect different aspects will reveal themselves each wearing.

@MarkB you have this, right? How do your thoughts compare to mine? It’s definitely not a beginner’s fragrance by any means, it’s such a departure from any department store frag, like stepping back to a royal courtroom, yet it doesn’t feel dated at all. A quality I highly prize.

This vs New York Intense, it’s a coming toss, they both clearly come from the same stock, overlap in some ways, and are miles apart in others.

Must try for folks wanting something a Little more. YOu may or may not want to own it but will want ti experience it at least once.
Yeah I have it and love it. You pretty much nailed it on the scent description. Also with the “don’t overspray” comment. This is a strong frag and a little goes a long was. Sillage and projection are a 10 with this one.

Back