The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Well.... My official thought is, if you like it then you found an awesome value!

Originally I thought you might be curious what I would think of a $3 wine. Again, refer to original response. But in terms of general quality of super low cost wines, one has to think of the fixed costs of bringing a bottle the the shelf and then realize what is left to pay for what you're actually drinking. After the profit for the store, profit for the winery, shipping cost, labeling cost, bottling costs, cost of the bottle, the cork etc. How much of that $3 is actually left to pay for the grapes/wine itself. Not much. I'll post a picture below that is from Europe, but illustrates the point. For folks that are looking for a super market wine, there tends to be a large difference in quality between a $5 wine and $15-20 because most of that added cost can go to what's actually in the bottle. The same is true in reverse for ultra high end wines, but that's a different discussion.

In terms of sulfites (not sulfates), the general consensus is that isn't what is causing headaches most of the time unless you truly have an allergy. In which case you would also get a headache from other foods that have sulfites. You guys know I'm sure, often the reason is simple dehydration and people not treating wine like any other alcohol and making sure they're getting enough water with it. The other causes are actually tannins or histamines. Red wines have tannins because the tannins are in the grape skin and they are fermented in contact with the skins (thus the red colour). The only way to avoid that is if you're sensative to tannins, avoid red wines. Aged wines can histamines believe it or not. One response the body has to histamines if you are sensitive is headache. One way to check that is if you know of a wine that gives you a headache every time you drink it, just take a Claratin before having it and see if it still happens.

Now, why did this wine not give a headache? Who knows. Maybe Sir Easter Hair was drinking more water than usual. Or, being a very inexpensive wine, the red colour was obtained through dye and not by being in contact with the grape skins so there was little tannin. Yes this happens and more with cheap wines. Or this wine was aged for about 45min before being bottled, so histamines weren't an issue.
Thanks Dave for this informative post. I have recently been reading up on histamines (not specific to wine but for food in general) and your info is spot on with what I have been reading. Thanks for this this informative post!

Just out of curiosity....I was in Trader Joe's yesterday and looking at some of their whiskeys, I was very intrigued. I know Trader Joe's has some actual known distilleries to distill their spirits and some of them are supposed to be good. I didn't bite the bullet yesterday, but was wondering what others thought about their whiskeys. I'm not much into Scotch, because frankly I can't stand Scotch that is on a lower end, and the one's I do like I will go broke quickly buying t hem up. I really like Bourbon, Rye Whiskey, Irish Whiskey, and the such. Just curious what the Cadre thinks!

Overrated is what I would call it. I am not super fond of fruity whisky
Yeah, I usually don't like flavored whiskey but I liked it. I won't buy a full size bottle, though. It's the kind of liquor that can get you in trouble - it doesn't seem to be as strong as it actually is and it would be very easy to have too much.

Just out of curiosity....I was in Trader Joe's yesterday and looking at some of their whiskeys, I was very intrigued. I know Trader Joe's has some actual known distilleries to distill their spirits and some of them are supposed to be good. I didn't bite the bullet yesterday, but was wondering what others thought about their whiskeys. I'm not much into Scotch, because frankly I can't stand Scotch that is on a lower end, and the one's I do like I will go broke quickly buying t hem up. I really like Bourbon, Rye Whiskey, Irish Whiskey, and the such. Just curious what the Cadre thinks!
Never tried Trader Joe’s as we don’t have any close to us and all spirits other than beer and wine have to be purchased from the local ABC board store. Inexpensive whiskey can be really good but usually similar to @NurseDave post about cheap wine the difference can be amazing if it sits in a barrel even days, weeks, months longer. Bourbon to be classified as bourbon had to be in a new charred barrel and must sit for at least 2 years before bottling. If it isn’t then they have to call it whiskey but can’t call it bourbon. Many of the processes that go into making Bourbon and whiskey and whisky are extremely similar. Differences in type of grain, how the grains are malted, how the grains are smoked, how the grains are fermented and distilled, how the end result is filtered, stored, and for how long all effect the end result. My suggestion is find what you like most and then hone in on what makes it different. You may be surprised that your favorite spirit is made almost exactly like another so then you can add other brands to the list of the ones you buy with regularity. Me personally I like most whisky/whiskey just change the way I drink it depending on what whisky/whiskey I am having. Some I add a tad bit of Diet Coke, some get the rocks, and a very select few go down neat. Hope this helps a bit and if not I can try and explain it better.

Never tried Trader Joe’s as we don’t have any close to us and all spirits other than beer and wine have to be purchased from the local ABC board store. Inexpensive whiskey can be really good but usually similar to @NurseDave post about cheap wine the difference can be amazing if it sits in a barrel even days, weeks, months longer. Bourbon to be classified as bourbon had to be in a new charred barrel and must sit for at least 2 years before bottling. If it isn’t then they have to call it whiskey but can’t call it bourbon. Many of the processes that go into making Bourbon and whiskey and whisky are extremely similar. Differences in type of grain, how the grains are malted, how the grains are smoked, how the grains are fermented and distilled, how the end result is filtered, stored, and for how long all effect the end result. My suggestion is find what you like most and then hone in on what makes it different. You may be surprised that your favorite spirit is made almost exactly like another so then you can add other brands to the list of the ones you buy with regularity. Me personally I like most whisky/whiskey just change the way I drink it depending on what whisky/whiskey I am having. Some I add a tad bit of Diet Coke, some get the rocks, and a very select few go down neat. Hope this helps a bit and if not I can try and explain it better.
Thanks TJ! I am no stranger to picking up good bourbons and whiskeys. I am partial to Rye Whiskeys but lately have been branching out in Irish Whiskeys. My favorite Whiskey of all time is Sazerac 18 Year Old. When I first discovered it, I paid $27 a bottle. That was about 13 years ago. Prices and demand have rapidly increased and it is almost impossible to get now. It's almost a elusive as some of the Pappy Van Winkle Bourbons.

Thanks TJ! I am no stranger to picking up good bourbons and whiskeys. I am partial to Rye Whiskeys but lately have been branching out in Irish Whiskeys. My favorite Whiskey of all time is Sazerac 18 Year Old. When I first discovered it, I paid $27 a bottle. That was about 13 years ago. Prices and demand have rapidly increased and it is almost impossible to get now. It's almost a elusive as some of the Pappy Van Winkle Bourbons.
Lately almost all the Rye whiskey I can find are all made using similar processes but all differently made than the traditional floor malted scotch. The Copper Fox stuff in my last pic from this thread is a floor malted (Stottish process) American Whiskey. They can’t call it scotch because it wasn’t made in Scotland. I’m lately trying to become a bit more knowledgeable about which Spirits I like and why and what makes them different.

Gotta say that as far as cheaper Whiskeys go, this stuff is pretty decent. Not particularly smooth but good flavor. This was the first try neat and I think I prefer this one on the rocks.20190430_211407.jpg

Back